Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What Platinum Plugs are People Running in there Strokers?
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
RailBoy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 8:43 pm    Post subject: What Platinum Plugs are People Running in there Strokers? Reply with quote

Hello All..... I was advised to run Platinum Plugs in my 2180 for they have a wider Heat Range than the normal plugs.

I went through the forums for info but there was not really any info there, also what I heard in the Forums that were avaliable is that Platinum Plugs work good with a somewhat Lean Condiction when it comes to jetting. So, before I jump right into jetting for my plugs I have now read great really but I have a slight Popping at times, I figured I try the Platinum Plugs first.

Yea, on my jetting I may need to go up a touch richer on my idles, but the popping is so suttle that new plugs maybe in order for what I am running now are stockers... So I like to give Platinums a try. RB
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 11:47 pm    Post subject: Re: What Platinum Plugs are People Running in there Strokers Reply with quote

Platinum plugs are mostly for longer life.
The only time I'd use a platinum plug in a VW is if the plug has stripped out and I have to do an in vehicle repair; try to make that one plug last until the rest of it wears out.
Otherwise use a copper core plug and change once a year.
RailBoy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: What Platinum Plugs are People Running in there Strokers Reply with quote

Hey Modok, Happy New Year by the way....

On plugs, I had heard that the Platinums have the broader heat range, this is why I was thinking of trying to run them. Don't mind pulling them every now and then to Antisieze, but in all, I am looking for a plug to run in my new engine.

Oh, the new engine is a 2180, 8.5-9 to 1 CR, Engle 120 Cam with Dual DRLA's.

Point, I had also heard what I posted above, that the Platinums run better with a slight lean jetting. See, I have a slight lean jetting set-up, my current plugs read great, have a slight soot at the muffler, and every now and then have some slight quiet popping. I think it is my idles need to be bumped up a notch, but just have not done it. Also, I have put on 1,000 Miles on the engine with this set-up and it rolls.

Point again, what plugs should I try? I know what CB Told me on the phone, then there is some info in the threads, but see varing responces from all kinds of angles from peeps out there.

So, yea at a loss now, totally confused for I can't find the old info from when I worked on my Street Rail. Sucks, plus since I sold the Rail, I just can't go out and pull one to get the plugs numbers... RB
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: What Platinum Plugs are People Running in there Strokers Reply with quote

once a year......how effing stupid.
RailBoy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: What Platinum Plugs are People Running in there Strokers Reply with quote

What is once a year Mr. Mark, pulling the plugs to Antiseize so they do not gaull the threads????? RB
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: What Platinum Plugs are People Running in there Strokers Reply with quote

waste of time, money,more wear on threads,a lot more of a possiabuilty of something falling into the cylinder, and a cheepass using junk for plugs .tune the motor so it doesnt need plug change and use better plugs. Shocked I must be doing somethen rong again....10 yearold plugs, smooth idle, no miss, no pop,buzzes up everytime with out any issue, no fouling, threads been in there since the heads were made 14 years ago.......yupIm doing something rong....and Im cheep I wont spend good money on once a year plugs,but 23x as much for a ....lifetime plug set. im stupid......my valve covers are vented , my case is painted clear and my cotton filters work.
RailBoy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: What Platinum Plugs are People Running in there Strokers Reply with quote

Yep, that is what I am working on as well, a good clean running engine.

Since winter hit though and no garage, it is a bear to work in the elements.

But yea, I hope to get my engine to your level, mean, if I can keep a set of plugs long term, cool....

I just need to get my engine were I am happy with it, currently I am like 95% close... And man does it run well, I am rather happy with it for what I have into it parts wise and all, just needs the final tweaking... RB
Casting Timmy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: What Platinum Plugs are People Running in there Strokers Reply with quote

Do some searching about antisieze on plugs, some don't recommend that. Just a drop of oil off the dip stick works great, but there are other things you can use too.
ps2375
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: What Platinum Plugs are People Running in there Strokers Reply with quote

I went back to the Bosch Platinum's that my father installed some 2+ decades ago(although the car sat for 20yrs of that). I bought and installed a set of Bosch Supers, and thought I'd throw the Platinums back in, didn't notice any difference between either type. I'm thinking the Plat's will hold up better with the HEI ignition that I have in it.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: What Platinum Plugs are People Running in there Strokers Reply with quote

Mark your right I probably "could" put in platinum plugs and run it till it's dead. I probably could. But I'm not going to.
A platinum plug can get contaminated just as easy, or actually, easier than a conventional one. If there is a little detonation, a little contaminated gas, carbs out of tune,..........then it will kill your fancy spark plug anyway.
I got used to that with 2cycles and/or running race gas, it with a lot of modified engines it was just a matter of time before a plug would need changed, platinum plugs were for STOCK cars and guys that are too lazy to change them, but I suppose none of actually applies to my daily driver and it's been a long time since I got a bad batch of gas, so it's just habit.

I have 45 year old cylinder heads with the original threads intact! One drop of oil changed yearly. I'll stick to my habit for now. But If one plug ever does strip out I'll put a platinum plug in it and leave it be. I would!!
RailBoy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: What Platinum Plugs are People Running in there Strokers Reply with quote

Now that we are all talking Platinums, any referals on what to run in a stoker 2180 with like 8.5-9 CR?

Mean, yall do know what yall have seen out there for Platinums, my thing is I am at a loss and don't need a drag plug but rather a mid performance upgrade from stock... RB
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: What Platinum Plugs are People Running in there Strokers Reply with quote

modok wrote:

A platinum plug can get contaminated just as easy, or actually, easier than a conventional one. If there is a little detonation, a little contaminated gas, carbs out of tune,..........then it will kill your fancy spark plug anyway.
I got used to that with 2cycles and/or running race gas, it with a lot of modified engines it was just a matter of time before a plug would need changed,

If you were having problems fouling platinum plugs using race gas, it's the lead in the race gas that was the culprit. Leaded gas will foul a platinum plug just like leaded gas will foul the platinum in a CAT.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Scott Novak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 11:15 pm    Post subject: Re: What Platinum Plugs are People Running in there Strokers Reply with quote

Platinum plugs are really only beneficial for marginal ignition systems.

With good ignition system copper core plugs will have a higher voltage inside the spark plug gap and have a higher power spark to ignite the fuel mixture more quickly under all engine conditions.

You can use a larger spark plug gap for improved performance. However, if you open the spark plug gap for best performance you will also need watch the spark plug gap and readjust it more frequently as the gap increases.

Spark plugs can also develop seal problems between the insulator and the thread body. Replacing spark plugs more often reduces the chance of a seal failure.

As long as you change the spark plugs when they are cool, use a thread lubricant and torque them properly, changing spark plugs once a year is just not going to have a significant effect on the life of the spark plug hole threads in the head.

Scott Novak
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Scott Novak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 11:16 pm    Post subject: Re: What Platinum Plugs are People Running in there Strokers Reply with quote

And of course use a good quality thread chaser every time you change spark plugs.

Scott Novak
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: What Platinum Plugs are People Running in there Strokers Reply with quote

gotta love internet exsperts. so all the new cars have marginal systems....awesome.
they do work realy good for low cr that tends to load up at low rpm..no more loading up and fouling. and they also seem to work good on 13.8 cr with 2x4 tunnel ram big roller cam&msd....for long time....and this and that.the only thing I didnt like them in was....my 2 stroke dirt bike.
but yes I do agree my petronix is a marginal system Shocked and they work awesome with it too.go figure. but Ive only used a few hundred sets since the 80's. in oh so many different types of racing,marine,street&even lawnmowders.
with that said I have seen some that didnt work!!! mostly due to the installer breaking the plug uppon instaltion 99% of the time when there was a plug issue. Hmm Confused I wonder why they make spark plug sockets.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: What Platinum Plugs are People Running in there Strokers Reply with quote

Quote:
gotta love internet exsperts. so all the new cars have marginal systems....awesome.
they do work realy good for low cr that tends to load up at low rpm..no more loading up and fouling. and they also seem to work good on 13.8 cr with 2x4 tunnel ram big roller cam&msd....for long time....and this and that.the only thing I didnt like them in was....my 2 stroke dirt bike.
but yes I do agree my petronix is a marginal system Shocked and they work awesome with it too.go figure. but Ive only used a few hundred sets since the 80's. in oh so many different types of racing,marine,street&even lawnmowders.
with that said I have seen some that didnt work!!! mostly due to the installer breaking the plug uppon instaltion 99% of the time when there was a plug issue. Hmm Confused I wonder why they make spark plug sockets.

No...what Scott was getting at is correct.....and to qualify that....we need to explain a little bit about actual plug differences.

Using the term "platinum plugs"....really does not describe accurately the differences.

The ORIGINAL platinum plugs sold mainly by Bosch and Denso and then American plug mfgs...back in the late 70's through the 80's...are a totally different animal than so called "platinum plugs" on modern cars.

They were the original "fine wire" electrode. The actual exposed electrode was less than 1mm in diameter. It was pure platinum. It allowed older systems with spark plug wires, distributor caps, points or Hall systems.....as they got older and weaker....to spark easier with less current.

That was the Bosch advertising hook.....it would allow hard to start cars...too start easier simply by changing the plugs and doing nothing else....and it worked. It usually masked leaky spark pug boots, cracked wires, weak coils and carbonized distributor and rotor electrodes.
They sparked easier because they required less voltage to reach ionization point...and they produced noticeably smaller and cooler sparks...famous for the pink spark. but...on the smogged out engines of the 80's...they were just fine.

Modern platinum plugs....are TOTALLY different.
If they are single platinum...they usually also employ more sophisticated electrode designs...some are multi path...most have much more platinum and larger extended electrodes.

The "double" platinum is a really different animal. It uses the standard newer design platinum center electrode but also uses a puck or disc of platinum laser sintered to the ground electrode. the whole point being large spark, low resistance....but very long wearing high temperature plugs.

And....double platinum can be regappped without destroying the pluug.

The next up is iridium. Same design as extended pole platinum electrode...but with an iridium center electrode and either iridium or platinum plating (usually plating) or puck on the ground electrode. the whole point of these and the double platinum plugs is to go huge miles before the gap of the plug increases enough that they need to be gapped.

If you try to gap an iridium plug...it generally cracks the thin center electrode destroying the plug.

Another little detail that many people are starting to realize.....is that the usefulness of the double platinum and iridium plugs is:....as the auto dealers will tell you....these plugs do not require replacement or gapping before about 50-60K miles for DP and 60-80k miles for IR plugs.....because the very high temp metals do not erode and increase the gap.....BY MUCH.

The fact is that the gaps do increase...but really slowly. And since the dealer does not have to replace them during your normal warranty period...or even bother to check them.. Wink Laughing ...they LOVE them!

Add to this....many modern coil on plug ignition systems....are ion-sensing. As the gaps change a little at a time...they measure resistance an temperature about 20-30 times a second to constantly adjust exact current and pulsewidth too keep modern cars humming along like a Swiss watch.

HOWEVER: Just because the plugs will LAST 70k miles ...and the car ignition system wwill keep compensating for them.....does not mean that they should not be checked or gapped.

What it is causing...in a wide range of cars...and I know this for fact i the VW Audi products.....is that over time as the coil and ECU keep increasing current and pulsewidth to keep a uniform spark jumping across the increasing gap......the coils begin to overheat. They also can overwork/overheat the module used for switching.

Its super common to have double platinum and iridium equipped cars start burning out coils one by one in the 50-60k mile range simply because nothing iss being done. If you start checking in the 40-50k miles range...you ccn see the beginning. Usually you will see melting and deformation of plugs and wiring harnesses to individual coils cluing you in that they are running hot.

If you dont let it get beyond..wherein the internal insulation is melted and damaged on the coil windings....simply by changing the spark plugs maybe 20k earlier than their advertised 70-80k life...stops the coil overheating.

Ray
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: What Platinum Plugs are People Running in there Strokers Reply with quote

wow you mean you pry on the center electrode to gap your plugs???? I stand corrected. get the cheep plugs.I give up.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: What Platinum Plugs are People Running in there Strokers Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
wow you mean you pry on the center electrode to gap your plugs???? I stand corrected. get the cheep plugs.I give up.

Laughing
HotStreetVw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: What Platinum Plugs are People Running in there Strokers Reply with quote

Great post Ray, very informative.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: What Platinum Plugs are People Running in there Strokers Reply with quote

well im back I have changed oh soamny oe burnt out coiuld it would make you puke, and nun had iridium or platinum plugs.not a single one. Im pretty sure they do make it a lot easyer on the coil.......although ford's coil packs are shit and I dont have a clue if anything will help them. Shocked
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: