Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Neil's bubbletop volksrod build
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 21, 22, 23  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
timcurtis67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: Neil's bubbletop volksrod build Reply with quote

HeidelbergJohn4.0 wrote:
I just want to see you push it out of the garage and take a few pictures of it.

With the bubble on the car too....
nshaddox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: Neil's bubbletop volksrod build Reply with quote

i've got a pretty steep drop off from the garage to the alley, and not much more room to get a good shot of it by just rolling it out. so i'm kind of waiting until its running and driving before the big reveal. want to be sure I can get it back in once its out...

payday is wednesday, which is good because i currently have -40$ and owe my girlfriend a few hundred on top of that. but once all debts are cleared I can move forward again on the last few missing bits.

-cables (clutch, accelerator, ebrake)
-alternator setup
-powdercoating tins
-tune up stuff
-gas tank sealing
-remaining wiring
-rear tires

now that I'm back at work realistically no sooner than another month for all of that.
VeeDubWolf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Neil's bubbletop volksrod build Reply with quote

Nice! Here's to resolving debts and getting the last bits! Cool
-Plus a wide assortment of various parts'n'junk
gr8cobbler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Neil's bubbletop volksrod build Reply with quote

I'm about ready to start a crowd sourcing campaign if it will help.... Wink

Hope things are going well for you and the bubble top, looking forward to updates on this exceptionally cool concept to reality...

Being a cheap old fart is just a front for my actual lack of money. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nshaddox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: Neil's bubbletop volksrod build Reply with quote

just for parts and free time now. have some electronic bits on the way for the tail light project and just ordered tires and alternator as well. will be a few weeks yet before any more fabrication takes place most likely.
nshaddox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Neil's bubbletop volksrod build Reply with quote

Quick question, on a stock bug pan, how much ebrake conduit is there sticking out from the frame horns?
nshaddox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: Neil's bubbletop volksrod build Reply with quote

got tires mounted and installed and set the car down on the ground for the first time ever. think I am going to have to reindex spring plates up a notch or get some spacers to move the rear wheels out just a touch more. pretty happy with the overall look though.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

gr8cobbler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: Neil's bubbletop volksrod build Reply with quote

I really love this build, it speaks to me. Those tires are the bomb on this machine. While I can't wait to see the car finished in the light of day, I will be so disappointed to know I can't look forward to more Posts on the build. You rock!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VeeDubWolf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Neil's bubbletop volksrod build Reply with quote

Looks awesome! Cool
henry roberts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 7:08 am    Post subject: Re: Neil's bubbletop volksrod build Reply with quote

this will really be something else. amazing work.

please tell us you have something totally silly planned for the induction and engine detail departments.

in my mind I visualize the heater horns cut off the fan housing and a big bellmouth on the fan opening. a magneto and something like twin, east west centre mounted DCNF's with factory cast venturi's, way up high with a Perspex bugcatcher-esq airbox on top. (basically the automotive styling equivalent of an immaculately presented midget in a custom tailored suit and $1000 dollar shoes yelling "cop this jimmy" jumping up and head butting you in the face)
nshaddox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Neil's bubbletop volksrod build Reply with quote

at some point i definitely want to go to a hornless shroud, but i don't have the means or contacts to a shop that can weld up the shroud for me. i did shave all the bosses off the rear part of the shroud that would have held the belt covering tin. induction by dual 34 solex carbs lh and rh for symmetry...half the stuff you are talking about i don't understand, prolly because of the australian accent.

its just a 1600cc so nothing crazy right now. but part of the idea of building this car was to have something cool to bolt other engines to in the future. i cruise through the bad ass engines fest thread for inspiration pretty regularly.

i don't even know what to say about all the midget talk...glad you like the project tho.
Patty B.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Neil's bubbletop volksrod build Reply with quote

THAT looks so freaking good on the ground! Cool
gr8cobbler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 6:32 am    Post subject: Re: Neil's bubbletop volksrod build Reply with quote

Hi Neil, don't mean to be a pest but what's happening? Wink

nshaddox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Neil's bubbletop volksrod build Reply with quote

I'm working nonstop still, but on house projects or for my employer. I've been accumulating parts still but all little shit. Like speedo cable, 12v dash bulbs, measuring cables for shortening, alternator, tune up stuff. Nothing major to show currently.
gr8cobbler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Neil's bubbletop volksrod build Reply with quote

Just wanted to share some inspiration on your build journey. John Lennon? said "life is what happens when you're busy making other plans". Smile Keep the faith brother, we'll be patient.

VeeDubWolf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Neil's bubbletop volksrod build Reply with quote

We can wait, we'll just look at all the pictures you've posted thus far! Cool
rmh60bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Neil's bubbletop volksrod build Reply with quote

The beauty of a Bug is, they teach patience. Slow & Steady is my motto on the volksrod. Why rush when you can take your time and enjoy the build. Especially when my sons are helping !

Love watching this build ! Keep up the good work !
Slow & Steady is the key
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nshaddox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: Neil's bubbletop volksrod build Reply with quote

so, haven't touched the car project in a long while; busy with house project to keep the GF happy. still need to fabricate alternator mount. going to install 1" spacers out back, reindex spring plates up 1 notch to help clear body and give a bit more positive camber. lots of little wiring jobs. Been accumulating electronic dodads to build my own LED taillight.

My dad sent me this link today
http://jalopnik.com/1788103372

So now I'm thinking 'Parkplatzhundkocher' is another potential name for this build, if I ever finish up my house projects and get to work on it.
VeeDubWolf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Neil's bubbletop volksrod build Reply with quote

Thanks for keeping us up to date, keeping the GF happy is important and neat link, thanks! Your dad has a good eye! Cool
gr8cobbler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Neil's bubbletop volksrod build Reply with quote

Parkplatzhundkocher Laughing Too funny, but you'll have some 'splaining to do at the car shows.

The Volkskocher might be appropriate and keep the ASPCA off your back.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 21, 22, 23  Next
Jump to:
Page 14 of 23

Jump to: