Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Resurrecting a 1959 Beetle
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
flyboy161
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Ressurecting a 1959 Beetle Reply with quote

That's awesome! Love your car and I didn't know that roof racks create that much drag.

The 1964...Diamond in the rough
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=612776

My 1958 Morocco Bug-
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=611483
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: Ressurecting a 1959 Beetle Reply with quote

Beautiful car.
boxkiteflyer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: Ressurecting a 1959 Beetle Reply with quote

That is a cool 'British' car! Laughing I have a 1958 MGA that shares space in the garage with my '57 and '59 Bugs. They get along famously!
62ItalianRagtop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Ressurecting a 1959 Beetle Reply with quote

Hi Bug-nut, please can you post some detailed pictures of

- seat
- carpet
- door panels
- headliner

?

Thank you
Bug-nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 10:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Ressurecting a 1959 Beetle Reply with quote

62ItalianRagtop wrote:

- seat
- carpet
- door panels
- headliner

?

Thank you

Wow, for some reason your post never showed up in my list, nor did I get the email notification I’m supposed to get. I’m really sorry! If you still need them I can get you some photos of the seats and door panels, however my headliner is not original (it’s been replaced with the later “perforated” style) and I don’t have carpet, but instead the rubber floor mats. To help me get you the right photos, what exactly are you needing to see on the seats and door panels?

1962 Austin-Healey Sprite

Snort wrote:
A 59 Beetle is just an Oval-Window car with aspirations of modernity.
Bug-nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 10:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Ressurecting a 1959 Beetle Reply with quote

Well everyone the car show season is upon us! Last month our local mall cruise-in restarted for the year, and I was finally able to attend last Friday. Enjoy!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The Bugeye Sprite isn’t mine, in fact this was the first time I’ve ever seen it at this show. They sure are neat looking though Very Happy

Snort wrote:
62ItalianRagtop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 11:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Ressurecting a 1959 Beetle Reply with quote

Bug-nut wrote:
62ItalianRagtop wrote:

- seat
- carpet
- door panels
- headliner

?

Thank you

Wow, for some reason your post never showed up in my list, nor did I get the email notification I’m supposed to get. I’m really sorry! If you still need them I can get you some photos of the seats and door panels, however my headliner is not original (it’s been replaced with the later “perforated” style) and I don’t have carpet, but instead the rubber floor mats. To help me get you the right photos, what exactly are you needing to see on the seats and door panels?

Ok, thank you.
I would like to see correct color and pattern of og seats and door panels.
Bug-nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Ressurecting a 1959 Beetle Reply with quote

Well I thought I’d give you guys an update on my solid state voltage regulator expelriment. In short, it’s dead. I went to start it today (after I drove it last Thursday evening) and the generator light wouldn’t light up. Pulled the bulb, found it was burnt out, and so I replaced it. Started it up and then the light wouldn’t go out Confused Uh-oh. So I pulled the regulator cover and immediately smelled that wonderful smell of burnt and hot electronics. After removing it from the generator and taking it apart I found a transistor that has exploded and several spots where the solder has shown signs of overheating and has actually flowed around. I kinda expected this however it did give me quite a bit of useful service before dying and was something fun to tinker on. So needless to say I’m now looking for an original Bosch regulator to put back on it, I’ve had my fun with it but now it’s time to go back to OG. So here’s a question or two for you guys. My Beetle was built in April of 1959, however it has a December of ‘59 engine in it. What amperage generator should it have on it? I looked at the stamping on it and it is a EG 7V 45 generator (7volts 45 Amps correct?) part number is 111903021F. What size regulator should I install on it? I found a couple of 7v 45amp ones on the classified pages and actually emailed the sellers but I wanted to check with you guys that this size is indeed the correct one to install before buying one or two. Thank you for your help!

Snort wrote:
thechief86
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:56 am    Post subject: Re: Ressurecting a 1959 Beetle Reply with quote

Flycutting will change the combustion chamber volume, and raise compression ratio. If it is done, I would do all four chambers in both heads to keep it even.
Bug-nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Ressurecting a 1959 Beetle Reply with quote

My replacement regulator came in today, and I got it installed and so far it seems to be functioning perfectly.

Also here’s some pictures 62ItalianRagtop, I hope they are detailed enough? (I know, my headliner is not original and it looks pretty rough, one day I’ll replace it with the correct one) Very Happy

Also I don’t really have much history about the car, I know it’s the correct color however it has been repainted at least once in its life. So I imagine they may have changed some interior parts as well. The rubber floor mats are new, I bought them from WW. They actually fit very well and have held up nicely!

Snort wrote:
Tommy59fjord
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Ressurecting a 1959 Beetle Reply with quote

Hi, bug-nut,

I've been watching your thread for several months and admiring your beetle... I also have a 1959 fjord blue bug. Once I get the time to rip into it I'll starta thread... it has its original 36hp and paint-I plan on a preservation type restoration similar to yours I turned fifteen 15 this summer so I want to finish it by the time I get my license.

wish me luck!

Tommy in Fl

1972 AMF-Alcort Sunfish

1980 Puch Maxi-Luxe
62ItalianRagtop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Ressurecting a 1959 Beetle Reply with quote

Tommy59fjord wrote:
Hi, bug-nut,

I've been watching your thread for several months and admiring your beetle... I also have a 1959 fjord blue bug. Once I get the time to rip into it I'll starta thread... it has its original 36hp and paint-I plan on a preservation type restoration similar to yours I turned fifteen 15 this summer so I want to finish it by the time I get my license.

wish me luck!

Tommy in Fl

I look forward your post Very Happy
Bug-nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: Ressurecting a 1959 Beetle Reply with quote

Tommy59fjord wrote:
Hi, bug-nut,

wish me luck!

Tommy in Fl

That is awesome to hear! Very Happy I also look forward to your upcoming thread!

Snort wrote:
Bug-nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: Ressurecting a 1959 Beetle Reply with quote

So after many months of searching I finally managed to track down a replacement right-hand sunvisor for my Beetle. I also bought a complete thermostat and venturi ring assembly to install on my car also, seeing as how mine has been missing ever since I got it. So now I get to pull the engine again. Yay! Razz So while it’s out I’ll use the opportunity to go ahead and thoroughly wash and clean the engine, inspect the exhaust system and J-tubes, replace the exhaust gaskets, and clean out the pre-heat pipe on the intake manifold. I also need to try to replace my choke cable, it’s been getting very stiff and hard to work lately. That will be fun!...

Gonna clean and repaint everything and also test the thermostat for proper operation. I also have to replace the little rubber stopper on the venturi ring.

I’ve gotta try to strip the old paint off the left visor/mirror assembly some previous owner painted on there. Hopefully the chrome underneath is in decent shape.

Snort wrote:
stale air
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Ressurecting a 1959 Beetle Reply with quote

Nice score on the right hand visor. They are getting, as im sure you know, very hard to find in nice shape. Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
swharris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 1:21 am    Post subject: Re: Ressurecting a 1959 Beetle Reply with quote

Good you got the 36hp thermo rod. They are different from 40/1500/T3 etc.

Always liked the small big window cars. Congrats.
Bug-nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Ressurecting a 1959 Beetle Reply with quote

Alright here’s a progress report from today. After much struggle and some careful drilling I was able to get the roll pins that hold the visor rods out of the mirror casting. Then I used some Cistristrip to help soften and remove the silver-gray paint on my existing left hand visor/mirror assembly that a previous “restorer” painted onto it. I also was able to get a lot of the warpage out of the left hand mirror. I then used some aluminum polish on the metal bits then some plastic polish on the visors. To reassemble them I found some small tapered roll pins at the local Ace Hardware and installed them with a drop of blue locktite. I didn’t want to use something more permanent incase I get the chrome parts replated one day (the same “restorer” used some fine steel wool or sandpaper on the chrome to help the paint stick. Why oh why?!?! Confused But regardless I’m very happy with the results Very Happy Next project? Cleaning and repainting the thermostat control assembly and ordering some new exhaust gaskets and a new choke cable in preparation to pulling the engine.

Another reason I love Volkswagens. I love how they stamped the “VW” symbol on almost all of their original parts

Snort wrote:
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Ressurecting a 1959 Beetle Reply with quote

Visor revival looks great.

Have you tried using the plastic polish on your blinker and taillight lenses, to clean off surface oxidation and thereby increase the light output?
Bug-nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: Ressurecting a 1959 Beetle Reply with quote

Rome wrote:
Visor revival looks great.

Have you tried using the plastic polish on your blinker and taillight lenses, to clean off surface oxidation and thereby increase the light output?

I have used plastic polish in the past on my 2003 Celica I used to own; it worked great and I very much recommend it. However I have not used it on my Beetle. The blinker lenses are new from WW and my taillight lenses are glass Very Happy

Snort wrote:
Bug-nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Ressurecting a 1959 Beetle Reply with quote

So today was the day! Pulled the engine out of my ‘59 to do some maintenance and to install the thermostat/venturi ring assembly. While I had it apart I went ahead and removed all the tin, cleaned everything, and checked all the head nut torque. I also cleaned out the carbon and gunk in the heat riser pipe. Inspected inside the intake and exhaust ports for cracks (didn’t see any) and the exhaust valves all look normal and are all the same color. Tomorrow I need to source new transaxle rubber mounts and attempt to replace the choke cable. Hopefully that will go okay and not be too difficult... Confused

I was rather surprised at how clean and relatively oil-free the engine was!

I adjusted the ring per the shop manual’s instructions and then to test it I took a heat gun and fully extended the thermostat and then checked inside the fan, it has about 1/8” between the fan and the venturi ring. When the thermostat is cold the ring is pulled up snug to the fan shroud. Hopefully I got it right...

Snort wrote:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Page 6 of 12

Jump to: