Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1959 Swedish Campingbox
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vwmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 4:36 pm    Post subject: 1959 Swedish Campingbox Reply with quote

I first saw this bus (http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=458363&highlight=) with my wife about a year and a half ago when we checked out another bus vwboop had for sale. The other bus wasn’t for us (rusty) and we left wishing it had been the 59 that was for sale. Fast forward to last summer when this bus showed up for sale on Samba. At the time I didn’t think there was any way we could swing it, and we just focused on having a good time with what we had- 71 bay, 73 vert and 65 beetle. Then this fall, I found myself aggressively looking for another bus specifically for a westy. By this point the 59 had disappeared off samba and I figured it had sold, and had pushed it out of my mind. We almost bought another bus but the deal collapsed and we were back to square one. The next day the ad for the 59 showed back up and I had this feeling it was a sign and I needed to pursue it.
To make a long story short, we bought the bus. The last few weeks have been a bit of emotional roller coaster as we sold off a bunch of stuff and had to move cars around to make room for her at home. I would like to thank Chris and Gina for working with us to make this happen, and it was the only car deal I've ever done that ended in a group hug! Got it home last week and pulled everything out and sorted through it, it's like a giant puzzle Smile

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
iamdonquixote
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 1959 Swedish Campingbox Reply with quote

you got my attention Dancing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DanM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 1959 Swedish Campingbox Reply with quote

very, very cool!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cuñado Wear
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 1959 Swedish Campingbox Reply with quote

Congrats! Nice bus and story. I've recently got my first camper and in Process of getting my education on all the different campers.

Looking for front kick panels for late 63' Deluxe Basalt Gray
60' Double Cab
63' 15 Window Deluxe
vwmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 1959 Swedish Campingbox Reply with quote

My intent with this bus is to keep it as original as possible and will be doing my best to do a preservation rather than a restoration. Hope to drive the wheels off this thing once it's all together. This bus is believed to be a Westfalia painted bus, and had one repaint sometime many years ago by a VW dealership in Saskatchewan, Canada so they could resell it on the used car lot.

Had a little extra time during the holidays so started playing with stripping that had already been started. I'm lucky, the wife loves it as much as I do!

I Went to Home Depot and bought a vast array of solvents, scotch bright, gloves and steel wool! Also read the whole og paint thread, but most of the name brand products we don't have here, so settled on the nearest thing. Long story short, but by far the best combo I found was acetone and 0000 steel wool. Softens the repaint but doesn't affect the orig paint. This took about 4hrs and about a gal of acetone, as it flashes off so quick!

After a little more clean up, and a quick hand application of cleaner wax I was amazed by the shine! I think wih lots of time, dent repair and touch up, the orig paint will be saveable. The westy paint is very fragile as compared to factory VW, and is very thin, especially the lighter blue.

More to come
zuggbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 1959 Swedish Campingbox Reply with quote

First of all, congratulations. You have a very cool and rare Westfalia. Looking forward to watching your progress.
Low Bräu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 1959 Swedish Campingbox Reply with quote

Very cool bus! Lucky, you. I love seeing unique special production vehicles pop up especially in good condition. I don't recall seeing this when it came up for sale.
(321) 449-4665

Specializing in repair and maintenance for Porsche, BMW, Mini, Audi, and Volkswagen.

1952 Standard Beetle
1960 SO-23 Westfalia
1961 L-380 Turkis Deluxe Beetle
1985 Vanagon Country Homes Camper (work in progress - EG33 swap)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 1959 Swedish Campingbox Reply with quote

Left hand drive, left hand doors, left side submarine hatch, campingbox with all the fixin's. Whoa, dang, sheesh!
campingbox Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 1959 Swedish Campingbox Reply with quote

Congratulations Mike!

Super jealous.

Would it be better to continue with the thread Chris started?
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=458363
junichi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 11:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 1959 Swedish Campingbox Reply with quote

My dream bus! Enjoy.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 11:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 1959 Swedish Campingbox Reply with quote

campingbox wrote:
Congratulations Mike!

Super jealous.

Would it be better to continue with the thread Chris started?
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=458363

Thanks Greg,

Jealous of the condition of your interior in the 15w! Mines gonna take a lot of work to make it look like that!

I thought about it and decided to start new. That was the "find" thread this will be the build thread.

I'll need lots of help with some of the details on putting this back together as I've never taken apart an early westy before Smile
jjjjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 5:03 am    Post subject: Re: 1959 Swedish Campingbox Reply with quote

Congratulations! Love that bus. Glad to see someone got it who plans to preserve it! Paint work is looking great Very Happy
IG:j.stenner
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
earlywesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 6:10 am    Post subject: Re: 1959 Swedish Campingbox Reply with quote

Mike this is a great bus, I crawled all over it with Chris a couple of years ago. You are very lucky to own this very special bus. Please take your time with it and methodically research it's unique history. Chris did a great job of collecting parts for it. He and Gina are awesome folks and always willing to help out.

I too wanted this bus badly and also thought there was no way I could swing it. I am glad it stayed in Canada and local. Feel free to post any questions or comments here as we'll all be happy to help out.

Eric
Big Bill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: 1959 Swedish Campingbox Reply with quote

Beautiful Bus, the first photo of all the bits and pieces laid out is GREAT. My new screen saver,Thank You Very Happy
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: 1959 Swedish Campingbox Reply with quote

Will be following this thread, glad to see the bus has surfaced and we can follow its progress.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
srfndoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: 1959 Swedish Campingbox Reply with quote

Nothing better than another Westy saved and on the road! Good luck with the preservation, hopefully you will be driving it soon.
vwmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: 1959 Swedish Campingbox Reply with quote

jjjjack wrote:
Congratulations! Love that bus. Glad to see someone got it who plans to preserve it! Paint work is looking great Very Happy

Thanks Jack. I think I've read your build thread 3 times now since buying the bus. What you did with your bus was quite incredible. If the paint stripping hadn't been started on this one already, I'm not sure I would of been brave enough to try it myself.
vwmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: 1959 Swedish Campingbox Reply with quote

Big Bill wrote:
Beautiful Bus, the first photo of all the bits and pieces laid out is GREAT. My new screen saver,Thank You Very Happy

Thanks. One of our favourite shots too. I actually went up on the roof of my house to get it just right, lol
vwmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: 1959 Swedish Campingbox Reply with quote

buseric wrote:
Mike this is a great bus, I crawled all over it with Chris a couple of years ago. You are very lucky to own this very special bus. Please take your time with it and methodically research it's unique history. Chris did a great job of collecting parts for it. He and Gina are awesome folks and always willing to help out.

I too wanted this bus badly and also thought there was no way I could swing it. I am glad it stayed in Canada and local. Feel free to post any questions or comments here as we'll all be happy to help out.

Eric

Thanks Eric. I'm very happy to own it. It was also very easy as I'm just 30 min down the road from Chris and it's already registered here in BC, so that went a long way.
vwmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 1959 Swedish Campingbox Reply with quote

Have a few days off during the holidays so have been working on the bus as much as I can. I'm not very good at taking pictures while I work, gonna have to make a point of that! Did some more stripping on the roof, and have mixed feelings about it, not much paint left. The westy applied paint is super thin! I'm being very gentle and using acetone and 0000 steel wool, this isn't removing any of the og blue under, there was just a lot of areas where it was either sanded or worn down to primer before it was resprayed. It's slow going and I'm working in the garage doors closed as the high today is freezing. From reading the og paint thread I figure lots of people go thru this, wondering what they've got themselves into....

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: