Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

83.5 1.9 Wiring/Dealer Installed AC issues
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vw4life
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 4:51 pm    Post subject: 83.5 1.9 Wiring/Dealer Installed AC issues Reply with quote

So today, I started to dig into the electrical to prepare for the truckfridge and another solar panel.

Preface-

I have never much touched the batteries on this van I have had for 2 years. I am running a 80 watt panel that was already wired into the aux battery. Apparently there is not isolator and both batteries are tied in parallel with welding cable (not an issue). I had thought there was a gowesty isolator/relay installed and would run lights/stereo thinking it was all on the house battery, but it was both. Again, not much a problem (maybe if I killed both batteries on a camp trip it would be a different story).

The issue I found today is there are 2 red wires on the main battery, 1 ties into 30 (as expected) and the other I find runs to the radiator loom and then routes up to the dealer installed AC switch. The same loom splits at the spare tire and runs to the rear where the rear mounted blower fan is also gone and not used, ( I capped all the loose ends).

The bentley isn't very clear on 83-85 fuse panel/relay panel. There are 2 T-Taps that hook into the fan switch on the radiator. My fan worked on low speed or maybe it was high speed and low never turned on. It never got hot and I never worried about it, since the fan turned on (seemed low to me)

1. Is there a radiator fan relay? Where?
2. Is fuse 7 the fan fuse? My concern is this looks pretty burned but the fuse is in tact.

At this point, I think I may run a new wire, a 30 amp fuse and a relay instead of chasing after this mess.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vw4life
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 83.5 1.9 Wiring/Dealer Installed AC issues Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vw4life
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 83.5 1.9 Wiring/Dealer Installed AC issues Reply with quote

If I use a new relay, I need to use 2 relays for the high and 1 for low. What amperage shoud this relay be able to carry? 40 amp?
vw4life
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 83.5 1.9 Wiring/Dealer Installed AC issues Reply with quote

Thinking of using this as a schematic

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=2+speed+fan+co...mp;first=1
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: