Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Tire Chains (Review): Peerless Auto-Trac self-tightening
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 4:07 pm    Post subject: Tire Chains (Review): Peerless Auto-Trac self-tightening Reply with quote

Tire Chains – (Review) – Peerless Auto-Trac – self-tightening/no bungees

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Manufacturer site –
http://www.peerlesschain.com/brands/traction/traction-product-choices/auto-trac/
Instructions –
http://www.peerlesschain.com/wp-content/uploads/AUTO_TRAC_Install_Instructions.pdf

$59 Walmart (TAOS or order to your local one) –
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Peerless-Auto-Trac-Passe...ethod=p13n

Pros –
1 – (BIGGEST benefit IMHO) - May be installed when already stuck - does not have to be ridden onto to install. Because of the install method where the chains are latched at two places on the outside of the tire, you install and drive. Other chains in my experience you have to lay out flat and drive onto them – or – raise the wheel to spin it to get the chains installed.

2 – Auto-Tightening – no need for bungees or manually retighten. There is an auto-ratchet on the outside connecting cables that snugs everything up.

3 – Center connecting chain in the footprint – prevents them from flapping as much and provides more consistent traction

4 – (Relatively) tangle free – because of the cable side, the chains lay out fairly well like a curtain if you hold the two ends of the cable. Sometimes the ratchet loops into one of the chain loops. Easy to see and rectify. MUCH much easier to use and tangles are almost non-existent compared to standard chains.

5 – Better traction on ice (IMHO) – these use links made of square material rather than the usual round links found on most chains. IMHO, this provides better traction on ice as the edges are more likely to bite in whereas the round link may slide easier.

6 – (Nice touch) The package comes with a plastic instruction sheet which is to be used as a kneeling surface. Being plastic it is slick and slippery but it is better than nothing. Alternately one can use their floor mat which may have more traction but then you have a wet floor mat.

Hint (that is not super clear in the instructions) – there is a RED and GREEN outside latch – the GREEN outside latch is where the rear cable latches. Helpful during removal because you want the rear latch on the upper part of the tire so you have room and slack to dis-engage the rear latch.
Hint 2 (instruction correction) – when laying them flat, put the ratchet assembly face down. Instructions show laying them out with the ratchet assembly facing up which will result in the ratchet lever to be against the tire. You want the lever on the outside.

Cons –
1 – Ratchet auto-tightener is plastic (at least on the outside) – not an issue yet, just makes me wonder

2 – Outside connectors are plastic – also not an issue yet, just makes me wonder

3 – Model 155010 identified for my 215-75-15 BFG AT is at almost the max cable length to connect the outside latches. When stuck in a hole, some digging may be required to secure the lower latch. I will call the company to see if the next bigger size would also work to allow a bit more range on the latch side.

My tires – BFG AT 215-75-15

I got a set of these to play with my 2WD westy in the snow and get to some winter camping sites. They were first used on the upper road to TAOS Ski Valley to get to the Bavarian from the parking lot. This is a 4wd only road that is snow/ice covered and quite steep. Without chains I took a run at it and got half way up. Backed down to a flat spot (glad I didn’t have to stop on the incline), installed chains and started driving slowly up without issues. Crawled right up. On the way down, braking worked just fine.

Later that day, I was on a dirt forest road that had up to 12” of snow. Without the chains, I did OK staying in the ruts but is was very squirrelly and I had some concern that I would slide into the side ditch. Installed the chains and trotted along well in confidence.

I have a fair amount of experience with cables, chains, and studded tires form living in the PNW. For ease of install and use, these are very nice and friendly. I’ll be keeping them and would buy them again.

These got us places we couldn’t have gone and ended up an AWESOME us-only winter camping spot on the rim of the 600 ft Rio Grande Gorge. BIG THANKS!! to Tobias Duncan on the Samba here for that camping site lead.

www.SuperVanagon.com - some stuff I make
flomulgator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Tire Chains – (Review) – Peerless Auto-Trac – self-tight Reply with quote

Awesome! Even though I have a syncro sometimes there is no substitute for tire chains....and they are a legal requirement to carry for Mt. Rainier in the winter as well. So I picked up some peerless chains two years ago, right when these came out. The concept seemed neat but they were brand new at the time so I went with the tranditional bungee. Thanks for taking the plunge and then reporting back, glad they work as well for you in practice as in concept!
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Tire Chains – (Review) – Peerless Auto-Trac – self-tight Reply with quote

Called the factory today and found out the following -

Model update -

Peerless direct website (available through NAPA or AMAZON and seems like Ebay) have one set of numbers

Walmart number is the Peerless number + 5

Example

In my chain which is 155010 at Walmart and the Peerless number is 155005

Size update -

The next size up from the Peerless number 155005 (Walmart 155010) is Peerless number 155305.

Unfortunately that size is not available at Walmart which would be a Walmart number 155310.

I may still try that size from Napa or elsewhere to see if it allows for even easier install. Staying with the size I have will be just fine.

hans j
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Tire Chains – (Review) – Peerless Auto-Trac – self-tight Reply with quote

Thanks for the review! I've been meaning to get two sets for my syncro, not for snow but in case of mud when I am out in the middle of nowhere and have to get out!

Good price on these too. I might carry backup bungees because I don't know how long that auto ratchet will last, but I do like the idea. I have the same tire size too.
j_dirge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Tire Chains – (Review) – Peerless Auto-Trac – self-tight Reply with quote

Interesting concept.

My only worry would be hitting ice when the wheel is at that spot where there is no chain.. Its a pretty big naked area, there..

Might be worth the trade-off for ease of installation, though.

-57 pan f/g buggy with a 67 pancake Type 3 "S"
"Jimi Hendrix owned one. Richard Nixon did not"
-Grand Tour, Season 1, episodes 4 and 5

danfromsyr wrote:
those are straight line runs with light weight race cars for only 1/4mile at a time..
not pushing a loaded brick up a mountain pass with a family of 4+ inside expecting to have an event free vacation..
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Tire Chains – (Review) – Peerless Auto-Trac – self-tight Reply with quote

j_dirge wrote:
Its a pretty big naked area, there

In this instance of my install it does look bigger. I now see how that pattern is different than the others.

What it looks like is the chain got stuck in the tire edge thread so it couldn't move over on its own to balance out. (That section is at the bottom when installed) Probably less likely to occur on a less aggressive tire than these ATs.

Easy to fix once that section rotates up to the top of the tire since you just loosen up the ratchet and reattach it.

Could have also attributed to the harder/tighter install in this one instance.

WestyBob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: Tire Chains – (Review) – Peerless Auto-Trac – self-tight Reply with quote

I don't think that 'gap' would be problematic even if left as-is. The tires rotate quickly even at slow speeds bringing the chain into play. You might get a 'bump-bump' feel though when rolling.

As already mentioned, I'd have some concern on soft dry dirt or mud if the tire sunk down and the plastic connectors or rachet system got sheared off on the side.
Vnyd Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Tire Chains (Review): Peerless Auto-Trac self-tightening Reply with quote

Just picked up a set from
Wally World for $44. Same day pickup paid online. But mine are number 1545 for 205/70-15. Great price. Thanks for the review.
Tobias Duncan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: Tire Chains (Review): Peerless Auto-Trac self-tightening Reply with quote

Andrew convinced me to get these as well and they are the best I have ever used. The case tucks under the bench seat nicely as well. Easy install and tons of traction
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Tire Chains (Review): Peerless Auto-Trac self-tightening Reply with quote

Thanks for bringing this thread up - we changed wheels and tires earlier this year and I've just checked the Auto-Trac chains we had for the OEM wheels and tires. Oops - we need to get a larger size!
Tobias Duncan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Tire Chains (Review): Peerless Auto-Trac self-tightening Reply with quote

fxr wrote:
Thanks for bringing this thread up - we changed wheels and tires earlier this year and I've just checked the Auto-Trac chains we had for the OEM wheels and tires. Oops - we need to get a larger size!

Did you actually try putting them on?
I have found that they work on larger tires than they are rated for. Dont just go by the numbers on the box.
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Tire Chains (Review): Peerless Auto-Trac self-tightening Reply with quote

Tobias Duncan wrote:
fxr wrote:

Did you actually try putting them on?
I have found that they work on larger tires than they are rated for. Dont just go by the numbers on the box.

Yes, we tried putting them on, as we'd read that sometimes their sizing wasn't spot-on. No way, José.
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Tire Chains (Review): Peerless Auto-Trac self-tightening Reply with quote

I just ordered a set of these in that same size, 0155005 which supposed to fit tires 215/65-16, 215/70-16 and 215/75-15. And only $37.50 shipped on ebay. https://www.ebay.com/itm/263416145686

It is a handy feature that you can install them after you are stuck. Who puts chains on before they are stuck anyway. Last week I got stuck trying to reach a frozen lake on a National Forest Road at 8500 feet (with the sun going down). I had regular chains but I couldn't figure out how to get them on with the van already stuck in slippery ruts. I made one feeble attempt to lay them over the tire and give it a little gas to rotate the wheel but nothing doing. The chains just came flying off. Maybe I would have gotten them on eventually but I decided right then and there to buy some like these for easier install. Having 2 sets of chains will be good anyway.

I was kind of surprised I got stuck in the first place. This was my first trip with my new Geolander AT tires and I am not sure yet if the tires let me down or if the conditions were just right to make it really slippery. I was able to get out using some sand mats and airing down.
Aryana
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: Tire Chains (Review): Peerless Auto-Trac self-tightening Reply with quote

Bought a set of 0154505 chains for my CLK wheels with 215/55-R16 tires.

They fit great and are so easy to put on. There should be some snow on the road up in the Sierras for my drive back home this weekend. I’ll report back after driving on them.

vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Tire Chains (Review): Peerless Auto-Trac self-tightening Reply with quote

davevickery wrote:
It is a handy feature that you can install them after you are stuck. Who puts chains on before they are stuck anyway.

....or snowed in.

Got to finally use these this season when yesterday 8" of heavy fell on 2" on slush and had to put these on to get going. I was like 50 yards from the (mostly) lowed road. Cleared out a little spot to work in with the avalanche shovel and was going in 10 min. The no need to move to install feature certainly came in handy. Would have been a ton of shoveling otherwise.

DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Tire Chains (Review): Peerless Auto-Trac self-tightening Reply with quote

anyone have an Auto Trac part number that works with the stock 14" tire size? Peerless' part finder does not return an application in the Auto Trac chain line for 185R14 nor 195R14.

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Tire Chains (Review): Peerless Auto-Trac self-tightening Reply with quote

...and how about 27x8.5R14LT...???

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Tire Chains (Review): Peerless Auto-Trac self-tightening Reply with quote

I bought these chains (same size as the OP's) a few years ago to to fit on Nokian tires (WRC3 215/65 R16) and never had a chance to use them.

I've since changed tires to the BFG KO2 215/75 R15 (same tire as the OP's) and added a Peloquin to my 2WD transmission. Yesterday I had a chance to give both a good test. Notes and photos below.

Similar to the OP, I was driving on a gravel road with 8 - 12" of snow and two ruts w/out chains The Peloquin works great but I had no confidence I could turn around w/out getting stuck.

I pulled into a parking lot and installed the chains. Also similar to the OP, I found they were a very tight fit on the 215/75 R15 KO2 tires and had to use the jack to provide clearance so I could attach the red hooks. Chains as installed, they're not quite centered, particularly the section just to the left of the green hook...

After driving about 30 miles in the snow the tires rotated about 1/8 turn inside the chains (seen by comparing the markings on the tire with the cable section on the chains). The chains also appeared to center themselves (seen by the link to the left of the green hook being centered compared to the first photo).

Heading east up USFS road 302 out of ID and into WA...

Experimenting on roads that have seen less traffic. Traction was consistently very solid.

The ID/WA state line heading home...

Overall, I'm satisfied that the KO2/Peloquin/AutoTrac chain setup provides reasonable traction in the snow. Probably enough traction to get myself stuck too far down a snowy road.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Tire Chains (Review): Peerless Auto-Trac self-tightening Reply with quote

While the correct size chain can be fitted on a 215/75 R15 KO2 when it's sitting on pavement, on gravel it's difficult to connect the lower portion of the chain. In this photo, the two red pieces at the bottom of the tire need to be connected and that just wasn't happening...

So I cut two pieces of 2x4, and drove the van on top of them...

Which creates enough clearance under the tire to easily connect the chain. If I we're to buy these chains again for these tires I'd buy the next larger size.

Given that I had chains on again I took the van out for a drive and tried getting up a hill that I'd never try w/out chains. Success...

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: Tire Chains (Review): Peerless Auto-Trac self-tightening Reply with quote

I think I'm set on getting a pair. Anyone with CLK320 98-00 rims running these?

I have 215/65 r16. Anyone run the 'larger size up' with success?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: