Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What's up with RS FAB?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vanagon_dan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: What's up with RS FAB? Reply with quote

Quote:
Question on the product... does anyone notice more noise transmitted through the solid joints vs the O.E. setup? Last thing I would want is amplified vibration noises.

I have the shifter and feel that it does add some noise to the cockpit area. The tone changes noticeably and gets quieter when I rest my hand on the shifter and the “reverb” or acoustics are quieter in the rear of the van in either scenario. HOWEVER, I feel this is only the case because of my straight cut 4th gear. It is very quiet in third and that is a reduced helix gear. It is especially loud at low rpms in 4th, but is a good reminder to not lug the engine Wink

Quote:
If you're getting vibration noise through your shifter, remove the knob. If it goes away, it's the knob acting as a passive amplifier, not the shifter per se. I found the top of the factory knob is very thin plastic and, at least on mine, was acting basically like a drum skin and really amplifying rattles. Put on the GoWesty machined knob and the shifter vibration noise I'd been fighting for years vanished, and hasn't returned. I think any aftermarket solid knob would work the same.

This is really interesting. I may have to try this out and see if the shift knob is magnifying the issue. I’ve been toying around with the idea if attaching some long lead weights to the long sections of the linkage under the cam to see if it would soak up some of the vibes before they make their way to the shifter.
khughes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: What's up with RS FAB? Reply with quote

vanagon_dan wrote:
Quote:
Question on the product... does anyone notice more noise transmitted through the solid joints vs the O.E. setup? Last thing I would want is amplified vibration noises.

Quote:
If you're getting vibration noise through your shifter, remove the knob. If it goes away, it's the knob acting as a passive amplifier, not the shifter per se. I found the top of the factory knob is very thin plastic and, at least on mine, was acting basically like a drum skin and really amplifying rattles. Put on the GoWesty machined knob and the shifter vibration noise I'd been fighting for years vanished, and hasn't returned. I think any aftermarket solid knob would work the same.

This is really interesting. I may have to try this out and see if the shift knob is magnifying the issue. I’ve been toying around with the idea if attaching some long lead weights to the long sections of the linkage under the cam to see if it would soak up some of the vibes before they make their way to the shifter.

The 'solid looking' knob I've seen on most/all of the RS shifters would likely not suffer from the same issues. The stock knob, on mine, seems *ideal*, if not intentionally designed, to magnify noise. But if the RS knob isn't solid, or if the original knob is used, then I would expect the solid mounting to create/radiate more vibrational noise.
Bindu56 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: What's up with RS FAB? Reply with quote

Absolutely no noise from my Big Shot shifter--much quieter than the stock linkage in my experience.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
12Paths
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: What's up with RS FAB? Reply with quote

Well another crappy complaint...syncro linkage ordered a few weeks before the covid shutdown so I guess that will add to the poor guys bad reputation for timely shipping...I’m sad Sad
11BC2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: What's up with RS FAB? Reply with quote

12Paths wrote:
Well another crappy complaint...syncro linkage ordered a few weeks before the covid shutdown so I guess that will add to the poor guys bad reputation for timely shipping...I’m sad Sad

I've been waiting almost one year for my order; I'd cancel and get your money refunded.
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: What's up with RS FAB? Reply with quote

Quote:
Absolutely no noise from my Big Shot shifter

It seems like no noise from RS Fab is the real problem...

Please don't PM here, I will not reply.

Experience is kryptonite to doctrine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
20bugsys
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: What's up with RS FAB? Reply with quote

My BS shifter for the subarugears transmission came apart while driving TWICE, each time a different component failed, both times it was a pin (a different pin per occasion) falling out of it's hole. This resulted in me not being able to shift at all as I was driving down the road. Both times I tried to contact RS Fab for advice, some kind of resolution, etc and never received a response. I repaired it myself each time and it is still working but I doubt I'll buy anything from them again. I made a long photo documented post about it on the Facebook Vanagon Owners Group. I have since disabled my Facebook account so I'm not sure if it is still visible or not.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1986 | Vanagon Syncro | Restoration to bone stock
@myescapepod
@crusty_syncro
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: What's up with RS FAB? Reply with quote

Gotta knurl that pin or put a roll pin in, or glue it with press fit Loctite....
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
Forthwithtx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: What's up with RS FAB? Reply with quote

I wish I had read this before I ordered a clutch hose for $70. A month ago. Doesn't answer e-mails or the phone, and the voice mailbox is full.

'84 GL with 2001/2004 Subaru 2.5L
Franklinstower
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: What's up with RS FAB? Reply with quote

Forthwithtx wrote:
I wish I had read this before I ordered a clutch hose for $70. A month ago. Doesn't answer e-mails or the phone, and the voice mailbox is full.

Which clutch hose?
Forthwithtx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: What's up with RS FAB? Reply with quote

Franklinstower wrote:
Forthwithtx wrote:

Which clutch hose?

Clutch slave line for a reversed pinion Subaru transmission.

Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: What's up with RS FAB? Reply with quote

ALIKA T3 wrote:
Gotta knurl that pin or put a roll pin in, or glue it with press fit Loctite....

Drill a hole in the center, from below, thread it and use a setscrew or M6 bolt.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
Franklinstower
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: What's up with RS FAB? Reply with quote

Forthwithtx wrote:

I went to hydraulic hose shop and had one made for like $40 or $50. Are you using the luk 1" bore slave (Subie slave is too small, you don't get a good feel).

32" hydraulic hose with brakequip fittings~m12x1 female bubble flare; 7/16 24 sae inverted flare steel 90° on slave side. About 34" over all.
Forthwithtx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: What's up with RS FAB? Reply with quote

Franklinstower wrote:
Forthwithtx wrote:

I went to hydraulic hose shop and had one made for like $40 or $50. Are you using the luk 1" bore slave (Subie slave is too small, you don't get a good feel).

32" hydraulic hose with brakequip fittings~m12x1 female bubble flare; 7/16 24 sae inverted flare steel 90° on slave side. About 34" over all.

Got a Subaru BRZ slave which is supposed to be more compatible. Found an old line from a Subaru trans in my stash and an adapter from 10mm to 12mm. Haven’t tested it yet.

Found out my Kennedy exhaust manifold runs into a lug on the bottom of the Subaru 5MT trans. It’s superfluous, so I can grind it off, but not sure that if I do, it will be enough. Thinking about spacers at the heads to drop it down a bit, or slightly denting the slip joint (which will make it no longer “slip” unless I slot the inner pipe).

Anyway, has anybody heard from RSFab in the last six months? Terrible customer support. Still don’t have my clutch line or a response from
Email or phone.

Jmma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 10:41 pm    Post subject: Re: What's up with RS FAB? Reply with quote

Well, this was an interesting 2 hours to read the 11 pages of history.

I can't say that I'm at all surprised.

I'm sad that I only now have found this thread.
I'll start by telling you I've known Ray for about 20 years. It's true, that people don't really change....
So, a couple things.
He does have high school level educated hired help running the business. Also, for those who have received thier purchase and found that it was wrong or missing parts, that is probably due to my children being the ones that are often doing the assembly and packaging, ages 10 and 13 now. The only time that he spends with my babies is when he makes them go to the shop, begrudgingly, while exposed to a closed room full of second hand smoke. They are yelled at and berated for the work they do that he doesn't approve of and they are not compensated. They are promised gifts and rewards, that never, ever have been delivered. Gilbert PD and Mesa PD, as well as DCS have many records documenting the abuse and neglect and still have open pending investigations.

I'll spare you the 20 years of details. It looks like his Kharma is doing a great job telling the truth for him.

As for his pleading to "win back the trust of the VW community", ha! That is hilarious and nicely constructed pattern of words, false hopes, broken promises, a total scam artist, a thief and a liar.

If you'd like to send him a fruit loop basket, follow up on your claims, or maybe a nice birthday card, (he has a birthday this month on the 25th, turning 42), you can give him an email, a call, or a letter. I'm sure would love to hear from each and every one of his valued VW community family.
Please address to:

Raymond Edwin Miller III.
[email protected]
2923 S Cherry Cir, Mesa, AZ 85210
337-330-6696 Ray
337-680-8584 Melanie
337-568-4076 old#

Happy trails,
JMMA
Jmma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:49 pm    Post subject: Re: What's up with RS FAB? Reply with quote

Hahahha!!! This is just so much garbage. Feel free to PM me if I can help anyone out....
Hahah, seriously, a very comical journal entry. Just not much truth to the details, at all.

Happy trails!
JMMA

flomulgator wrote:
Excerpt as requested:
"Good evening ladies and gentlemen.
First of all, I would like to thank all who support RS Fab by purchasing our products. I am posting this to get some feedback, both good & bad. I would like to give a little history lesson to those who haven't been here since the start of RS Fab, a pet project that has turned into something much more.
When I first envisioned RS Fab, I was going through a tough divorce, living in a different state, starting a new life with an old friend. Oddly enough, we were both going through a lot of the same things. I was in a position new to me. Being an avid Volkswagen fan my whole life, owning a '79 Rabbit, '05 Gti, '63 Kombi and for a brief time a '63 Type III Squareback. I had two children from my previous marriage, a baby in the future and two more from my new girlfriend. We needed more space and set out to get something a little more modern than my Splitte, and more importantly, safer. “I found a Vanagon in Austin,” I told my girlfriend. I packed some tools and parts, hopped a Greyhound, and showed up on the gentleman's porch 16 hours later and purchased it. A little parking lot mechanics, and I was on the road, drove 5 hours back to Broussard, LA. It was a whole new platform to tinker with. Throughout my whole life, my father and I worked together on my vehicles; always redesigning things and manufacturing parts to make things a little better. We had developed a new shifter which I really enjoyed, shared some photos; next thing you know, Bam! I have a company. When I started the company, I worked at an electric forklift company based out of Addison, TX, called Malin. I was a mobile mechanic working out of my home, and drove all over the upper half of Louisiana north of I-10. This lead to a lot of windshield time and time to think. During this time in my life, I had a lot of time to ponder and exercise/make my projects come to reality.
Fast track to 2017, I've moved back to Arizona and went back to my previous job at Otis Elevator. I have a large family now, less time because of work requirements. The business has grown, more than I had ever expected. Now I have found myself in an unfamiliar situation. Sales on shifters and other odds & ends has allowed the business to grow. But how much more? Over the last couple of months, I seem to be getting farther behind. I had to step back and see what was happening. This is what I found: with the demands from my new job back in Arizona, with all the new opportunites with my children as they grow... Wow, it's become difficult to continue my more than full time job, side business and a healthy family life. What do I do? How do I divvy up my time so my passion for Volkswagens doesn't take time away from the other important things? Do I slow down at RS Fab, allowing more time for my family or be more successful at my job? Do I need to put some more of my eggs into the RS Fab basket? Keep pushing hard, complete more products so that some day I have more freedom to take a couple hours off in the middle of the day to take my children to lunch during school? Do I start throwing out the idea of Subaru conversions, done to the level I can appreciate? Or do I sell my products to distributors so the can handle the feedback from & offer a better experience for the customer? The whole purpose of this post was to get some feedback from the community which started this amazing trip. I know I'm going to get some flack from the ones still waiting on linkage rod kits I promised would be out almost a year ago... or people still waiting on black knobs for shifters in which my supplier is having import issues. That is what these groups really excel at, ideas! Comment if you have any. Thank you again for your time; this has been a lengthy post.
Your friend,
Ray Miller [email protected]
FEEL FREE TO POST TO OTHER FORUMS AND GROUPS THAT MIGHT BE OF INTEREST."
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: What's up with RS FAB? Reply with quote

Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: What's up with RS FAB? Reply with quote

Likewise. It sounds like you're in the middle of a mess that's far more important than our gripes about lousy service on silly car parts. Here's hoping it gets better for you.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Jmma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: What's up with RS FAB? Reply with quote

Cheers to that!
Not my mess anymore. I divorced him 8 years ago after I learned of his "planned baby on the way"....
Hahah, it's just too much lies.

Keep truckin',
JMMA
11BC2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:24 pm    Post subject: Re: What's up with RS FAB? Reply with quote

Awesome!
He’s on my way to El Paso, and to quote a famous singer...”B**** better have my money.”
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Page 11 of 14

Jump to: