Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Neil's bubbletop volksrod build
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 21, 22, 23  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sixfootdan
Samba Smartass

Location: \Lo*ca"tion\, n. 1. The act or process of locating.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: Neil's bubbletop volksrod build Reply with quote

I noticed the base frame is not round and has some shape at the front, Won't that make it more difficult to form the bubble on top? I love this build by the way. Cool

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
[/quote]

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nshaddox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: Neil's bubbletop volksrod build Reply with quote

Yes the bubble is a bit squared off up front to make room for the steering wheel. Not sure if it was worth the extra work for the 1-2" of extra space I get for it but space to fit inside is important since I want this to be a driver. I imagine it might be a bit trickier to blow the bubble with a non round shape, but the theory behind it is the same regardless of shape and I only need 15-18" of height in the bubble which isn't asking for much.

We will see...
mfergel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: Neil's bubbletop volksrod build Reply with quote

How do you plan on doing the bubble?
nshaddox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: Neil's bubbletop volksrod build Reply with quote

My current plan is to build some sort of oven out of an industrial shelving unit and a couple of propane burners like you would use for homebrewing. From what I read 5yrs ago on the topic, you sandwich the plexiglass between two sheets of plywood, one with a small 1/2" hole in the middle of you bubble facing up, and one with the ID of the bubble frame you see here facing down. You heat it until the plexiglass gets melts around 400deg F and then use an air compressor to blow in air from the top. Then you take it off the heat and let it cool down once you get the shape how you want it. That's the theory at least. My artist friend wants to help and says he has some ideas for a vacuum former too. It's going to be a trial and error thing I bet.
nshaddox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Neil's bubbletop volksrod build Reply with quote

did some sheet metal forming today. built first 3 pieces for gas tank. all need some tweaking still, but should be welding in a couple work days.

first put together a high tech roll bender.

then put some rolls in a piece of 18ga to form the bottom of the tank. tried to match tunnel shape for the trough. easier said than done but got it close enough so that I think it will work without further adjustment in the 'roller.'

wheeled some shape into the top panel

planning to do some beads on this piece too for looks/strength.

cut some forms from the plywood the English wheel came in and hammer formed the longer end piece.

trough is too deep though so have to tweak it some tomorrow. gas gauge should still fit.

all pieces following design pretty well.

also picked up a steering wheel for 60 bones off craigslist. bit larger od than I planned to make but if it doesn't fit as is I will make a new rim after adding more dish. figure either way i'll save a ton of time.

nshaddox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Neil's bubbletop volksrod build Reply with quote

more progress on gas tank.

shortened trough on long side first.
clecos to hold bottom to long end flange while shape adjusted.

checked fit before welding

welded both sides of flange

hammer formed short end in same fashion as long end from yesterday.
test fit

welded

about a fingers width between hood and tank

plenty of leg room

traced out hood lines on tank top, rolled with bead rolling wheel on English wheel

extended 80mm gas cap neck. probably would have worked fine at the height of the stock flange, but this will allow me to adjust height sticking out of hood and also help keep gas from sloshing out I hope.

mfergel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: Neil's bubbletop volksrod build Reply with quote

Have you drawn any sketches of what you are looking for it to look like?
nshaddox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: Neil's bubbletop volksrod build Reply with quote

The car as a whole or the tank? Answer is yes either way.
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: Neil's bubbletop volksrod build Reply with quote

Your location needs to be changed to .. .... Hammertrammer MI.. Laughing

You got some serious metal forming skills man.. Applause

Its somewhat a lost and forgotten art..

Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tattooed_pariah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Neil's bubbletop volksrod build Reply with quote

I don't have anything to add so I don't comment much, but this is awesome!!! keep up the great work man! I wish I had even a fraction of your talent!

"Never worry about stepping on people's toes. People who get their toes stepped on are either sitting down, or standing still on the job."
-Admiral Arleigh Burke, USN(ret.)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nshaddox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Neil's bubbletop volksrod build Reply with quote

in the interest of not wanting my balls to freeze off I've been working on inside projects for the last few days. did take some time to make some updated sketches though. this time I even uploaded them in the correct orientation!

daanbc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Neil's bubbletop volksrod build Reply with quote

Reminds me of the old HotWheels car. Awesome fab. work.!
Firetruck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: Neil's bubbletop volksrod build Reply with quote

Awesome work Sir! You are an artist!

Make sure to add some baffle plate / wash plate to prevent the gas from moving too much inside the tank.
mfergel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: Neil's bubbletop volksrod build Reply with quote

Great looking design.
nshaddox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Neil's bubbletop volksrod build Reply with quote

thanks for all the motivating words.

got a bit more done today but also injured myself so it will be a few days yet before I can finish the tank up.

steering column will pass through this tube. OD of stock column housing just fits in the ID of this tube.

good alignment at steering box end

fuel bung welded on too

fuel line will exit out rhd dimmer switch pressing to make it look like it was designed to be that way.
Ghosttowncs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Neil's bubbletop volksrod build Reply with quote

This is awesome! Can't wait to see more.
ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Neil's bubbletop volksrod build Reply with quote

nshaddox wrote:
My current plan is to build some sort of oven out of an industrial shelving unit and a couple of propane burners like you would use for homebrewing. From what I read 5yrs ago on the topic, you sandwich the plexiglass between two sheets of plywood, one with a small 1/2" hole in the middle of you bubble facing up, and one with the ID of the bubble frame you see here facing down. You heat it until the plexiglass gets melts around 400deg F and then use an air compressor to blow in air from the top. Then you take it off the heat and let it cool down once you get the shape how you want it. That's the theory at least. My artist friend wants to help and says he has some ideas for a vacuum former too. It's going to be a trial and error thing I bet.

I think I remember that Ed Roth's bubble tops where made in a Pizza oven!
https://www.google.com/search?q=Ed+Roth%27s+bubble...mp;bih=858
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tisius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 4:04 am    Post subject: Re: Neil's bubbletop volksrod build Reply with quote

C Cool Cool L !!!!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Keith
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Neil's bubbletop volksrod build Reply with quote

I'm loving this build! Can't wait to see it done!

"I firmly believe that some villagers from Botswana could probably build a better road than PennDot."- Splitty

"If you do anything to your car someone will hate on you for it. People absolutely love to complain and find fault with others. Don't let it bother you. Just live and have fun."- Lind
nshaddox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Neil's bubbletop volksrod build Reply with quote

If anyone knows any aluminum welders near me in Detroit, I'd appreciate it if contacts were shared. Got some bits that need some attention.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 21, 22, 23  Next
Jump to:
Page 3 of 23

Jump to: