Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Assembly required - '63 Vert Bug - Buildup.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
cjargo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 11:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Assembly required - '63 Vert Bug - Buildup. Reply with quote

Here is Strato's first lube. The guys at the shop flipped out when they saw the car then took photos, did the job, and didn't charge me. Very Happy To even the generosity, a couple of large pizzas will be anonymously delivered this week.

Next week I'll update everything that been done since my last post.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'67 Bus / Sundial - '59 Karmann Ghia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cjargo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 1:20 am    Post subject: Re: Assembly required - '63 Vert Bug - Buildup. Reply with quote

Here's what Strato has been up to..... Tomorrow will be the last of the rollup windows.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
zabo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Assembly required - '63 Vert Bug - Buildup. Reply with quote

cjargo wrote:
Here is Strato's first lube. The guys at the shop flipped out when they saw the car then took photos, did the job, and didn't charge me. Very Happy To even the generosity, a couple of large pizzas will be anonymously delivered this week.

the build is amazing -but i am confused after all this why you took it to a shop for an oil change Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cjargo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 11:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Assembly required - '63 Vert Bug - Buildup. Reply with quote

zabo wrote:
cjargo wrote:

the build is amazing -but i am confused after all this why you took it to a shop for an oil change Smile

Thanks for the kind words on the build. Strato was there for a lube only. Oil changes are done at home. If you're alluding to the fact that this place doesn't sell oil with high enough levels of zinc and phosphorous, which our solid engines are designed for, I hear ya. But that's a separate topic on a different form. Cheers.
cjargo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 1:16 am    Post subject: Re: Assembly required - '63 Vert Bug - Buildup. Reply with quote

Today was was the last of the roll up windows to be installed. BIG DAY. I never would have guessed the door windows on a vert have around 150 parts per door. I'm thankful for the Bentley VW bible and to Bob for his selfless help. Thanks! Onto some progress....

Old vent window weather stripping & OG Aluminium bar.

New rubber & philips screws then polished OG aluminium insert.

Passenger rear window detail. Rechromed frame, new rubber, pre channel clean up and final assembly. Next week I'll post a done picture.

OG screws and washers. BEFORE

AFTER / Zinc plated. This is probably the only time anyone will ever see these.

Same window installed and sealed.

Original top door jam seal (right) new (left). If someone wants the original one let me know.

Arm rest detail. Cleaned up then painted the arm rest with a satin black interior paint. The scratched up aluminium molding was sanded with a wet 1200 grit and metal polish then buffed out on a proper buffing wheel.

Here it is almost finished, just needs assembly. Turned out ok.

cjargo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:20 am    Post subject: Re: Assembly required - '63 Vert Bug - Buildup. Reply with quote

Only one day to work on Strato this week so was only able to trim then installed the front & rear rubber floors mats from WW, plus start to install the driver side carpet. The carpet around the front drivers side speaker pod and heater vent still needs a bit more fitting. Oh yeah, also installed a cool emergency brake combo lock that fits on the button end of the hand brake, which works by setting the E-brake, then spin the 3 tumblers, thus not allowing the emergency button to be depressed unless you put in the 3 digit tumbler code. Great security device.

grandpa pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Assembly required - '63 Vert Bug - Buildup. Reply with quote

cjargo wrote:
installed a cool emergency brake combo lock that fits on the button end of the hand brake, ]

Never heard of or saw one of these before ; Where did you find it ?.....How much was it ????

thks

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569619&highlight=sedan+delivery
cjargo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Assembly required - '63 Vert Bug - Buildup. Reply with quote

grandpa pete wrote:
cjargo wrote:
installed a cool emergency brake combo lock that fits on the button end of the hand brake, ]

Never heard of or saw one of these before ; Where did you find it ?.....How much was it ????

thks

Hey there GP! The short version is: "Me neither, in a box of VW parts, and it was free."

Long version:
A friend dropped off 3 boxes full of random VW tools & parts which he cleaned out from his dads garage of 50 years, and the E-lock was one of the items. There isn't any markings or manufacturer info anywhere. Initially I thought it was a one off since his dad was a fabricator, but then a few months ago a (WTB) post popped up which had a photo of the same E-lock so they are out there. This would be a cool item for WW to knock off and sell as a theft deterrent.
GB2S
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: Assembly required - '63 Vert Bug - Buildup. Reply with quote

How did you cleanup the gas cap? Looks amazing.

Geoff
cjargo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: Assembly required - '63 Vert Bug - Buildup. Reply with quote

GB2S wrote:
How did you cleanup the gas cap? Looks amazing.

Geoff

Thanks, yeah it was worked a bit. A buffing wheel with a number 3 then 1 compound using gentle pressure. Letting the compound do the work is key otherwise the edges may get rounded. Next degreased it, sprayed adhesion promotor, then shot a few coats of gloss clear with UV protection. For a more original finish a semi gloss or a flat clear would do the trick. Without the clear it will tarnish within a week.
cjargo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 1:29 am    Post subject: Re: Assembly required - '63 Vert Bug - Buildup. Reply with quote

CARPET OVER RUBBER FLOOR MATS.
Even though the carpet is a amateur install at best, they aesthetically looked better than the rubber floor mats that I started with. The carpets will be a redo due to a thread run from one of the seat belt bolts, but they'll be fine for now. Eventually they will be replaced with a very dark blue (almost black) wool carpet, that's if I can ever find it.

SPEAKERS
All the silver was blacked out on the grills and tweeter bezels. The bezel before and after picture is below. It's a much simpler and cleaner look in the foot wells.

3 POINT SEAT BELTS.
The retractor is a bit chunky towards the back of the doors, but the safety factor out weighs the aesthetics. Seems like a good product from Retro Belts USA.

E-BRAKE COMBO LOCK.
Hey GP, this picture is for a better look. It's held on with 2 hidden allen set screws.

Since the door sills need some desperate clean-up, I'll be on the hunt this week for stainless steel door sills.

LEFT TWEETER BEZEL IS BLACKED OUT.

cjargo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 1:48 am    Post subject: Re: Assembly required - '63 Vert Bug - Buildup. Reply with quote

Tomorrow the interior should be finished out then onto the top frame with installing the weatherstripping and wood. Fortunately all the old parts are accounted for which will be used if they are worthy, otherwise I'll dip into the new parts. Currently the top frame has been powder coated then assembled to some extent, all the original chrome parts were rechromed, then a full set of nuts bolts & washers in stainless steal are available if I need them. Plus a full set of new wood top parts, but since most of the old wood is in good shape I'll just be using just a few pieces. This will be my first top assembly so I'm a little nervous. Patience is key.....

cjargo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 12:45 am    Post subject: Re: Assembly required - '63 Vert Bug - Buildup. Reply with quote

Here's the new plate... I originally requested "TYPE 151" which was taken along with every imaginable variation.
Wood is almost done, just the header left. After weatherstriping it's off to the top shop.

cjargo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:03 am    Post subject: Re: Assembly required - '63 Vert Bug - Buildup. Reply with quote

After working 62 days straight, I finally have some time off and hope to finish the build with in the next month or two.

REAR VIEW MIRROR RESTORE

Seems like restoring a convertible mirrors is one of those tough DIY restore jobs - so here is a version that I hope will work for less than 20 bucks:

The results are amateur and I hope to have something looking better tomorrow

Pitted Chrome

1) Knock off old chrome and rust with a Fine File.

2) Sanded the same areas with 300, 600, and 1000 grit.

3) Polish aluminium and metal.

cjargo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Assembly required - '63 Vert Bug - Buildup. Reply with quote

Here is the final pass on dolling up the steel and aluminium on the rear view with 1500 grit then a buffing wheel with metal polish.

Sharkhide keeps it from rusting or oxidizing.

Next restore the original mirror.

cjargo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:23 am    Post subject: Re: Assembly required - '63 Vert Bug - Buildup. Reply with quote

Finished up silvering the original mirror. Soaking the mirror in acetone and using a 0000 steel wool helped remove the old chipped silvering. Then used Mirror effect from Rustolium to reapply the silvering back, which took 5 coats, and 20 minutes till dry completely. Then used a rubber hammer to bend the mirror frame around the original mirror. In the future I will polish the glass longer. The end result is fine for now.

SILL PLATES

Both WW and Chuck's convertibles have great looking sill plates. Since the Aluminium ones from Chuck's scratch easily, 3 coats of UV protection clear were applied then color sanded and polished. Both plates will be mounted together. Yes, there will be 2 sill plates per side. The WW lines match the running boards lines, and the WW pattern matches the silver patterned inserts in the center of the seats. The install pictures will be posted tomorrow.

WW Sill Plates

Chuck's Sill Plates

How they'll be assembled together.

luftkuhlers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:04 am    Post subject: Re: Assembly required - '63 Vert Bug - Buildup. Reply with quote

great car and awesome work!!!

and thank you very much for posting the detailed worksteps..
cjargo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Assembly required - '63 Vert Bug - Buildup. Reply with quote

luftkuhlers wrote:
great car and awesome work!!!

and thank you very much for posting the detailed worksteps..

Thanks for the kind acknowledgement and you're welcome. I've learned more from the talented Samba community than I've given. So paying it forward is the least I can do.

Final Sill install.

The corners of the sills which curve up is a eye sore. So I'm in the process of fabricating a fibreglass facia to smooth out the look. You can see the facia pieces sitting on top of the seat. Still needs a bit more work.

jmarshall024
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Assembly required - '63 Vert Bug - Buildup. Reply with quote

Fantastic work on this! I have a 59 convertible. I hope I can someday do something similar to mine.

Do you have any threads showing the process you're using to restore these original parts to like new condition - i.e. tools used, rubbing compounds etc?
vwnut1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: Assembly required - '63 Vert Bug - Buildup. Reply with quote

Beautiful!!!

Time to enjoy or on to the next VW project? To some the journey is more enjoyable than the destination:)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Page 9 of 11

Jump to: