Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Who's Running there K & N Filters Dry?
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
RailBoy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 10:11 am    Post subject: Who's Running there K & N Filters Dry? Reply with quote

Hello All, yea looking to find out about the wear and tear factor on K & N Air Filters if you run them dry when in a VW and you deal with Humid Climates?

Point, I am not into oiling them down, why the oil can seep down them onto the carbs if there is to much, plus in Summer when it is hot and gets all grimey on the base of the filters on the carbs.

Thing is I may be able to see doing a light dusting with WD-40 or some nice spray on them lightly, but that is about it.

So, thing is I am running Paper Element Filters now since they came with my Dells, but need to get rid of them to deal with Rain/Humidity for I am on the East Coast. I have read in the forums that the paper will actrually get holes in them do to Humidity/Water if driven in the Rain for the water vapor is being sucked in.

So, my point, will the K & N's dry rot out or fall apart like a Paper Element Filter and why I ask is that I don't know the material that the K & N's are made of? Are they a Water Shedding Synthetic Material is the question Really??

So yea, after looking into prices of Filters, the K & N's are cheap in comparison to R2C's, thing is if I had the cash to do the R2C's I do them, but if the K & N's can do the same job with out oiling as K & N advices, are the K & N's applicatable?

See, the thing is I ran a K & N Filter in my Jeep none oiled, no issue there, and point, on the street there is not all that crazy dust like being off-road like dirt bikes.

So, what is ya'lls take on running them, and how many oil or don't and the results???? RB
Boolean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: Who's Running there K & N Filters Dry? Reply with quote

K&N suck as a substitute for a filter, and suck even more without oil.
Use those paper elements instead. There are probably various different paper filters available if you want to have good quality.
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: Who's Running there K & N Filters Dry? Reply with quote

Without oil you might as well run no filters. They need the oil to trap debris. I'd rather deal with sludge and goo, than re-ring my motor......

brad
RailBoy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: Who's Running there K & N Filters Dry? Reply with quote

So the K & N Micron Level is not that Dense is what you are getting at?

The R2C's are pretty bad ass if there Reputation is Valid. No Oiling.....

Point, the R2C's are like Tripple the Money though... RB
Boolean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: Who's Running there K & N Filters Dry? Reply with quote

RailBoy wrote:
So the K & N Micron Level is not that Dense is what you are getting at?

The R2C's are pretty bad ass if there Reputation is Valid. No Oiling.....

Point, the R2C's are like Tripple the Money though... RB
They (K&N) filter to the atomic level, but only a very small percentage of the dirt. Larger sand particles goes right through even if you use their oil. Paper filters, which are not usually made from ordinary paper, are totally awesome in comparison to this junk. K&N boast about good airflow, but forget to tell you about their superior dirtflow.
R2C is a modern filter supplier, but all paper filters are better than cotton/oil filters.
RailBoy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Who's Running there K & N Filters Dry? Reply with quote

So were is the best price placed to get the R2C's from? Been Seeing $34 Each for them is why I am wondering if anyone else out there in interweb world has seen a better price for them, and yea, that is each.. Nuts... RB
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Who's Running there K & N Filters Dry? Reply with quote

K&n filters are made of cotton. Cotton is quite absorbent, so oiling them will prevent them absorbing WATER!
Oil once, and then don't wash them until absolutely necessary. They filter poorly when new, and even worse after being cleaned. They filter best if left alone.

R2C filters are awesome synthetic material that does not tend to absorb water. Too much $? Get a job hippie! LOL, just kiddin. Actually they aren't much more than REAL K&N, but they are a lot more compared to the cheapo K&N copies. So far I like the R2C a lot, but I only have a few thousand miles on them so far.
RailBoy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Who's Running there K & N Filters Dry? Reply with quote

Yep, another small fortune.....

I keep telling myself it won't Blow Up! lol Wink RB
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Who's Running there K & N Filters Dry? Reply with quote

hmm over 100000 miles with just a spray of wd&outer wears.( but notK&N,the empi counterfit units) in florida with os so fine sand. go figure.i know how to not fuck up a filter.I have thrown away many k&n filters that were fucked up by thier owners. yes paper is better but not real good if they get wet. the rc2 should be the hot ticket,I hope that the prices come down.I dont have a clue as to wy K&N havent "updated thier filters" the kool blue axcell ones have been out for a long time and are cheep too.but...I havent seen any this size. along with other companys markiting better filters.

and for gods sake use some of the outerwears, they are great.
Bajaman65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Who's Running there K & N Filters Dry? Reply with quote

I have been using Oiled Foam Outer Wears for many years running off-road and just run the cheap K & N knock offs with out any problems. Do NOT run them Dry!
tzepesh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 12:51 am    Post subject: Re: Who's Running there K & N Filters Dry? Reply with quote

After how many miles shall r2c filters be replaced?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VWCOOL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 3:53 am    Post subject: Re: Who's Running there K & N Filters Dry? Reply with quote

With 350+++ CFM going through it, a paper filter - the choice of most of the world's vehicle manufacturers - that is damp dries in about three seconds...

It's not rocket surgery Rolling Eyes
RailBoy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: Who's Running there K & N Filters Dry? Reply with quote

Thing is after some reading in the forums there was a consensious that said that when the paper element filters are exposed to water constently that they will begin to get "Pin Holes" in them and you can sucks the paper into the orphises of the carbs, which is not good.

So, basically to combat that, I just need to get some quality filters.

I do have Jet Doctors in my carbs, but still I worry even about my idle jets with the paper elements. So bottom line, I just avoid driving it in the rain for now.. RB
Boolean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: Who's Running there K & N Filters Dry? Reply with quote

Filters that are constantly wet have a serious problem with their installation.
K&N filters are made from pinholes on the other hand.
RailBoy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: Who's Running there K & N Filters Dry? Reply with quote

My filters don't stay wet, what I am getting at is when driving in the rain, the carbs pull in the water midst through the deckled and louvers in the body above the engine.

Point, just want a filter that can deal with the water and not fall apart from moisture.

Here is a shot of my EMPI Rain Deflector. It works very well keeping water out of the engine compartment when the car is sitting, it has a rubber gasket that meets the deck lid, and as for driving, you can get the just on how it deturs water from going right into the engine compartment, mostly it is just a mist that gets sucked in if anything while driving, but none the less the carbs do pull in the midst which leads to the reason for the post.... RB

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: Who's Running there K & N Filters Dry? Reply with quote

Dry filters ruined one rebuild I did for a guy- so found a small oil tractor filter and a new motor- ya no warranty- and off they went again for almost a year befor his GF ran it out of oil.

SO- when running Baja s in the desert, (at least here in AZ- where we export sand for filter testers) you need something better than a soup can sized filter no matter what you spray on it.

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
HRVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: Who's Running there K & N Filters Dry? Reply with quote

Smile I have a K&N air filter on my Turbo engine that is some 200 plus yrs old and still works ( I believe)

When new did always use the correct oil (habit from my VW dragster days)

Now I just spray some Carb cleaner or a mixture of 50/50 water and gas directly into the filter when revving the engine....either way do notice a smoother running engine and idle after usage....works for me since I only drive on the streets (5K a yr)

(VW mechanic retired)
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Who's Running there K & N Filters Dry? Reply with quote

VWCOOL wrote:
With 350+++ CFM going through it, a paper filter - the choice of most of the world's vehicle manufacturers - that is damp dries in about three seconds...

It's not rocket surgery Rolling Eyes
when it's raining and 99% humanstupiddity..........

as far as cleaning the filters on the car....when reving it.......wow.
Axitech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Who's Running there K & N Filters Dry? Reply with quote

I'm running dual 40 IDF's and K&N filters w/foam covers. I'd reall like to grab my air from up high instead of right next to the wheels. Does anyone know of an 'air filter standoff' kit? You know, something that can be bolted in place of the air filters to allow moving the filters higher up?
He said to them, “But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don’t have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. Luke 22:36

The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.-Thomas Jefferson
Bajaman65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Who's Running there K & N Filters Dry? Reply with quote

Axitech wrote:
I'm running dual 40 IDF's and K&N filters w/foam covers. I'd reall like to grab my air from up high instead of right next to the wheels. Does anyone know of an 'air filter standoff' kit? You know, something that can be bolted in place of the air filters to allow moving the filters higher up?

You can always get the CB covers and run a hose to where ever you want. These have been around for many years.
http://www.cbperformance.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=3388
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: