Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What's up with RS FAB?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: What's up with RS FAB? Reply with quote

Gruppe B wrote:

Really inferior. I bought one years ago from the classifieds and never installed. You have to drill a hole in the shift lever making a weak point that has been often reported to break causing the owner to weld the shifter or find another one. I have the shifter kit still in my garage and I'll sell it cheap (shipping) but I wouldnt install it in my van.

Good info. That sounds familiar. Maybe it even showed up in this thread.

I can’t say I ever even thought of the shift lever throw (or length) in a Vanagon to be a problem but it’s fun to try some mods. This was one I had down as a possibility.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: What's up with RS FAB? Reply with quote

From another thread...

Quote:
MODERATOR NOTE:Aug 2019
THIS SELLER HAS A HISTORY OF NOT COMMUNICATING, NOT SHIPPING AFTER HAVING TAKEN YOUR MONEY!!!!

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=645384

Shop wisely

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Luckyphil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:21 am    Post subject: Re: What's up with RS FAB? Reply with quote

I have sent many emails over the last 8 weeks however sometimes Melanie gets back to me asking me to clarify what I want then no answer. Either Ray has gone broke or is no longer interested in selling his great parts. I wanted to get 2 big shot shifters and some other stuff bu looks like that wont happen. Hey Ray if you are reading this what the go mate.
Wellington
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:33 am    Post subject: Re: What's up with RS FAB? Reply with quote

Do you want a shifter or the right to complain?
Vancafe has the shifter in stock, order it from them, and get a few other parts you need shipped at the same time.

I agree no communication is very bad business. Maybe Ray has a commitment to shops to supply them first?
It is certainly easier to ship 25 units to Vancafe than to deal with 25 different requests, maybe he is going wholesale.
Again, I'm not supporting his choice to ignore requests.
Luckyphil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:48 am    Post subject: Re: What's up with RS FAB? Reply with quote

Wellington wrote:
Vancafe has the shifter in stock, order it from them, and get a few other parts you need shipped at the same time.

I agree no communication is very bad business. Maybe Ray has a commitment to shops to supply them first?
It is certainly easier to ship 25 units to Vancafe than to deal with 25 different requests, maybe he is going wholesale.
Again, I'm not supporting his choice to ignore requests.

Well Well Wellington, I do already have a big shot in fact was the first in Australia to get one a few years ago, left positive feedback on Rays site as well. Rays pathetic treatment or plain disregard for customers prompted my post so whats your excuse. I had convinced 2 others here in Australia to get the big shot but Ray dosnt help. We in Australia have the pleasure of having 5 speed gearboxes and if you had chosen to look Van Cafe dont sell the 5 speed. I also have been a loyal customer of VanCafe for many years & today ordered a rear wheel carrier from them. Instead of making up scenarios for why Ray dosnt communicate why dont you as him yourself. He probably wont answer though.
minsk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: What's up with RS FAB? Reply with quote

looks im the latest RS Fab victim. i ordered shifter linkage from him 3 months ago. emailed him a bunch times. time to get my refund...thanks for noting rs fabs. i guess RS stands for really sucky fab.
2009 audi a3

www.sunroofsyncro.com
vanagonmechanic.com

http://facebook.com/pittsburghvanagonclub
https://www.youtube.com/minskmade

my super slow 1987 sunroof syncro rebuild
https://goo.gl/photos/7e9MZhHJxGvvv1Tm7

VANAGON STICKERS
https://www.etsy.com/shop/pigeonink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rpureber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: What's up with RS FAB? Reply with quote

minsk wrote:
looks im the latest RS Fab victim. i ordered shifter linkage from him 3 months ago. emailed him a bunch times. time to get my refund...thanks for noting rs fabs. i guess RS stands for really sucky fab.

Did you purchase through PayPal? I did and was able to file a claim and get a refund.
Bindu56 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: What's up with RS FAB? Reply with quote

Has anyone received their order lately? I haven't received my latest and it's been over a month. I'm going for the refund.

I'm wondering if RSFab is still in business since there is no communication. I felt fortunate that I received my 5 speed shifter after a long delay, but that was a bout 6 months ago, and it is superb. It is such a shame that the business seems to have fallen apart, as the designs and products were great and solved so many problems. Damn shame!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
minsk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: What's up with RS FAB? Reply with quote

i did purchase through paypal...and will be getting a refund...ireally wanted the linkage...i think ill make my own.. Smile
2009 audi a3

www.sunroofsyncro.com
vanagonmechanic.com

http://facebook.com/pittsburghvanagonclub
https://www.youtube.com/minskmade

my super slow 1987 sunroof syncro rebuild
https://goo.gl/photos/7e9MZhHJxGvvv1Tm7

VANAGON STICKERS
https://www.etsy.com/shop/pigeonink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RoryGirl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: What's up with RS FAB? Reply with quote

You might try contacting David Clymer directly as I think he's separate from RSfab and was the one building those linkages...hope he doesn't mind me dropping his email here -

[email protected]
outcaststudios
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:06 pm    Post subject: Re: What's up with RS FAB? Reply with quote

I’m really glad I never ended up making these for ray. When he first posted his CNC shifter thread I told him it would be faster to cast them in aluminum . He messaged me and asked me if I was interested, and now I’m glad I didn’t end up getting involved with him. People like that often don’t pay their fabricators.it sucks that there is no information about what’s going on. I hope everyone gets their stuff. That burns me up. I could’ve cast up a few hundred no problem but he insisted that cnc was cheaper. I like well made not cheap.
(rip)three type III"s
(rip) '81 vanagon
a bunch of french stuff,and 9 motorcycles.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2573791
Luckyphil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 3:37 am    Post subject: Re: What's up with RS FAB? Reply with quote

I bought 2 of Rays Big Shot Shifters about 4 years ago and have to say they are amazing and work just as well today as when new. Great product however he dosnt know how to run a business or treat customers well. I too gave up trying to contact RS as I wanted to buy some more shifters and parts but no answer, shame really as I love these shifters.
elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 5:44 am    Post subject: Re: What's up with RS FAB? Reply with quote

I really wish his communication was better because his product really is worth it. A simple disclaimer stating "May take up to 16 weeks" for production would help peoples expectations.

Are you guys putting in your paypal claims because you are reaching the time limit on it?

If I had a second vanagon I would purchase from them again.
jberger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: What's up with RS FAB? Reply with quote

Question on the product... does anyone notice more noise transmitted through the solid joints vs the O.E. setup? Last thing I would want is amplified vibration noises.

J
Gruppe B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: What's up with RS FAB? Reply with quote

outcaststudios wrote:
I could’ve cast up a few hundred no problem but he insisted that cnc was cheaper. I like well made not cheap.

RS Fab Shifters are anything but cheaply made. They are simply incredible, functional and beautiful works of art in aluminum. The best mod I have in any of my vans.

sad about his communication, not sure what is going on to not reply to a customer who paid.
khughes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: What's up with RS FAB? Reply with quote

jberger wrote:
Question on the product... does anyone notice more noise transmitted through the solid joints vs the O.E. setup? Last thing I would want is amplified vibration noises.

J

If you're getting vibration noise through your shifter, remove the knob. If it goes away, it's the knob acting as a passive amplifier, not the shifter per se. I found the top of the factory knob is very thin plastic and, at least on mine, was acting basically like a drum skin and really amplifying rattles. Put on the GoWesty machined knob and the shifter vibration noise I'd been fighting for years vanished, and hasn't returned. I think any aftermarket solid knob would work the same.
jberger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: What's up with RS FAB? Reply with quote

khughes wrote:
jberger wrote:

J

If you're getting vibration noise through your shifter, remove the knob. If it goes away, it's the knob acting as a passive amplifier, not the shifter per se. I found the top of the factory knob is very thin plastic and, at least on mine, was acting basically like a drum skin and really amplifying rattles. Put on the GoWesty machined knob and the shifter vibration noise I'd been fighting for years vanished, and hasn't returned. I think any aftermarket solid knob would work the same.

Thanks, I understand that.. I'd like to hear from volks that have the BSS. I'm thinking it's kind of akin to putting rigid suspension bushings in vs softer rubber.

Best,
Jason
Luckyphil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: What's up with RS FAB? Reply with quote

I have no vibration coming from my Big Shot Shifter. Work of art. Would gladly buy again if they were actually still for sale.
outcaststudios
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: What's up with RS FAB? Reply with quote

Gruppe B wrote:
outcaststudios wrote:
I could’ve cast up a few hundred no problem but he insisted that cnc was cheaper. I like well made not cheap.

RS Fab Shifters are anything but cheaply made. They are simply incredible, functional and beautiful works of art in aluminum. The best mod I have in any of my vans.

sad about his communication, not sure what is going on to not reply to a customer who paid.

Laughing of course...only on the samba do they think that the word 'cheap' has only one definition...'poorly made' . sad because spo many things these days are poorly made, but thats not the issue here.

i wasnt saying that the produt itself is cheap, i was saying that it woudl cost less to cast them than to spend hours milling material. you could cast these and then fabricate the rest of the assembly,and machine the bottom surface and do the passthrough holes. it would be CHEAPER to manufacture them, for instance a casting like the base part for the shifter could be made for around $40 each however in one day i could make 100, so its also faster than the machine time for the cnc method they are currently using. this in turn speeds up the lead times and people get stuff faster...
(rip)three type III"s
(rip) '81 vanagon
a bunch of french stuff,and 9 motorcycles.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2573791
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: What's up with RS FAB? Reply with quote

Wellington wrote:

I get the distinct impression if it was you, you'd be "complaining."

In fact, it sounds like you're the only one who is.

Sub-standard business practices deserve to be called out online. In fact, it's one of the only financial recourses people have on lower-ticket items that actually gets results.

— Colin Chapman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Page 10 of 14

Jump to: