Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Engine misses & cuts out under load.
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
edhughes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 3:44 pm    Post subject: Engine misses & cuts out under load. Reply with quote

First, I have searched the forums for a couple hours now to no avail so I decided to post my problem.

71 fastback fuel injected. Just got it a coupe months ago.

brought it home on a trailer for a couple of reasons, brakes among them, today was the first time I tried driving it on the road.

While I was working on the front brakes I cleaned the fuel pump and put on a new filter. I cleaned & gaped the plugs. Compression is around 120 on all cylinders. Electronic ignition upgrade so no points. The engine starts easily and runs and idles fine sitting in the driveway. When it's sitting still I can rev the engine up and it sounds smooth, no misses or coughing. Take it out on the road and accelerate and it misses, coughs and cuts out really bad.

Any suggestions or direction to posts on the topic I've missed?
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine misses & cuts out under load. Reply with quote

When you converted the distributor to electronic points, did you add 3 drops of oil to the felt pad under the rotor? Just asking, as those drops of oil lubricate the mechanical advance mechanism, and that's what your problem sounds like...no advance.

Another possibility is you have a coil getting ready to die, and the way you descibe it is exactly how it was when mine died (carbs and points). Granted I spent 3 days chasing every part of the engine (but the engine) to find it. Surprised
Just a couple of places to look.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine misses & cuts out under load. Reply with quote

Missing/stumbling under load is a classic symptom of timing set incorrectly (too retarded) so you might want to check that first.
Donnie strickland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine misses & cuts out under load. Reply with quote

It can also be a sign of bad plugs/wires. Watch your wires at night and see if they're glowing blue.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine misses & cuts out under load. Reply with quote

I'd check timing and then check out the TVS with a VOM and adjust it.
edhughes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine misses & cuts out under load. Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
When you converted the distributor to electronic points, did you add 3 drops of oil to the felt pad under the rotor? Just asking, as those drops of oil lubricate the mechanical advance mechanism, and that's what your problem sounds like...no advance.

Another possibility is you have a coil getting ready to die, and the way you descibe it is exactly how it was when mine died (carbs and points). Granted I spent 3 days chasing every part of the engine (but the engine) to find it. Surprised
Just a couple of places to look.

Thanks. I didn't do the electronic ignition conversion. It was done by the PO. The advance does seem to be working, at least when I put a timing light on it it appears to advance when rpm is increased.

I think I have a coil around the shop someplace. Maybe I'll try switching it out tomorrow and see if anything changes.
edhughes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine misses & cuts out under load. Reply with quote

OK Checked the timing, it's right on at 0 degrees which, according to the book, is correct for a "U" engine. Swapped in a different coil and nothing changed. Advance appears to be working OK.

At this point I'm pretty sure it's not ignition related. I put a vacuum gauge on the port that feeds the distributor There's almost no vacuum at idle, when revved the vacuum goes up to maybe 15 inches but fluctuates quite bit.

So. probably a vacuum leak somewhere. Maybe at the injector seals? I'm thinking that if it's starving for fuel when under load that may produce the symptoms I'm seeing? I guess the only way to know for sure is to take out the injectors and replace the seals Any other likely places for vacuum leaks?

I'll start searching the forum for info on how to test and adjust the TVS. Seems to me though that if it were the TVS I'd see symptoms when just revving the engine in the driveway?
ddare
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: Engine misses & cuts out under load. Reply with quote

edhughes wrote:
OK Checked the timing, it's right on at 0 degrees which, according to the book, is correct for a "U" engine. Swapped in a different coil and nothing changed. Advance appears to be working OK.

At this point I'm pretty sure it's not ignition related. I put a vacuum gauge on the port that feeds the distributor There's almost no vacuum at idle, when revved the vacuum goes up to maybe 15 inches but fluctuates quite bit.

So. probably a vacuum leak somewhere. Maybe at the injector seals? I'm thinking that if it's starving for fuel when under load that may produce the symptoms I'm seeing? I guess the only way to know for sure is to take out the injectors and replace the seals Any other likely places for vacuum leaks?

I'll start searching the forum for info on how to test and adjust the TVS. Seems to me though that if it were the TVS I'd see symptoms when just revving the engine in the driveway?

I've misadjusted my TVS more than once (apparently one of the manuals printed the wrong instructions, telling you to adjust it the wrong way) and you will definitely get a stumble and some backfiring, especially when you let off the gas.

As far as air leaks, the intake runners to plenum are pretty common to leak, especially if the wrong gaskets are used on the intake runner. JSMskater had a great thread on checking for air leaks that is more thorough advice than I can give:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=219297&highlight=jsmskater+leak

Which reminds me, I need to track down the air leak that's causing my idle to hunt excessively Smile
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: