Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Alternator going out?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
RainierSyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2022 6:32 pm    Post subject: Alternator going out? Reply with quote

Over the last year, I've been running into this situation. 60% of the time the van starts up and the red battery light goes out. The other times, the light stays on until I give the motor a little rev and then it goes out. You can hear the alternator kicking on and the volt meter jumping from 12volts to 14.

Now in the last two weeks the volt meter stays on 12 after starting and giving it a little rev doesn't always work. Sometimes the alternator kicks on when I'm driving a couple blocks down the road. Going to have the shop look at it, but I thought I'd get an opinion on it from you guys first. (1988 Syncro 2.1)
outcaststudios
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2022 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Alternator going out? Reply with quote

check the belt first but, your alternator light really should not be lit even that little dull light means its not putting out what it should. even at idle it should be 12.7 or higher.
(rip)three type III"s
(rip) '81 vanagon
a bunch of french stuff,and 9 motorcycles.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2573791
csebern
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2022 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Alternator going out? Reply with quote

I had this same problem last year. It turned out that the blue wire in the pictures below had broken causing an intermittent connection. The alternator wouldn't charge unless I revved the engine to 3000RPM once. After doing that it would then charge at idle but its output was inconsistent. All charging issues were resolved after repairing the broken wire.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2022 2:10 am    Post subject: Re: Alternator going out? Reply with quote

Just had an Alternator problem. Intermittant charging light and 10v showing on gauge.
Checked the belt first-okay
Checked voltage regulator- one brush the wire embedded into the brush has broken free at the solder on the brush itself. Still making contact by the spring pressure, but not solid contact to charge the battery.

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2022 3:55 am    Post subject: Re: Alternator going out? Reply with quote

Steve M. wrote:
Just had an Alternator problem. Intermittant charging light and 10v showing on gauge.
Checked the belt first-okay
Checked voltage regulator- one brush the wire embedded into the brush has broken free at the solder on the brush itself. Still making contact by the spring pressure, but not solid contact to charge the battery.

Same thing happen to me in October. I almost made it home to within 25 miles on a four hour drive home before the van finally died.

Bought new brushes from Advance Auto and drilled the old ones out of the regulator and resoldered new ones in, as per Allister's directions.

If the OP needs a inexpensive regulator to get you on the road here's one.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000VU7E1M?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

My broken brush regulator is a variable voltage and they are more expensive these days, so that why I wanted to fix instead of replacing. The Hella will be insurance living in the closet until needed.
'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby
What the Westy wants the Westy GETS

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Timwhy&show_results=summary

http://www.youtube.com/user/TIMWHY2?feature=mhee
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2022 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Alternator going out? Reply with quote

You can remove your Regulator and make sure it's not worn like this one.

2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: