Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What's up with RS FAB?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vnyd Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: What's up with RS FAB? Reply with quote

erste wrote:
Vnyd Dog wrote:
So I got my Bigshot installed this morning. I think I love it but have only driven 5 miles. Certainly an aesthetic improvement. Nice and short throws. I enjoy the 3-2 downshift especially.
Question: Only thing I'm wondering about, and am I noob regarding shifters etc., Reverse now feels a bit wonky/sloppy/loose. I can engage it, and slight rightward pressure seems to knock it out. Does that simply mean I need to adjust the linkage a few turns either up or down inside the box? Any ideas which direction I should spin it? Shorter or longer overall to engage more "positively"?
I did follow the instructions and measured from the plate to center hole. Ray's directions says 4 inches, the FB install video the guy did 3.75 so I split the difference.

THoughts?

I measured from the shifter cutout in the body down the linkage and it was 3.75" to the center. I did this by laying a straight edge across the shifter opening from under the van.

I installed the new shifter and measured from the same place, 3.75" to center. I'm not having the issue you describe, so give that a try and hopefully it gets you closer.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Yes I think I just need an adjustment in that regard. I'll disassemble and take another look. Good to know. Also, when I measured, I did so with the assembled unit but not installed into the floor. So I just put the tape on the provided baseplate and then measured. Perhaps measuring after installation yields a more accurate result.
Honuak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: What's up with RS FAB? Reply with quote

elizer wrote:
Honuak wrote:
My advice to those of you who want to call RSFab and complain/inquire about your part...
Don't
If he is on the phone with you he cannot build your parts.
Understand that your driving an antique and want custom parts from a guy, not a massive company.
Patience and gratitude. Excellent tools in life if you desire happiness.
SAMBA

Burley, vanistan, vanagonlife, and t3 are all small businesses that I bought from. I have never had trouble communicating with and getting my calls/emails answered. According to your logic, he should have had all the parts made because he wasn't even communicating to his customers.

Its not a matter of logic for me.Its a matter of happiness. Patience, gratitude and perspective are powerful tools. I hate to say it but I think that if I were more logical I'd have a Sprinter, not a 30+ year old VW. I too have purchased parts and services from numerous small vendors here and on other sites, sometimes my call was not answered right away and my part took awhile to reach me.
RS fab has made a great product. I think the question you have to ask yourself is do you think RS Fab is trying to rip you off. And the answer to that has to be a resounding no. He may not be as savvy or experienced as you would like, or timely, or organized. I'm not saying he isn't without fault, I am saying put things in perspective and find joy. To me it is clear that the guy was drowning in a sea of demands from people who are incredibly passionate about their vans and all the very cool parts and support we are privileged to enjoy. We are part of an amazing community. Over and over people want to talk to me about my van and over and over I talk about this forum as a source of inspiration and support, that includes all the suppliers of custom part and pieces. I'm not foolish enough to think that anything I have to say will change anyone's perspective. But I did want to put a word in to counter the rants.
elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: What's up with RS FAB? Reply with quote

Honuak - I hear what you are saying and agree I don't think he went out and said... let me screw these guys. I had a response to the rest of your post, but I don't disagree with it so ill leave it at that.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: What's up with RS FAB? Reply with quote

Christopher Schimke wrote:
gears wrote:
4x ????!!! Forgetaboutit. Not even 2x for high end specialty items like this.

Exactly!

Didn’t mean to suggest everyone in the specialty van parts business is charging 4x. This is a general number for general manufacturing. Your tires or LED lights are more along those lines. Your special wheels are likely much more, like 6, 8, 10x costs (?). Specialty oils are up there too. I agree 2x can work for “high end specialty” in cases where much of the salary is paid in satisfaction.

The 2x model depends upon existing systems, discretionary funding, no employees (or free/family) where rent/mortgage is covered. No insurance, minimal eqpt costs, free advertising low customer service requirements & possibly even avoiding taxes. All those components has a “value” that’s perhaps ignored in the assessment. And risk has a cost, likely ignored too.

And sales model where you can to sell a large percentage directly to the end customer (retail) minimizing wholesale perhaps only as a favor, with a very small discount and certainly no “distribution”.

Thats more or less exactly 2x. Wink

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: What's up with RS FAB? Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
Christopher Schimke wrote:
gears wrote:
4x ????!!! Forgetaboutit. Not even 2x for high end specialty items like this.

Exactly!

I agree 2x can work for “high end specialty” in cases where much of the salary is paid in satisfaction.

I don't know...You may be shocked at the extremely low margins many automotive specialty shops are forced to work with to remain competitive and make enough sales to keep the lights on. A small shop that manufactures their own part(s) or has them manufactured exclusively for them still have a really tough time cracking the 2x threshold. Most feel extremely lucky if they can get 100% markup, but most make do with closer to 40-50% at most. And yes, I am referring to their bespoke products, not resold products from another manufacturer. And this is why a company needs to be either focused on the wholesale market so they can sell in volume to retailers or relatively diverse in their offerings to make up for the low margins.

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: What's up with RS FAB? Reply with quote

Exactly right, Christopher ..
'87 Syncro GL 2.5
https://guardtransaxle.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: What's up with RS FAB? Reply with quote

You two guys offer the perspective of experience as direct specialty products merchants. The difference between my experience and yours may have a component of "perception" or "perspective" or both (and other factors too).

But also suggests another conclusion central to this thread. Design, production, and merchandising of a specialty device is not the realm of thieves. It's the hard work of an enthusiast, which I believe Mr RS FAB is. I sure hope he can satisfy the folks who put $$ out.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: What's up with RS FAB? Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
.. Design, production, and merchandising of a specialty device is not the realm of thieves. It's the hard work of an enthusiast, which I believe Mr RS FAB is..

x2 The other stuff aside, Ray's shifter is WELL worth what he charges.
'87 Syncro GL 2.5
https://guardtransaxle.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: What's up with RS FAB? Reply with quote

gears wrote:
Sodo wrote:
.. Design, production, and merchandising of a specialty device is not the realm of thieves. It's the hard work of an enthusiast, which I believe Mr RS FAB is..

x2 The other stuff aside, Ray's shifter is WELL worth what he charges.

X3

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
RicoS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: What's up with RS FAB? Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
I think Ray should communicate. And NOT hold peoples' money. . .

¡EXACTAMENTE!

Richie (near The Burgj)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cactuskombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:34 pm    Post subject: Re: What's up with RS FAB? Reply with quote

Well the shifter arrived today. Actually, I went to pick it up after clearance by NZ Customs.

I was working today so the package had to wait in the car until I got home.

It is a nicely made product. Not too happy with the finish on the shifter rod itself. It is most likely the powder coating. Plus, I did not get the shift ball I had asked for. Ray had advised me of that recently and said he would include an adapter so that I could use my factory shift knob. They said I could have one later. As I wanted the transaction to be completed bad, I didn't complain.

So,

1. What's the story? No shift balls in stock?
2. Nearly 3 months to get the item.

Ok. So I have the item. I am going to install it this weekend. I thought about doing it this afternoon but am so busy.

Advice for RSfAB :

Build on your strengths - good engineered item.
Work on your communication.
dbartisan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: What's up with RS FAB? Reply with quote

Ray is shipping the shifters from his holiday sale.

I just received my Fed-Ex tracking number this morning. Looks like my shifter should be here by tomorrow.

-Steve C.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bstein
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: What's up with RS FAB? Reply with quote

dbartisan wrote:
Ray is shipping the shifters from his holiday sale.

I just received my Fed-Ex tracking number this morning. Looks like my shifter should be here by tomorrow.

-Steve C.

Me, too. Got mine a few days my order for the holiday sale. Looks awesome ... killing me I have to wait another week to get the time to install it.

Brian
Gruppe B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: What's up with RS FAB? Reply with quote

Just ordered a Big Shot Shifter for my new project Vanagon! The upgrade is so incredible in my existing Westfalia that driving the new Van without the shifter upgrade feels so sloppy and wide.

Great sale price and free shipping too!

So awesome, thanks everyone!
erste
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:45 pm    Post subject: Re: What's up with RS FAB? Reply with quote

It's really encouraging to see that their website now reflects the quantity in-stock and that they'll ship out in 1-2 days.

Good luck RS Fab! Please keep making sweet new parts for these old vans. Cool

edit - I paid $340 shipped in October, but even with the price increase, it's worth it.
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:16 am    Post subject: Re: What's up with RS FAB? Reply with quote

I follow this guy on instagram. He recently posted about bragging about his new shipping center area of shop. To me that shows he is excited/happy to be expanding. I would be confident in placing an order. I have other things to knock out before I buy his shift though.
GDTRFB>
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: What's up with RS FAB? Reply with quote

I wanted to let everyone know that I received my shifter a week after I ordered it (Delivered 12/14/17). I received two tracking numbers for two shipments. The communication was stellar and I would not hesitate to order again. The shifter is gorgeous and the packing was incredible. The free pizza cutter/bottle opener rocks!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pomfritz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: What's up with RS FAB? Reply with quote

This is on the wish list. Though curious if it would take care of my shift issue. I’ve gone through mine over the past few years, replaced the tabs on the fork, added the short throw kit and extender. A little wiggly, though seems normal. Overall it seems to work well but I have some trouble finding second on a down shift at times. Also downshifting to first takes some finnessing at times. Clutch is about two years new.
Goodie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: What's up with RS FAB? Reply with quote

I'm by no means looking to create a negative vibe or suggesting any poor business practices whatsoever regarding RS Fab.
Its been a few weeks since placing my order and paying for a shifter. I'm simply wondering how long I should expect to wait until I see my shipment on my doorstep. I'm excited to get this much anticipated upgrade installed and enjoying it's performance.
Any feedback from recent RS Fab customers that have received their shifter in the last month would be greatly appreciated!
Happy motoring!

UPDATE: Ray PM'd me right away. Thanks Ray!
Shifter is enroute. Very much looking forward to some improved shifting!!
ALstew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: What's up with RS FAB? Reply with quote

Goodie wrote:
I'm by no means looking to create a negative vibe or suggesting any poor business practices whatsoever regarding RS Fab.
Its been a few weeks since placing my order and paying for a shifter. I'm simply wondering how long I should expect to wait until I see my shipment on my doorstep. I'm excited to get this much anticipated upgrade installed and enjoying it's performance.
Any feedback from recent RS Fab customers that have received their shifter in the last month would be greatly appreciated!
Happy motoring!

UPDATE: Ray PM'd me right away. Thanks Ray!
Shifter is enroute. Very much looking forward to some improved shifting!!

That's great news!

I am going to placing an order fairly soon, for both my vans!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Page 7 of 14

Jump to: