Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Neil's bubbletop volksrod build
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 21, 22, 23  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: Neil's bubbletop volksrod build Reply with quote

nshaddox wrote:
looks like IRS is different from what I've seen. it doesn't have the shrouding for the slinger since there is no need for a slinger on an IRS application.

True.. (never have confirmed this) ... while the IRS. is not shrouded nor has a slinger.. it measures the same as the 68 up swing.. It's simply assembled sligerless.. as so many 58-64's.. are..

Pure speculation.. ^ from something I read.. WAY back.

Bottom line.. measure.. know what you have.. so you know what to combine to use..

Part #'s ref..
Here..
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nshaddox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Neil's bubbletop volksrod build Reply with quote

Well I just checked. I have one 67 style and one 68 style and neither has the associated bearing cap. Go figure. Probably will remove the ones that are on there and strip them for powder coating like I should have done in the first place. Oath have the long splines axles in them though, and the retainers that take the o ring.
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:00 am    Post subject: Re: Neil's bubbletop volksrod build Reply with quote

nshaddox wrote:
Oath have the long splines axles in them though, and the retainers that take the o ring.

Oath ? = Idea Both Question Laughing

Does it.. do you have the long tubes too?
If not..
You cant use long axles in short tubes..

Wait.. Think =I guess you are meaning you plan to just use the short ones ?
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nshaddox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:06 am    Post subject: Re: Neil's bubbletop volksrod build Reply with quote

oath=both. my bad.

yes, it currently has a set of long 67 style axles on it. i thought i had a set of 68 axles with tubes, but i have a spare set of 68 axles with one 68 tube and one 67 tube and no bearing caps. so I'll just use the 67 tubes that are on there now and swap to the 68 axles. no big deal.

did some work on the carbs yesterday. swapped from the teeny tiny stock venturis to some 28mm venturis. first official work on the car in months.
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: Neil's bubbletop volksrod build Reply with quote

nshaddox wrote:

yes, it currently has a set of long 67 style axles on it. i thought i had a set of 68 axles with tubes, but i have a spare set of 68 axles with one 68 tube and one 67 tube and no bearing caps. so I'll just use the 67 tubes that are on there now and swap to the 68 axles. no big deal.

Gotcha.. Wink

Usually and often edited
nshaddox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: Neil's bubbletop volksrod build Reply with quote

a small amount of progress this weekend.

fabricated a bracket to hide the coil under the rear tin work. it bolts to the case parting line hardware and i believe will be stout enough to not break. It just barely fits, like everything else on this build pretty much.

also disassembled the alternator and clocked the stator coil and rear housing 90deg off so that the battery post and pigtail connectors would be oriented towards the top. started fabricating alternator brackets but only made 1 part and then stopped because I don't have any M5 hardware for the shroud. have to order some more nuts and bolts from McMaster I guess.

hope to get out there in the next week to finish the alternator bracket. At that point, I think all the engine related fabrication work will be done and I can start disassembling again to get things powder coated.
mi xj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:58 am    Post subject: Re: Neil's bubbletop volksrod build Reply with quote

Will this be in the basement at cobo this weekend? If not it should be. Very Happy
nshaddox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: Neil's bubbletop volksrod build Reply with quote

nah, its gonna be in my garage and I'm gonna be working on it.
nshaddox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Neil's bubbletop volksrod build Reply with quote

managed to get some more work done on the car this weekend. finished up alternator brackets. followed a thread in the type 3 forums for some ideas and I think it worked out pretty well. I think there is only one more piece of tin to modify before I can disassemble and get some powder coating done. Planning on pulling out trans and removing axle tubes and spring plates to do them too since I have to swap axles anyways to run the thing drums and it will just look nicer.

heywebonya
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: Neil's bubbletop volksrod build Reply with quote

What is up with the best build of the century?
nshaddox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: Neil's bubbletop volksrod build Reply with quote

no news since last update, was doing some work in attic because we had some cold weeks and just got back from a vacation in Galapagos. should be able to get 2 work days in this weekend, but probably wont have any pictures because I managed to destroy my phone by taking it snorkeling with me.

plan is to disassemble, get stuff ready for powdercoating, and swap axles. nothing picture worthy anyways.
nshaddox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:19 am    Post subject: Re: Neil's bubbletop volksrod build Reply with quote

Shipped out clutch cable and accelerator cable for shortening yesterday. Then disassembled engine tins to drop off for powder coating next week. Pulled engine too clear room for pulling transmission for axle swap which will happen Monday.

Spent some time trying to pull dent on top of gas tank too. Not sure if I'm improving or worsening the situation but I'll definitely need to spend a lot more time on it.

No phone no pics.
nshaddox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: Neil's bubbletop volksrod build Reply with quote

swapped to 68 axles and thing rear drums to increase track width in rear yesterday. also took all engine tins and some other bits to get powder coated.
nshaddox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: Neil's bubbletop volksrod build Reply with quote

cables are shortened and on the way back to me as of yesterday.

took the tank by a radiator shop this morning on the way to work to see if they could pressure test it to find any leaks. I have like 10 pin holes to address some how. they said they don't do any sealing of gas tanks in house and called me up just now to tell me that the place they use to outsource the job didn't want to mess with it because of the internal baffling. So, anyone have any experience with gas tank sealers available online? Or any locals in Michigan know of a shop that seals gas tanks?
nshaddox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Neil's bubbletop volksrod build Reply with quote

Picked up stuff from powdercoater.

Pretty happy overall. Just a couple of spots need overspray cleaned up. Only a couple areas with some light coverage, but nothing that should be visible on car. Probably gonna spray those with some black spray paint just because.

Also spray painted inner t3 fan after work today.
nshaddox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: Neil's bubbletop volksrod build Reply with quote

received shortened cables, hopefully they are the correct length now

also picked up the gas tank yesterday, now its all sealed up. probably spent more than any other aircooled vw guy has ever spent at a radiator shop to get it done, they had to drill and plug 13 holes in it to be able to blast all the insides due to the internal baffling. Next tank i build will not have as much baffling. they made fun of me for being an engineer when I dropped it off. But hey, lifetime warranty so thats pretty cool.

they drilled a vent hole in here so it would actually fill easily, should have thought of that before...

We will see how well it all holds up in the future. plan is to get someone to help me flip the body over so I can finish welding up the rocker areas this weekend. had to get a new gun for the MIG welder but that showed up a few days ago so there should be some good progress in the next couple of days. After that its time to flip it back over and reassemble for 'final' assembly. Going to try to get it driving by the Ypsilanti show later in May.
nshaddox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: Neil's bubbletop volksrod build Reply with quote

Had some friends help me flip the body this morning.

They were all happy I got them up so early to help out.

Yesterday did most of the final assembly on the engine. Fans, shrouds, top tins, coil, alternator all in place. Had to remove and reinstall breather tower to get proper alignment to shroud. Also repaired a couple stripped threads on the case with my new timesert set. Like that set a lot. Found one more bolt that's snapped off down low for the lower tins so going to try to drill and extract that one later.

Got the pivot for the gas pedal tacked to the pan before flipping the body. Have to weld in the nut for the pedal stop on the bottom later and form some ridges to keep it aligned right. Then it's just patch up the rockers, flip the body over, and final assemble.
nshaddox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Neil's bubbletop volksrod build Reply with quote

Been getting some things done after work this week so far.

Finish weld former fenders to inner rockers

Finish weld front wheel wells to inner rockers. Trimmed flange to size, punched holes, folded, plug welded.

Formed retention ribs for pedal stop plate, welded in captive but in bottom for it, welded in gas pedal pivot.

Also been working my way around car cleaning up stuff that's easier to get to upside down, like steering shaft clearancing piece and front body mounts.

Also figured I'd post a picture of how I did the trans raise from the bottom since I don't think I did so before.

Basically just have to form the two patch panels for the rockers and get them welded in and the body will be ready to flip back around. Might take a vacation day to continue this productive streak.
Bashr52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 4:54 am    Post subject: Re: Neil's bubbletop volksrod build Reply with quote

Are you going to fill this gap between the body and pan?

nshaddox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 5:45 am    Post subject: Re: Neil's bubbletop volksrod build Reply with quote

Nope, keep in mind that the sides separate from the center section of the body and that in theory, everything can be removed from the pan. The piece that bolts to the pan rail is a right angle, so there is a lip going over the pan rail on the top side. So basically the gap is already filled but from the top. The body is effectively channeled over the pan by 2". There is also a pan gasket between the sides and the pan rail to seal it up.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 21, 22, 23  Next
Jump to:
Page 18 of 23

Jump to: