Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Ever want sell your Vanagon for an American one?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Forthwithtx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Ever want sell your Vanagon for an American one? Reply with quote

Vanhalla wrote:

We built up an Astro over the last year or so. Spent way too much time and money on it and it's still not quite what we wanted. Which was ultimately a VW.

We just bought a Vanagon.

Can you sleep sideways in an Astro?

'84 GL with 2001/2004 Subaru 2.5L
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Ever want sell your Vanagon for an American one? Reply with quote

Are you over 67 1/4" tall?
If so, fetal position may be needed.......

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jennepher Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Ever want sell your Vanagon for an American one? Reply with quote

Once again.

NON-VW photos are deleted from the Gallery.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
If your post begins "I know this is against the rules but..." just stop typing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Ever want sell your Vanagon for an American one? Reply with quote

Nope, the Astro/Safari are a different compromise in interior space.
but each/every platform has it's compromises and plusses.

Forthwithtx wrote:
Vanhalla wrote:

We built up an Astro over the last year or so. Spent way too much time and money on it and it's still not quite what we wanted. Which was ultimately a VW.

We just bought a Vanagon.

Can you sleep sideways in an Astro?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Ever want sell your Vanagon for an American one? Reply with quote

an American Van would be too reliable
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Ever want sell your Vanagon for an American one? Reply with quote

NFW I could sleep sideways in any van...

😀

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Vanhalla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Ever want sell your Vanagon for an American one? Reply with quote

Yep, us and our 2 little dogs sleep sideways. I'm 5'7" and a half. We removed the existing panels and put in our own insulation and wooden panels which gained us a few inches on each end.
The Mrs picked up some half sized pillows and made pillow cases for them, which saves wasted space.
If you were any taller you'd have to sleep lengthways, but it works for us.

https://www.instagram.com/bjornthebus/

Parts wanted/needed - A high top. CLK wheels. A weekender rear cabinet and head banger.
shadetreetim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Ever want sell your Vanagon for an American one? Reply with quote

While making plans on attending Syncro Solstice this year, my friend with a Shocked Ford van declared he wanted to come too with his family. I thought of this thread as I had previously stated on here I would consider a Ford van and now we would have miles of road to compare the two.

The contenders:
'89 Vanagon Bluestar, mildy lifted, 215/75R15 tires, CHC poptop conversion, 1.8t, .77 4th gear.

'03 Ford E350, 7.3 diesel, auto, 4x4 conversion, Westy inspired interior cabinets and z-bed conversion.

Storage: The E350 extended van with aluminess box on the back bumper easily eclipsed my storage. I planned ahead and ony brought what I thought we would need. Mark just brought everything he has collected to camp with. Including a generator we never needed.

Mileage: We drove through a variety of terrain and at different speeds dictated by freeway, 2 lane highway, and dirt trail requirements. Mark's diesel averaged 2 MPG worse than my 1.8t on every tankfull. At 80 MPH, if I got 14, he got 12 MPG. At 45 MPH through the Shafer Trail, I averaged 19 and he got 17. It stayed incredibly consistent.

Drive-ability: The size of the Ford makes it a beast to maneuver. I usually operated as the scout vehicle, searching out parking spaces he could fit in, meanwhile squeezing into the small spaces myself.

Freeway Flyer: Surprising, I had a huge advantage here. First, his van handled poorly at 80 MPH, he preferred to run 70-72 MPH due to this. If I was in the lead, I had to make sure I didn't run away and leave him. Secondly, his EGT's slowed him down on the hills. As we were driving to and through Utah, we had many a hill to climb. As usual, on the steepest hills I could downshift to 3rd, and accelerate to 75 MPH without shifting to 4th. My 1.8t loves third gear, the engine temps actually drop 5-7 degrees from normal when running third gear on a hill. On the steepest of hills, Mark was dropping to 55 MPH. Early in our trip, his EGT'c climbed to 1500 degrees as he tried to catch me. After realizing his limitations, I started climbing hills where he could keep up. It did make for a relaxing drive. Very Happy

Attracting attention: The bright red 4x4 Ford stood out, even in 4x4 rich Moab. Everywhere we went people stared, took pictures, and gave a thumbs up. In stark contrast, my faded, drought tolerant paint job, Vanagon still gathered its normal share of comments.

Fun factor: Lady Shadetree and I had a blast, as usual. For Mark and his family, it was their first big trip camping in a van. They kept forgetting we could pull over anywhere to make lunch. Very Happy But they came away from this trip planning on many others.

So the differences are there, but they aren't that big a deal. I finished our trip loving our Vanagon. Mark finished the trip loving his Ford. We each have another list of modifications to make to enhance the camping experience.

Bottom line is we got out and camped.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Doing my best every time I drive it to dispel the myth these Vanagons have to be slow!

'89 Vanagon Bluestar/Country Homes 1.8T & .77 4th
'74 Jeep CJ5
Forthwithtx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Ever want sell your Vanagon for an American one? Reply with quote

Hard to believe that red beast was within 2mpg of the Vanagon. Looks like a good trip, though!

'84 GL with 2001/2004 Subaru 2.5L
nemobuscaptain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Ever want sell your Vanagon for an American one? Reply with quote

Is that Ford a Sportsmobile? Quigley? Something else?

https://www.facebook.com/groups/FullMoonBusClub

RIP Bob Hoover https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=427791
Hoover Sermons: https://www.vwsage.com/images/vwsage/Bob%20Hoovers%20Sermons.pdf
shadetreetim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Ever want sell your Vanagon for an American one? Reply with quote

I too was shocked at the mileage. He weighs almost double my van.

The Ford is an U-Joint Offroad conversion for the 4wd components. Custom interior by owner. Late model sheet metal cab forward to update the looks.

Doing my best every time I drive it to dispel the myth these Vanagons have to be slow!

'89 Vanagon Bluestar/Country Homes 1.8T & .77 4th
'74 Jeep CJ5
nemobuscaptain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Ever want sell your Vanagon for an American one? Reply with quote

I spent some time behind the wheel of a Quigley setup for offroad. It was pretty squirrelly at high speeds too. Not much fun. It was tall and very heavy. Not much use in the soft stuff despite the 4wd due to the weight.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/FullMoonBusClub

RIP Bob Hoover https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=427791
Hoover Sermons: https://www.vwsage.com/images/vwsage/Bob%20Hoovers%20Sermons.pdf
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Ever want sell your Vanagon for an American one? Reply with quote

Ok this isn't an American van but have any Vanagon folks opted for the
Toyota LE?

I find it ironic that it has a fair amount of coolant hoses. In some ways, it's not too dissimilar to the Vanagon.

Input on the Toyota LE is welcome. Or just flame me for posting about a
Toyo in this discussion. Wink

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Ever want sell your Vanagon for an American one? Reply with quote

I have supplemented the fleet as shown below. It's larger than the Toyota, faster and better handling. It gets way better fuel economy than my Vanagon at 22.5 consistently. It is mid-engine rear wheel drive with the craziest tight turning radius I've ever experienced. Rugged solid axle rear with leaf springs, stout torsion bar front suspension like a medium duty. Carries 1700lbs.

1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 5:54 am    Post subject: Re: Ever want sell your Vanagon for an American one? Reply with quote

Vanagon Nut wrote:

A guy in a Toyota LE was pumping gas across from me off I-70 several years ago, and he told me that Toyota brought a Vanagon into their design facility and disassembled it in order to make a similar design. Dunno if that's true or not.
I've ridden in a couple, and they're nothing like a Vanagon on the inside. Lots of velour and a very crowded feeling. I like the looks though, and think a 4wd one might be a fun toy.

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Red Beard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Ever want sell your Vanagon for an American one? Reply with quote

shadetreetim wrote:

The Ford is an U-Joint Offroad conversion for the 4wd components. Custom interior by owner. Late model sheet metal cab forward to update the looks.

I'm actually more surprised at your gas mileage than his...isn't the 1.8t supposed to be a lot better than stock for MPG?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Red Beard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Ever want sell your Vanagon for an American one? Reply with quote

Vanagon Nut wrote:
Ok this isn't an American van but have any Vanagon folks opted for the
Toyota LE?

I find it ironic that it has a fair amount of coolant hoses. In some ways, it's not too dissimilar to the Vanagon.

Neil.

[pic]

My brother has one of those, he is looking to get an AWD express van instead to build out as a camper. Drawbacks of the Toyota are very low ceiling height, cramped interior, too short in height and length to have a comfortable bed without losing a lot of storage and floor space. No pass through from the front to the rear due to a large hump over the mid-engine. Doesn't feel more modern that the vanagon in any way in terms of driveability. Really hard to find one that isn't beat/rusty.
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Ever want sell your Vanagon for an American one? Reply with quote

Vanagon Nut wrote:
Input on the Toyota LE is welcome. Or just flame me for posting about a Toyo in this discussion. Wink

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=430526

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=541814

2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Ever want sell your Vanagon for an American one? Reply with quote

a 1.8T responds quickly to your foot/driving habits.
I get 23~25mpg highway in my 1.8T (150hp AEB) but can of course drop from there.
best my astro AWED gets is 18mpg easy on the highway.
Red Beard wrote:
shadetreetim wrote:

I'm actually more surprised at your gas mileage than his...isn't the 1.8t supposed to be a lot better than stock for MPG?

MURRAYMW1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Ever want sell your Vanagon for an American one? Reply with quote

We purchased a used Roadtrek this spring. Just finished its first big trip from Or to Sequioa/Kings Canyon. Pretty sweet. Love the comfort and amenities. Would have died driving the Westy through the Central Valley with no A/C. 105 degrees, topped out at 109!
Westy went up for sale and then I pulled the ads. My pining and whining turned into "alright, you can keep the Westy but those offroad type trips will be without me."
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Page 9 of 11

Jump to: