Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What's up with RS FAB?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
gcat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: What's up with RS FAB? Reply with quote

Just wanted to give an update a year later and my big shot is holding on just like the day I got it.. it is one of my favorite things in my vanagon I am so used to the big shot when I drive another van i feel like I'm crunching over to shift. This thing was worth every cent and since this original thread started hes turned his company around! Good job Ray you make some of the best stuff on the market keep it up!
Sker N SLO
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: What's up with RS FAB? Reply with quote

Has anyone placed an order with RS FAB in 2019? I read all of the issues from the past. But I had my fingers crossed they had passed since they now list the number of parts in stock on their site.

However, I placed an order for the automatic shifter back in February. It said they had 142 in stock. Its been over two months now and no shifter delivered! I talked to Ray a few weeks after the order on the phone but there was no follow up email. They have only replied (Melanie replied) to one email over a month ago. That email just said that she would ask Ray about my order.

Thought I would see if anyone else was having any luck....

Update 5/23/2019:
Received my shifter just shy of 3 months after ordering. Placed a claim with Paypal and two days later received an email with a tracking number.

The shifter looks great in the van and is an awesome upgrade. RS Fab has a great product. I’m glad I got the chance to put it in my van.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
throughhiker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: What's up with RS FAB? Reply with quote

I also placed an order about 3 weeks ago (for a shifter linkage) and have received no response after multiple emails, calls, voicemails, facebook messages, carrier pigeons, smoke signals .....

@ Sker N SLO - good to hear they finally got back to you. it leaves me a little hope that there is actually someone there! If I don't hear anything soon, then I will try your paypal claim strategy and see if that prompts a response.
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: What's up with RS FAB? Reply with quote

federal law limits how long they can sit on your money w/o shipping (maybe 90 days?? IIRC)

some of you need to file a complaint with the consumer protection agency in your state or theirs - mention how many people have had this problem - should get their attention
vandroid
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: What's up with RS FAB? Reply with quote

We paid for the shifter, linkage and a few other parts, so far back they were full price. We have given up any hope they will be shipped. People who do business like this should be shut down!
vegpedlr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: What's up with RS FAB? Reply with quote

This is bad news. I was impressed by the Big Shot shifter and want one.
Gruppe B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: What's up with RS FAB? Reply with quote

vegpedlr wrote:

It's not a concern. He supplies Vancafe and they have in stock. He's sold out on his own website and won't take an order for them until restocked.

https://www.vancafe.com/BSS104-p/bss104.html
The bigshot is the best upgrade I've ever done to my vans (own 2)

Last edited by Gruppe B on Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
guevarache
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: What's up with RS FAB? Reply with quote

Van Cafe still has some in stock. Just bought one.
Sker N SLO
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: What's up with RS FAB? Reply with quote

I did the PayPal claim because they have rules on how long after a purchase is made that you can submit a dispute. I believe it has to be filled within 180 days of payment. Keep that in mind. Disputes are typically finalized in 30 days.

I did speak to Ray on the phone shortly after the purchase. They did have a website issue at one point. However, that was several months ago. The site took orders but their system didn’t show it. There is still no excuse for the “ghosting” of emails or phone calls.

On a similar but different note....I tried to purchase a product (Shovel Lock) from Bomber Products in Bozeman, MT around the same time. It never shipped either so I had to put a claim in for it as well. The company never replied to the claim so i was refunded. I guess PayPal or the credit card company takes them to court. All that is to say is that it doesn’t always work out!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:53 pm    Post subject: Re: What's up with RS FAB? Reply with quote

In a world of instant comunication from massive retailers on the status of orders, dealing with our small vendors who offer quality specialized parts for our vans can be frustrating.

I’ve heard nothing but rave reviews on product quality from RS FAB. Likewise from T3. I’ve also heard of and experienced less than awesome customer experiences from these vendors, mostly along the lines of not shipping in 24-48 hours let alone weeks or months. I’ve been dealing with similar vendors going back to the early ‘80s (think specialized parts for bmw motorcycles: Bing Very Happy ’s us distributor, Motorrad Electrik, Luftmeister, Keith Patchett, etc.). Great people doing great work to support ultra-niche passions. If there’s one thing I’d wish for from these great folks it would be better communication on the status of orders. On the other hand, one upside is that weeks after placing an order, e-mailing about status and getting no reply, a surprise package shows up weeks after I ordered it. Its like Christmas! Very Happy

I’ve slowly come to understand variable service levels from our niche vendors and hope they’re spending some quality time with their family after a hectic day chasing down orders of obscure parts while feeling slightly bad about not responding to the dozen e-mails from eager customers they receved that day. I haven’t always had this view. Maybe I’m getting soft. Very Happy

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Mellow Yellow 74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:35 am    Post subject: Re: What's up with RS FAB? Reply with quote

jimf909 wrote:
I’ve slowly come to understand variable service levels from our niche vendors and hope they’re spending some quality time with their family after a hectic day chasing down orders of obscure parts while feeling slightly bad about not responding to the dozen e-mails from eager customers they receved that day. I haven’t always had this view. Maybe I’m getting soft. Very Happy

Big difference in not responding to emails you received that day and having a customer giving up any hope that they will receive the product they paid for as per an earlier post.

I suggest RS Fab stops taking orders on his web site, works hard to honour his existing customer orders and then only sell through Van Cafe based on pre made lots can actually supply.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:51 am    Post subject: Re: What's up with RS FAB? Reply with quote

Put down the internet, pick up the phone, And order it, billable on shipment.

If they won’t take the order that way, don’t buy it .org be prepared Tom lose money or hassle with a reversal.

If a vendor can’t fill an order without up front money, they aren’t in business.
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: What's up with RS FAB? Reply with quote

jimf909 wrote:

I, for one, can sincerely appreciate this attitude. I don't know Ray and I have no clue about anything in his life, but I can tell that you running a thriving, growing small business all alone is extremely difficult. I don't share a whole lot of personal information here, but today, because of this thread, I will.

Recently, I went through a couple of years of serious business growth pains which just happened to coincide with multiple personal challenges and disasters that made keeping my head above water incredibly difficult. All in a couple of year period, I had two heart attacks, went through a not-so-kind divorce that broke me both financially and emotionally, had a daughter move off to college, had to care for my 70's mother through a broken shoulder, breast cancer, surgery for a twisted bowel, and an intestinal hernia (yes, all of that within a couple of years for her), lost my house and my shop, lost four dogs to sickness and/or old age, and I have a special needs son to care for all the while. All of that on top of trying to keep a business afloat to try to make a living and survive.

I'm sharing all of that because when you look at a person or a micro-business from the outside, you have no way of knowing what is going on in their lives that may be causing delays in shipping, delays in communication, etc. That's definitely not to say that there's an excuse for bad behavior. If the cause is pure laziness, lack of caring, or lack of attention, that's a whole different story. But when you experience a delay in shipping, what feels like poor communication, or your parts take a while to get there, please consider that there may be more to the story than meets the eye.

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: What's up with RS FAB? Reply with quote

Christopher Schimke wrote:
jimf909 wrote:

I, for one, can sincerely appreciate this attitude. I don't know Ray and I have no clue about anything in his life, but I can tell that you running a thriving, growing small business all alone is extremely difficult. I don't share a whole lot of personal information here, but today, because of this thread, I will.

Recently, I went through a couple of years of serious business growth pains which just happened to coincide with multiple personal challenges and disasters that made keeping my head above water incredibly difficult. All in a couple of year period, I had two heart attacks, went through a not-so-kind divorce that broke me both financially and emotionally, had a daughter move off to college, had to care for my 70's mother through a broken shoulder, breast cancer, surgery for a twisted bowel, and an intestinal hernia (yes, all of that within a couple of years for her), lost my house and my shop, lost four dogs to sickness and/or old age, and I have a special needs son to care for all the while. All of that on top of trying to keep a business afloat to try to make a living and survive.

I'm sharing all of that because when you look at a person or a micro-business from the outside, you have no way of knowing what is going on in their lives that may be causing delays in shipping, delays in communication, etc. That's definitely not to say that there's an excuse for bad behavior. If the cause is pure laziness, lack of caring, or lack of attention, that's a whole different story. But when you experience a delay in shipping, what feels like poor communication, or your parts take a while to get there, please consider that there may be more to the story than meets the eye.

Cripes! Hang in there dude! Dealing with all this yet we could always count on you to send us top quality parts always shipped out really quick! Hoping better days are coming your way.
SyncroButter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: What's up with RS FAB? Reply with quote

Gruppe B wrote:
vegpedlr wrote:

It's not a concern. He supplies Vancafe and they have in stock. He's sold out on his own website and won't take an order for them until restocked.

http://rsfabparts.com/product/big-shot-vanagon-shifter/

I mean... RS Fab is clearly still taking orders and not filling them, this is not new. Our fellow Samba/Vanagon brethren are being mistreated on a $360+ purchase. Dismissing that as "not a concern" is a head shaker.

I have posted before that I love RS Fab's product... my bigshot is great, I really want to get a second one for my Doka. I saw the move toward having stock available with Van Cafe as just what the doctor ordered for RS Fab. But RS Fab is going to need to stop the bleeding by shutting down their own purchase channel before I will stop hating on them, they clearly cannot be trusted as a business and that sucks. From all accounts Ray himself is a genuine guy who I would want to have a beer with, but sure seems like his company is acting unethically. Whats more, unless I missed an update they still have BavarianWrench's loaned shifter linkage and that too sucks.
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: What's up with RS FAB? Reply with quote

... there may be more to the story than meets the eye.

Gads, ChrisToph3r!! Hang in there, we're all pulling for you. Thanks for your wisdom over the years, and thanks for sharing your story. I've had enough of those same issues to have had to 'grow up' and face my own circumstance and mortality. Family First. We can be patient! I am glad you are here, still among us.

-bobby
Gruppe B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: What's up with RS FAB? Reply with quote

Hello Chris,
Thanks for all your work helping me out with my orders over the years!
Nothing but praise from me man

Cheers,
Gruppe B
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: What's up with RS FAB? Reply with quote

Chris, Thanks for the perspective. Not all is always what it seems. Here is hoping much better times are coming.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Gruppe B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: What's up with RS FAB? Reply with quote

SyncroButter wrote:
Gruppe B wrote:
vegpedlr wrote:

http://rsfabparts.com/product/big-shot-vanagon-shifter/

I mean... RS Fab is clearly still taking orders and not filling them, this is not new. Our fellow Samba/Vanagon brethren are being mistreated on a $360+ purchase. Dismissing that as "not a concern" is a head shaker.

I have posted before that I love RS Fab's product... my bigshot is great, I really want to get a second one for my Doka. I saw the move toward having stock available with Van Cafe as just what the doctor ordered for RS Fab. But RS Fab is going to need to stop the bleeding by shutting down their own purchase channel before I will stop hating on them, they clearly cannot be trusted as a business and that sucks. From all accounts Ray himself is a genuine guy who I would want to have a beer with, but sure seems like his company is acting unethically. Whats more, unless I missed an update they still have BavarianWrench's loaned shifter linkage and that too sucks.

If you run through the order method he is sold out of the bigshot and he wont take your cash.

I stated that there is not a concern, which there isn't because he can place an order thru Vancafe with the link I posted (they have in stock)

He stated he was concerned he wouldnt receive it, but that is not a concern if he trusts Vancafe.
Franklinstower
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: What's up with RS FAB? Reply with quote

I received their Suby shift linkage kit from the SubaruGears black-Friday sale, it actually shipped on time and Ray responded when I asked when it will ship.

However since then, I had asked him questions about the supplied instructions (on his website) because they were clearly from an early version and not updated to the kit I received. He replied back once basically stating everything is still the same (when obviously it wasn't) and I have left a few voice messages and a few emails over the last 4 months and never heard back.

The linkage wasn't that hard to figure out, however, just a few extra sentences, omissions and changes to his posted instructions would have saved me hours figuring it out.

If you are so busy in life to not have the time to run the business, but still collect monies, then maybe you should hire some help or give up control. Seriously, a high school kid could fill orders and probable answer the phone and email inquiries.

At least make a public notice on the website noting orders are being slowly processed or on hold until further notice. Bad news is always better than no news.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Page 8 of 14

Jump to: