Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Neil's bubbletop volksrod build
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 21, 22, 23  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
auslander
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Neil's bubbletop volksrod build Reply with quote

Very cool

66 POS Bus
69 Class 11 Beetle
71 Cat-Look Beetle
64 Old Skool Baja
74 "Swamp" Thing

!!! F**k Cancer !!!
Time's Tide will Smother You
"You can't throw a rock in Long Beach without hitting a tweaker" Steve Tucci
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bashr52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:09 am    Post subject: Re: Neil's bubbletop volksrod build Reply with quote

Wow that looks cool! What are the plans with the housing on the back? Is there a way to tuck the lights down low? The body lines are so sleek on this thing that housing just looks out of place for some reason...

Is it just the angle of this pic, or is the steering wheel really off-center from the seat?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
nshaddox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: Neil's bubbletop volksrod build Reply with quote

This car looks way better without lights, but I want to drive it, so I have to have them. I kind of like how the tail light housing ties in with the headlights. they look like rocket boosters or something to me. and they also help draw attention away from all the junk that has to be exposed on the engine and make the car seem a bit more symmetrical than it actually is.

If anyone wants to sketch out some alternative lighting ideas I'm of course open to suggestions. I haven't cut any of the wiring harness for the lights yet so there is plenty of wiring available to move things around still.

The steering wheel is really off center. there is no real way to build something as tiny as this and fit in everything that has to be fit in and still have all the proportions 100% right. I'm right handed so it shouldn't be a big deal for me. Its not really any more awkward than a karmann ghia or anything. I'm just happy everything fits, battery, gas tank, steering wheel, bubble hinges, me...you really have to see it in person to appreciate how ridiculous it is that I got it as close to the original sketch as I did and still ended up with a hopefully soon to be functional vehicle.
eyetzr Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Neil's bubbletop volksrod build Reply with quote

I am thinking tail light air cleaners. Still keep the rocket booster look with the added benefit of night time afterburner look.
eyetzr Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Neil's bubbletop volksrod build Reply with quote

I am thinking something like this. You can get some reproductions of these.
heywebonya
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Neil's bubbletop volksrod build Reply with quote

The lights are great, they are different and I think that is the issue. The design is amazing!!!

Are you planning to paint the car?
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Neil's bubbletop volksrod build Reply with quote

I love the front lights, but something has to change in the rear. Not sure what, but something. I like the idea of air cleaners/tail lights.
Bashr52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:13 am    Post subject: Re: Neil's bubbletop volksrod build Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
I love the front lights, but something has to change in the rear. Not sure what, but something. I like the idea of air cleaners/tail lights.

Agreed, the fronts are cool, but that single light in the rear just kills the lines of the car to me..

How about something underneath the heater box fan outlets? They would be between the exhaust tubes and fan housing.

VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: Neil's bubbletop volksrod build Reply with quote

I like the rear "pod" more than the front light pods..
Looks like a rocket booster.. which fits perfect..
I'd just tuck the front ones quite a bit to help body line flow, level out the rear one.. .. .. and call it good..

Like the envision..

Not my car.. not my creation.. so.. can only visualize and suggest from a different point of view..
After creating quite a few Kustom's over the years.. I know while an outside perspective can sometimes.. cause a slight change .. can make a world of difference..

One of the most gratifying things to do..... take something that's been rolling around in your head ....and apply it to a creation.. and have it all work. .

Kudos on this progression.. Applause

Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited

Last edited by VOLKSWAGNUT on Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:21 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
timcurtis67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: Neil's bubbletop volksrod build Reply with quote

2X

The front lights aren't like the drawing. They don't flow with the rest of the car. The rear light is perfect.

Just my opinion, like they say, everyone has one...

VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:
I like the rear "pod" more than the front light pods..
Looks like a rocket booster.. which fits perfect..
I'd just tuck the front ones quite a bit to help body line flow, level out the rear one.. .. .. and call it good..

Like the envision..

Not my car.. not my creation.. so.. can only visualize and suggest from a different point of view..
After creating quite a Kustom's over the years.. I know while an outside perspective can sometimes.. cause a slight change .. can make a world of difference..

One of the most gratifying things to do..... take something that's been rolling around in your head ....and apply it to a creation.. and have it all work. .

Kudos on this progression.. Applause

EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Neil's bubbletop volksrod build Reply with quote

My thought is to keep a big rear pod, but shrink it just enough that it has one of those glass "STOP" light lenses in it. Then those smaller bullet tail lights would look good for the tail light and turn functions, perhaps tucked to the sides some. (blocking part of the view of the intake manifolds perhaps??)

Safety first! Very Happy
HeidelbergJohn4.0
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Neil's bubbletop volksrod build Reply with quote

A single carb hiding inside of the pod sitting atop FI intake runners. Make up a CHMTL out of LED's that would ring the perimeter of the pod. Two small indicators/ marker lights down on either side of the exhaust.

Think "Land Speeder"

Machette Speedster
2012 Passat TDI SE (sadly sitting in a buyback parking lot somewhere waiting for it's heart to be ripped out.)

Last edited by HeidelbergJohn4.0 on Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:10 pm; edited 2 times in total
nshaddox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Neil's bubbletop volksrod build Reply with quote

So lots of ideas here, let me share mine.

1) paint-yes, eventually...
2) single carb inside pod is interesting, clean thought, might have to go that direction in a future iteration.
3) I have a large 'stop' lens to fit the current pod...
4) was going to mount some peanut turn signals on either side of the pod to act as the turn signals in the back.
5) I wish there was space to mount the headlights like the drawing. There is not.
6) I kind of do like the idea of air cleaners/lights integrated, might have to think about that some more.

Keep the ideas coming, its fun.

interested in what people come up with for headlight alternatives...
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Neil's bubbletop volksrod build Reply with quote

Looks great!

You may have to look into a later model hood to gain a bit more ground clearance (unless you decide to modify the existing one).

I like the Jetsons style rear light pod. Since you're open to suggestions, perhaps a single '59 Caddy rear fin in its place?

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Petfisheric
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Neil's bubbletop volksrod build Reply with quote

My thoughts about the brake lights would be to tie them into some custom air cleaners so they have a filter on the front and red cone like the caddies on the back giving it a thruster motor look then do a Batmobile extension from the fan intake.
WooleyNelson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: Neil's bubbletop volksrod build Reply with quote

Petfisheric wrote:
a Batmobile extension from the fan intake.

YES!!!! and add some red/orange LEDs inside the fan intake to make it glow (especially at night!!) Very Happy Laughing
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Neil's bubbletop volksrod build Reply with quote

Oh shit.. it's hit Facebook.. Hot Vw's.... and spreading on that social drama filled network like the plague ... the interweb now has it....

You're famous now.... Laughing

https://www.facebook.com/HotVWs/?hc_ref=NEWSFEED&fref=nf

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1586682498225919/permalink/1949119071982258/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/311281348951179/?fref=nf

and many many.. more..

..good luck with the popularity.. I told you it was magazine bound... Wink

Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 7:13 am    Post subject: Re: Neil's bubbletop volksrod build Reply with quote

Yeah - a buddy found it so I added the build link to my facebook
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nshaddox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Neil's bubbletop volksrod build Reply with quote

Whoa. That's pretty wild. Famous on the internet...

Thanks for the links-would have been totally oblivious otherwise since vw forums are the only social media sites I participate in.
BaronVonYinzer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Neil's bubbletop volksrod build Reply with quote

One of my buddies posted the pictures to me on FB, then I chased around and found your build thread here, super cool custom! Amazing metal work, can't wait to see what comes next!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 21, 22, 23  Next
Jump to:
Page 16 of 23

Jump to: