Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Syncro driveshaft alignment tool
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 5:42 pm    Post subject: Syncro driveshaft alignment tool Reply with quote

There are a lot of threads on syncro vibrations but none specifically on the alignment tool. I did find a couple versions made by some of the veteran syncro guys but they involved machining or expensive laser levels (which I couldn't find at HomeDepot or Lowes anyway).

In my search I came across the GoWesty rental one and saw posts by several other poeple just sayinbg they made their own. But I could not visualize how to make one. I spend quite a while reading through all the threads trying to see specifically what people were using to make one. Eventually I found stuff outside of samba on how to make a very simple and inexpensive one. Maybe this will help someone else. I really don't like the idea of just loosening bolts and hoping it will align itself.

Here is gowesty's very nice tool.

Link

Here is a simpler DIY version.

Link

Here is another even simpler and nicer one. http://forums.hybridz.org/topic/43993-differential-laser-alignment-tool/

I copied the simplest one. I bought a small laser light pen from Petsmart for a few bucks, one of the big magnets from Harbor freight which cost $5 and found a 1/2" socket that the pen light just fits into tightly. The socket is bolted onto the magnet and the pen is jammed into the socket. It doesn't matter that isn't isn't exact because you can rotate the driveshaft and move the pen light around a little bit until the beam of light stays in one place.

This isn't as nice obviously as some of the ones others have made but I could not find a laser level that would point the beam out horizontally. Hopefully this is all I will need. Mine was absolutely smooth before the engine conversion, so I believe it will just be a side to side adjustment on the transaxle.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

And here are several of the posts discussing alignment: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/search.php?search..._chars=200
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro driveshaft alignment tool Reply with quote

You can also use a 10cent piece of string and a household tape measure.

Having units that bolt to the flanges will give the most accuracy IMO.
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro driveshaft alignment tool Reply with quote

I don't see how you can really align it accurately with a piece of string. I think a laser is the only accurate way to do this. I don't see a problem yet with a cheap laser. So long as you can zero it out by rotating the output shaft so the beam stays in one spot, that tells you it is true. If it traces out a circle then the laser needs to be adjusted until it is just a point or very small circle at least. Then adjust the diff and trans so the spot moves to where you want it. A quality laser level that you don't have to zero would be nice, like GoWesty's unit, but I'm hoping this will work just as well. I'll give it a try when it warms up.

Last edited by davevickery on Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:42 am; edited 1 time in total
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro driveshaft alignment tool Reply with quote

Yah, this thing is awesome. It was very easy to zero out so no need for expensive equipment that I can see. Takes all the guesswork out of it. Here is a quick look at my results. I'm pretty close in back and off about 2 inches in the front.

I'll hang a ruler when I make the adjustments but you can see how close it is and this still produces a vibration. I don't think I would find that without a laser. It is only going to take a very small adjustment to move that beam of light over 2 inches.

Front diff ponted at transaxle.

Transaxle pointed at front diff.

?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro driveshaft alignment tool Reply with quote

Interesting process. I have no intention of ever owning a syncro or performing a driveshaft alignment on one so to me it is all academic. One issue I see is that it is virtually guaranteed that the laser is not exactly perpendicular to the plane of the base of the magnet. Any misalignment in that regard could mask the potential of the flange itself not being perfectly perpendicular to the axis of its rotation. I believe the solution would be to dial in the laser so the dot does not move, mark the base to flange rotational orientation, rotate the base 180 degrees, dial the dot back in. The two dot locations should be in the same place. If not, then the flange itself is not perpendicular to its axis of rotation.
seans67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro driveshaft alignment tool Reply with quote

I have been pondering this very same thing as I near the completion of my swap. Thanks for posting.

'71 Squareback '71 Porsche 914 ‘80 Camper '87 Syncro Weekender 1.8T '87 Wolfsburg Weekender '97 Toyota Land Cruiser ‘03 Audi A6 Quattro 3.0 ‘04 Audi A4 Avant Quattro 1.8T ‘05 Audi A4 Quattro 3.0
‘06 Porsche Cayenne Turbo S
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro driveshaft alignment tool Reply with quote

Andrew is correct.
Having the tools connect to the flanges, using standardized positions gives the best accuracy.

In all honesty, once you are familiar with the process and the tools, than a tape measure is really all that is needed once you have your reference marks on the chassis.
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro driveshaft alignment tool Reply with quote

Andrew A. Libby wrote:
Interesting process. I have no intention of ever owning a syncro or performing a driveshaft alignment on one so to me it is all academic. One issue I see is that it is virtually guaranteed that the laser is not exactly perpendicular to the plane of the base of the magnet. Any misalignment in that regard could mask the potential of the flange itself not being perfectly perpendicular to the axis of its rotation. I believe the solution would be to dial in the laser so the dot does not move, mark the base to flange rotational orientation, rotate the base 180 degrees, dial the dot back in. The two dot locations should be in the same place. If not, then the flange itself is not perpendicular to its axis of rotation.

Hi Andrew,
Either I don't understand the point you are trying to make, or you don't understand the process of aligning the laser tool.
Did you watch the GW video? With the laser mounted in the holder, the flange is rotated, the laser will describe a circle onto the plate hanging from the opposite flange. As the flange is rotated you can slowly dial in the laser until it only describes a dot. That is absolutely the center of the transmission (or front diff) and the dot can be recorded on the plate hanging from the other flange. The transmission can then be juggled until the dot rests on the centerline of the plate. The process is then repeated from the other direction.
It takes a couple times until both the front diff and transmission are aligned to each other along the centerline in relation to each other. The two units however will point slightly towards the ground on the vertical and should point downwards the same amount.

I would very much like someone to explain exactly how using only a tape measure will achieve the same results. It is the relationship between the two (trans and diff) that matters not the chassis.

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.

Last edited by MsTaboo on Wed Dec 23, 2015 1:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
ragnarhairybreeks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro driveshaft alignment tool Reply with quote

I'm with Dave on this. I made a gizmo similar to his a few years ago. Difference was I turned a base on the lathe and stuck on a couple of magnets to hold base to flange. The base was turned to register on the flange.

I wasn't really happy with how the laser pointer was held in the base, I didn't like the adjustment method. So I made another model with a bracket attached to the base and this bracket held the pointer. The bracket had set screws to adjust the pointer.

In both cases I aligned the laser while the assembly was held on the lathe. I could swing the chuck and adjust the laser dot to make the smallest circle at the distance I would be measuring on the van. On the second model I had enough adjustability to reduce the angle of the cone that the light beam describes as the assembly is turned.

Alistair
Old address still works...
http://shufti.wordpress.com
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro driveshaft alignment tool Reply with quote

MsTaboo wrote:
That is absolutely the center of the transmission (or front diff) and the dot can be recorded on the plate hanging from the other flange.

You are correct. I was not thinking of it correctly. The flange and laser holder could both be out of true (and cause vibration) and that out-of-true condition would not affect the reading of the tool.
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro driveshaft alignment tool Reply with quote

Some feel you need a fancy laser machine to align suspension parts.
It has been shown here in a thread how to do it with basic tools...string, tape measure and a marking device like a pen or chalk.

Same principle applies.

Align a few Syncro drivelines with success, make a few measurements, note the commonalities and cut right to the chase the next time.

I have double checked my work with the GW tool as I own it.
My non tool and tape measurements are extremely close to what the tools will help you baseline.

I have my own alignment procedures, it has been covered in other threads.
I also now have made measurements with the original bushings, Powerflex Bushings and Burley's bushings.
I have also made and noted the differences in flange angles found with VW cradles, Small Car's systems, RMW's system and a few others.

I invite others to first know and note what parts they have, align and than measure from points noted in the VW literature as standard measuring points...than post them if you wish.
Quite a few variables here at play, so please know exactly what generation parts you have, condition and 2wd 🆚 Syncro....it makes a huge difference.
61Scout
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro driveshaft alignment tool Reply with quote

Who cares how it gets done if the job is done right at the end of the day? It's a poor craftsman that blames his tools.

Good stuff, Dave.

-Kevin
Remove the front spindle nut with ease: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=679567&highlight=
Remove the rear wheel bearing housing without messing with the big 46mm nut: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=679507&highlight=

-Nec Spe, Nec Metu
Bassyaks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro driveshaft alignment tool Reply with quote

You guys are looking at 1 angle, there are 360 degrees to look at.
You have side angles as well as head on angles.
Much of this was addressed in Drive shaft angles and the front diff.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year
Steve
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro driveshaft alignment tool Reply with quote

Bassyaks wrote:
You guys are looking at 1 angle, there are 360 degrees to look at.
You have side angles as well as head on angles.
Much of this was addressed in Drive shaft angles and the front diff.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year
Steve

I'm not sure I understand your point Steve. The laser is centered on the output shaft is adjusted in the socket until it is absolutely true and perpendicular to the output shaft. When the output shaft is rotated and the beam of light remains in a tight circle/dot, it is true for 360 degrees of rotation. If anything is off, the beam will trace a circle.

Even if the diff or trans is off center of the van, the 2 output shafts are perfectly aligned to each other with whatever down angle you want to set. For most people and even most conversions, the stock engine cross bar keeps the back end of the engine/trans centered so getting way off center isn't possible. So alignment of the output shafts relative to each other is the important thing. This simple $10 laser tool lets you set the alignment and down angle relative to each other in just a few minutes.

My point in replying is so people don't get confused thinking there is something wrong using a tool like this.

Last edited by davevickery on Sun Dec 27, 2015 5:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Escorial Syncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro driveshaft alignment tool Reply with quote

Hey Dave,
You did some good thinking on this. You've condensed other people's ideas into a pretty affordable, efficient setup. I hope the first test drive proves successful.
1974 Honda CL360 Scrambler (for sale!)
Bassyaks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro driveshaft alignment tool Reply with quote

Dave the dot could show up on center even though it is at an angle

point your laser on this smiley Shocked now move the laser 45 degrees but keep the dot on the smiley , your dot is centered but you have an angle.

The only way that is going to work is if you have 2 lasers intersecting each other.
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro driveshaft alignment tool Reply with quote

Bassyaks wrote:
Dave the dot could show up on center even though it is at an angle

point your laser on this smiley Shocked now move the laser 45 degrees but keep the dot on the smiley , your dot is centered but you have an angle.

The only way that is going to work is if you have 2 lasers intersecting each other.

You are misunderstanding the pivot points. Think about it some more.

Dave, nice job of working up a cheap version of the GW tool. Why anyone would use any other method to align the prop-shaft when the GW style laser alignment tool is available is beyond me. It's so simple.

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
Bassyaks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro driveshaft alignment tool Reply with quote

He has no pivot points, he's coming off the solid flanges
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro driveshaft alignment tool Reply with quote

The magnet base is mounted on a flange that is on the end of a shaft that rotates. If the laser is not perpendicular to its base, it will describe a cone. The cone's center will be colinear with the centerline of the rotation of the flange the laser is stuck to. When the laser is moved on the flange until it only shows a dot, the dot is the apex of the cone. That apex is exactly colinear with the axis of rotation of the flange the laser is stuck to.
ragnarhairybreeks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro driveshaft alignment tool Reply with quote

Andrew described it well. The fact is that it is very unlikely you will be able to mount the pointer to the base exactly perp and centred. Even if you could it would be prone to bumping out of alignment.

Rotating the base will produce a dot describing a circular path on the reference plate attached to the other flange as described before. The diameter of that circle will be small if the laser pointer is perfectly centred and perp in the base, or if the apex of the described cone is lands on the distance between the pointer and the opposite flange.

And of course if you can measure the distance between the dot or the centre of the described circle and the flange centre , and you know the distance between the pointer and the opposite flange, you can calculate the flange angle.

Alistair
Old address still works...
http://shufti.wordpress.com
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: