Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Resurrecting a 1959 Beetle
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bug-nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Ressurecting a 1959 Beetle Reply with quote

Well guys it's been awhile since I've posted on here. I'm happy to say Gretchen has been running pretty swell! She's been a lot of fun and has even won two awards so far! Very Happy 2nd place in the German class and the Grody award at my local British and European car show! However about three weeks ago I did have another "learning" experience with her...

All was fine and good but I noticed she seemed to be loosing power and getting harder and harder to start as the days went by. Then it started being that I couldn't apply full throttle without the engine snorting and bucking badly; I was convinced it was a fuel problem like it was leaning out too much at full throttle or something. But as you know I had rebuilt my "rebuilt" carby and had even checked all the jet sizes and they were all the factory numbers so that didnt make much sense either. Finally one day I had parked at a friends house and later when I was going to leave she absolutely would not start. I was stranded! Sad So I popped open the engine lid and went to troubleshooting. Everything seemed in order except for a little oil that gets slung around from my rear pulley (it leaks just a little - keeps the rust away Wink ) I decided to pop the distributor cap off and see if maybe oil had found its way inside and fouled out my points. Wait a second... My points aren't even opening!!! Shocked Shocked Shocked Some how the points had shifted or the cam block had worn enough that they wouldn't open at all. As I didn't have a set of feeler gauges with me a S.W.A.G.ed it and she immediately fired right up! Later when I got home I cleaned and set them properly and also checked my timing and lo and behold the mighty 36 horses were restored and all was great and awesome in VW land again! So I've now added this to my collection of lessons learned and check my points regularly now. Happy V-Dubbing! Cool

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1962 Austin-Healey Sprite

Snort wrote:
A 59 Beetle is just an Oval-Window car with aspirations of modernity.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Ressurecting a 1959 Beetle Reply with quote

That's such a pretty bug!

Make sure you're using a good points cam grease or the points block will wear down very quickly. There's also a lot of chatter about how poor the new points are from Bosch these days. Many folks have reported the points block breaks off from the points.

You may consider looking for some NOS Bosch points and condensers. They will last a long time if they are greased.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bug-nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Ressurecting a 1959 Beetle Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
That's such a pretty bug!

Make sure you're using a good points cam grease or the points block will wear down very quickly. There's also a lot of chatter about how poor the new points are from Bosch these days. Many folks have reported the points block breaks off from the points.

You may consider looking for some NOS Bosch points and condensers. They will last a long time if they are greased.

The cam is greased however i totally agree about the quality of new points. I'll try and locate some NOS ones. Thanks!

Snort wrote:
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 10:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Ressurecting a 1959 Beetle Reply with quote

Just a little trick if you ever find yourself needing to set your point gap off the beaten path and you're short one each set of feeler gauges... use the cover of a match book or similar thickness carboard packaging (cereal box top, what have you), it's actually pretty darn close to spot on. Wink
Bug-nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Ressurecting a 1959 Beetle Reply with quote

Here's a teaser picture of Gretchen's latest "accessory". I'm normally a raging purist Wink but I'm willing to make an exception for these beauties because they are "bolt-on" and they are in the interest of safety.

Thanks to Chip Birks for building and providing these for the VW community!

Snort wrote:
Bug-nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 10:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Ressurecting a 1959 Beetle Reply with quote

Worked on my tail lights today and man what a difference! Cool To say I'm tickled pink is an understatement. I woulda took pictures but unfortunately I couldn't get my camera to get a flattering shot. So here's a few pictures from a car show I went to today. Three beetles were there. My '59, a '63, and a '74? Super

Snort wrote:
1960vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: Ressurecting a 1959 Beetle Reply with quote

What did you do to fix your carb inlet pipe issue?
Bug-nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Ressurecting a 1959 Beetle Reply with quote

1960vw wrote:
What did you do to fix your carb inlet pipe issue?

I ended up finding a correct original 28 pci carburetor and got rid of the empi reproduction carb.

Snort wrote:
Bug-nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Ressurecting a 1959 Beetle Reply with quote

Hi again! Well it's been a while since I've updated this thread, but that's because Gretchen has been running beautifully! However my battery finally bit the dust so I had to get a new one. It was fun trying to find a 6 volt battery locally... I finally found one for $95 at the local Napa store. I also cleaned the points in my regulator and adjusted the voltage. Before I touched it I measured and it was only putting out 6.4 volts, but after cleaning and adjusting it now puts out around 7.3 volts (revved up of course). I noticed my lights at night are now considerably brighter!

My next project is replacing the tie rod ends. Last time I greased the front end I noticed two were a little sloppy (even though the car handles just fine, not loose or wandering at all)

Snort wrote:
Bug-nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Ressurecting a 1959 Beetle Reply with quote

Hi again, I've been so busy with my new job and stuff that I've been neglecting posting updates! Shame shame shame... Confused So let me try and make it up. Since my last post I finally got around to replacing my tie-rod ends, and since my car still had the original one piece left steering rod I had to by a newer three piece unit, which I found from WW. The tie rod ends I bought from them are very high quality and were actually made in Germany, which I'll be honest completely surprised me! I also changed both headlight bucket seals, as the old ones were split and kept trying to fall out. And then yesterday I had to replace both rear axle seals, however I'm very pleased to report that the oil slingers did their job and kept the oil off the brake shoes and drums! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy I also adjusted the brakes, and did a full grease and lube job. I also pulled both transaxle drain plugs and cleaned the metallic "fuzz" off the magnets. Fortunately there wasn't very much to clean off and what little bit there was was very fine and I couldn't see any part numbers or anything like that Razz Now for my next project I'm thinking of trying to clean the surface rust off and taking a buffer and seeing if I can get the heavy oxidation off the paint. But I'm still thinking about it...

3rd or 4th cousins, what do you think? Cool

Snort wrote:
bus guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Ressurecting a 1959 Beetle Reply with quote

Love your car! So meticulous too; it obviously found the right owner.
Bug-nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Ressurecting a 1959 Beetle Reply with quote

bus guy wrote:
Love your car! So meticulous too; it obviously found the right owner.

Thanks Very Happy I try to do right by her, it's so hard to find an original unmolested car in this area. And even more rare to actually see another air-cooled VW on the road here.... Crying or Very sad

Snort wrote:
bus guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 4:20 am    Post subject: Re: Ressurecting a 1959 Beetle Reply with quote

The area I live (England) is like that too; rusty cars and bodged repairs and 'upgrades'.
I just bought this cheaply in Northern Sweden, still waiting for it to arrive. Needs a bit more work than yours, but similar plan; preservation style restoration and buff the original paint.
Bug-nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Ressurecting a 1959 Beetle Reply with quote

That thing looks awesome! And I love how clean and simple the front bumber is - I've never been a fan of the USA spec "towel bar" or "overrider" bumpers, they always kinda looked like an afterthought (in retrospect, I believe they were!) also your fluted headlight lenses are so cool! Cool good luck on it, it looks like it should clean up pretty good. Is it fairly rust free?

Snort wrote:
bus guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 1:45 am    Post subject: Re: Ressurecting a 1959 Beetle Reply with quote

Thanks! It has rust in the floors and channels, but not sure just how bad until it arrives. I have a lot of metal repair experience, so not worried. The body will be coming off and the underneath will be restored.
Bug-nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Ressurecting a 1959 Beetle Reply with quote

Did some more upgrades to Gretchen this weekend. The PO had replaced my ignition switch with a SU profile one with spade connectors and so I tracked down the correct SG screw terminal switch and rebuilt it (thanks Chadd - Ratlookvw!)

I've been kicking myself for neglecting to take pictures of the rebuild, but it was late and I was in a hurry Confused After I got it reassembled and tested I took the drivers door handle and engine T handle off and disassembled them and was able to re-key them to work with my new key. I was surprised at how easy it was, I only had to swap two of the tumblers on each lock and then barely file on one additional one. Now I have the super cool stamped "VW" key Very Happy I admit I'm tickled to death, that key is SOOO cool! Also while I was at it I gave her a bath and cleaned the interior, and I also had to replace the fan belt. Somehow it managed to twist around and destroy itself on the pulley...
Also I cleaned and wiped up around the battery and topped off the water in it. Then I just couldn't resist taking a few glamour shots Cool (bonus points for identifying the make and model of Gretchen's co-star Dancing )

I'm already working on another small project for Gretchen, but I'm gonna keep y'all guessing and in suspense until it's done Twisted Evil

Snort wrote:
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Ressurecting a 1959 Beetle Reply with quote

Bug-nut wrote:

I'm already working on another small project for Gretchen, but I'm gonna keep y'all guessing and in suspense until it's done Twisted Evil

Upgrade the engine to an LS1?
Make a Baja out of it?
Maybe replicate the "Snorkle Stang?"
Damn the suspense is killing me.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Bug-nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Ressurecting a 1959 Beetle Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
Bug-nut wrote:

Upgrade the engine to an LS1?
Make a Baja out of it?
Maybe replicate the "Snorkle Stang?"
Damn the suspense is killing me.

Hahaha no no no no Snorkelstang! There can be only one, all others will be vaporized Twisted Evil In all seriousness, I found a really cool 6v fog light that I'm wanting to try to mount to my front bumper without modifying my car. I believe I have it all figured out now, I just have to put it all together and run the wiring and then see if it adds any functionality. Don't worry, I've not cut, drilled, or damaged Gretchen in any way Very Happy And yes I know, it's kinda heresy to use a USA made part on a VW, but it's a lot better than all those cheap Chinese ones out on the market now (the light was made by CM Hall Lamp Co.)
For some reason it won't allow me to upload a picture right now, sorry guys I'll have one here shortly.

Snort wrote:
Bug-nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Ressurecting a 1959 Beetle Reply with quote

Well first off everyone Merry Christmas from Gretchen and I. She insisted that I show you fellas her Christmas present (she's very pleased Cool ) New roof rack! Yes it's an Empi one and not a vintage one because right now I can't afford the second (I'm still looking though, they are rare and very pricey here where I live...) So anyway, I had to do some work to it to meet Gretchens somewhat high standards Laughing Had to cut and shorten the rearmost legs about an inch so they would all fit properly, before I did that the center ones floated about 1.3" above the drip rails! Confused Papaw volunteered his services and made some new slats out of red oak and I stained and sealed them, SOOOO much better than the cheap pine ones that they try to get away with sending you.

Merry Christmas!

Snort wrote:
Bug-nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Ressurecting a 1959 Beetle Reply with quote

Hello guys and welcome to 2017! Very Happy I have been chasing an intermittent charging issue and have yet to get it completely resolved, here's what's happening. Sometimes at lower rpms (not idle speeds however) my generator light will come on full bright (not kinda dim like it would at low idle), but it will go away after a moment or immediately if I rev the engine. And it only seems to happen at lower rpms, I've never had it happen at highway speeds. Also sometimes I can tell the output voltage is surging, my lights will vary in intensity, not good at all. Last week I pulled the generator and took it to my local trusty rebuild shop (Alternators of Knoxville, super awesome shop by the way and I highly recommend them, the owner used to be into vws and still has a soft spot for them Very Happy ) They replaced the bearings with new sealed ones because I requested it but said everything else in the generator was fine, even the brushes! (The genny is stamped "re manufactured" on the outside of the case, however it is a genuine Bosch one and not a repro). He said it sounds like my regulator is biting the bullet, and unfortunately I have to agree with him. And yes I have checked/cleaned all the grounds and checked all the wires related to the charging system and everything appears to be in order. So the search for a nos regulator begins! Confused

(Crazy me out installing my generator in 28F weather, yes it was freaking cold but true love knows no bounds right? Cool )

Snort wrote:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Page 4 of 12

Jump to: