Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Nice deals on Eurovans
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
jjvincent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Nice deals on Eurovans Reply with quote

Here's another rare EV that got sold:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/331904437444
Xtremjeepn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: Nice deals on Eurovans Reply with quote

jjvincent wrote:

Unfortunately that van reeks of fraud.

Its listed as being a "91" so that its old enough to import. But the engine, and whole front end, and airbag steering wheel tell another story.

I hope its just an elaborate rebuild and someone isn't getting screwed.
jjvincent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Nice deals on Eurovans Reply with quote

Someone cut the VIN off of a 91 and welded it in. Over 25 years old and it's legal. Easy to do with a vehicle that was never sold here because everyone has to take your word that it's legit. That's how people got plenty of 2CV's in to the US. Every one of them all were a "1969" model year.
Itsamoto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Nice deals on Eurovans Reply with quote

Xtremjeepn wrote:
jjvincent wrote:

Its listed as being a "91" so that its old enough to import. But the engine, and whole front end, and airbag steering wheel tell another story.

I thought it said in the description that the front was upgraded (long-nose conversion)?
Xtremjeepn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Nice deals on Eurovans Reply with quote

Itsamoto wrote:
Xtremjeepn wrote:
jjvincent wrote:

I thought it said in the description that the front was upgraded (long-nose conversion)?

It did.

But, it also has a long nose rear bumper, an airbag, and a drivetrain not available in 1991.

I wish there was a picture of the sliding door entry step. Then you could tell if the chassis was actually an old or new chassis. (older step is full length, later step is short).

Just seems like an awfully complete set of parts to take off a late model van to put on an older chassis.

You would imagine that a late model donor would have been a wrecked or non-running van. if wrecked, then both the front and rear ends wouldn't have been available to swap.

While its also not impossible to swap the front fenders, the easy vans have the fenders welded on. So its not a quick and simple undertaking for a swap.

Of course, its all possible. especially since the van was clearly repainted.

It just has enough questions that mean it should be looked at VERY hard to make sure you don't end up like all the people that had their Land Rovers confiscated by the govt.
jjvincent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Nice deals on Eurovans Reply with quote

Here you go:

https://www.westsidevw.com/used/Volkswagen/1991-Vo...4a75e6.htm
Xtremjeepn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Nice deals on Eurovans Reply with quote

So it's a late model chassis, not a 1991 as I suspected.

The slider door step is much longer on the early vans. This door step is consistent with the 1997+ vans(like the rest of the bumpers, fenders, engine, gauges, airbag.

I'd suspect VIN tampering or fraudulent paperwork.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here is what an early door step looks like. This is a 1993.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by Xtremjeepn on Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Xtremjeepn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Nice deals on Eurovans Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes
jjvincent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Nice deals on Eurovans Reply with quote

I figured someone cut the cowl out of a 91 and then put it in a later model one. Not the first time it has been done and not the last. The VIN on the dash is worthless as anyone can change that. As for the cowl, not hard at all for a bodyshop.
Xtremjeepn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Nice deals on Eurovans Reply with quote

So, I'm guess the "sale" on eBay is a fraud too. Rolling Eyes
Itsamoto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Nice deals on Eurovans Reply with quote

Xtremjeepn wrote:
So, I'm guess the "sale" on eBay is a fraud too. Rolling Eyes

The whole idea here is that some funny tricks have been done to the vin to make this appear to be a 91 (thus making it easier to import to the USA as a 25-year old car)?

There is some irony here in that it's being sold at a VW dealership - those funny tricksters. Laughing

You guys who are in the auto-sales-business - what do you do in situations likes this? Do you take notes, turn a blind eye or report it?
jjvincent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Nice deals on Eurovans Reply with quote

Dealers turn a blind eye. They don't care. My dad worked for VW/Porsche/Audi dealer back in the 70's and it was no big deal when a drug dealer came in and paid cash for a pair of brand new 911's.

Growing up in the car repair business, I have checked out plenty of questionable cars from very reputable dealers. We did catch 5 or 6 cars that had the VIN cut out and replaced with another. At that point, we just informed the local police and then the highway patrol got involved (that was their job in the state of Missouri). Each one took a while to track down when it happened but the dealer just ended up losing their money that they took in on the car (100% of the time it's a trade-in) but the person who had it before them was usually the culprit. This was back when people did it because the car was stolen. As of today, people just part the car out or it gets sent to the Middle East, Russia or South America.

That EV just has fraud written all over it. Since it was sold, most likely, it'll show up again on the market in about 5 years from now.
Joshwa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Nice deals on Eurovans Reply with quote

I would just part it and onto a known good vin and junk the bad vin. A lot of work, but would be less sketchy. Definitely has a lot of goodies.
Late model cabin air filter on 93
Euro spec bumper install on 93
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Xtremjeepn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: Nice deals on Eurovans Reply with quote

This green van reminded me of this one:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=622614&start=0

Guy bought it with an Alaska title but when he tried to register it locally they confiscated his title.
Itsamoto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: Nice deals on Eurovans Reply with quote

This van and content deserves its own thread -- its not such a "nice" deal.
jjvincent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 4:02 am    Post subject: Re: Nice deals on Eurovans Reply with quote

Looks like it's still sitting around. Look in the back of the pic:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=661955
takeiteasy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: Nice deals on Eurovans Reply with quote

2001 Eurovan Camper, pacific northwest edition seen in southhampton, NY. 93k orig miles. looked super clean...sign was asking 33k.
mojobus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Nice deals on Eurovans Reply with quote

Some nice folding camper seats for 100 - Boulder , CO

http://denver.craigslist.org/pts/5792270806.html
Itsamoto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Nice deals on Eurovans Reply with quote

There is something special about those matching eurovan converted trailers -- and here is another example local to me:

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-other/calgary/vw-eurov...nFlag=true

"Special Edition" Laughing

I believe this was originally posted for $3500 CAD for the combo - but that has been changed to OBO.
gakali
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Nice deals on Eurovans Reply with quote

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars/barrie/1992-vw...nFlag=true

Looks to be a nice van. Located in Ontario, Canada. USD going a long way here lately. Might be a good off-season purchase.

Date Listed
22-Sep-16
Price
$14,000.00
Address
Elmvale, ON L0L1P0

View map

Make
Volkswagen
Model
EuroVan
For Sale By
Owner
Trim
Westfalia
Body Type
Minivan, Van
Transmission
Automatic
Year
Colour
Teal
Kilometers
Drivetrain
Front-wheel drive (FWD)
Fuel Type
Gasoline
No. of Doors
No. of Seats

We purchased this Westafalia from a person who had lived in British Columbia and moved to Ontario. Therefore, of course, the body and chassis is rust free. I would think this Eurovan Westy is one of the best original vans in Ontario.

The vehicle has a 2.5 litre five cylinder Audi motor with 328,000 kilometres, automatic transmission, power steering, power brakes, power windows, electronic door locks. This Eurovan Westfalia is different than older Westfalia versions as it can be driven 110-115 kilometres per hour all day long.

The following has been repaired in the last 40,000 kilometres since we purchased the Westfalia:

1. The thermostat was sticking when we purchased Westy and it was not warming up to temperature. Replaced thermostat, spark plugs and plug wires.
2. Replaced fan belt and tensioner.
3. Replaced distributor cap and rotor
4. Fuel and temperature gauges were not working properly, therefore dash was taken apart and soldered cracked electrical joints
5. Replaced torque converter and ring gear, and starter
6. Replaced passenger side radiator fan
7. Replaced front rotors and brake pads, muffler, rear wheel cylinder
8. Replaced auxiliary battery
9. Replaced water pump (it had as low leak)

This van came from British Columbia and is rust free – both the body and chassis. The interior is in very good shape. The exterior colour is Caribbean green and the interior is grey. The pop top canvas is in good condition. The Shady Boy awning over the side door is in good condition.

The fridge is not working and I have been told it will cost @ $600 to repair the compressor or about the same to buy a newer style fridge. The previous owned left water in the water tank/line and a line burst. I imagine that is a minor fix involving the purchase of some hose and hooking everything back up again as the water tank is presently out of the van. The previous owner said the stove worked when he purchased the Westy but he never used the stove as he did not want to stink up the interior. I have never tried the stove. The last inspection sticker for the tank from BC was in 2002 so I am not sure what is involved in that process. There was, what looks like, a parking lot scrape on the front bumper on the passenger side corner (see picture) when we purchased the vehicle.

We are selling this van certified. The price is $14,000. Check around, as I doubt you will find a better van for this price. Call Ron at 705-322-1214.

1999 Eurovan
2003 A4 Avant 1.8T Quattro
1992 W201 190e 2.3 Mercedes
2006 W220 S600 V12 Twin Turbo 5.5 Mercedes
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9

Jump to: