Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My Bostig RG6 build
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mpl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: My Bostig RG6 build Reply with quote

gregaz wrote:
Please pardon the necrobump, but I JUST found this thread. Better late, than never since I am 80% done with my conversion. This thread helped me with some loose ends that I have been fighting the last two days, and inspired me to really HIT it tomorrow.

Thank you, OP!!!!

Awesome, Greg! So glad this has been helpful for you. I relied on a ton of help from other Bostig'ers here on TheSamba and the Bostig Facebook group, so I'm trying my best to pay it forward a little bit. Good luck with the rest of your conversion, and please post lots of photos. Smile
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: My Bostig RG6 build Reply with quote

Just an FYI on the air box mod. There are different ways to set it up, but I like to keep the dirt from under the van out of my air box filter and pull cooler air from above the engine bay.
Here's my setup:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Of course it depends on what bits of the original snorkel system you have available. All my bits came from the stock Syncro snorkel, but most of these are available from late model Vanagons.

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
gdmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: My Bostig RG6 build Reply with quote

Just dropping some love on this forum.... I have found it immensely helpful with my Bostig conversion. I've had my kit for a few years and after some life stuff and procrastination out of the way it's moving forward!!! Tho the while your there costs and my Transaxle rebuild have really blown the budget..... onward
Boo hoo!

Last edited by gdmike on Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
JudoJeff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: My Bostig RG6 build Reply with quote

god Ike,

I’ll be on Cape Memorial Day weekend if you want to pick my brain.
1986 Vanagon GL Westfalia Camper, Bostig Sold May 10, 2021
1999 Ford GTRV Westfalia camper (30% bigger Westy layout)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gdmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: My Bostig RG6 build Reply with quote

Thanks Jeff!!!! I would welcome any advice and help from someone with the your experience.....
dasilva
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: My Bostig RG6 build Reply with quote

Finally, this wiring run is no longer needed in the Bostig installation (Bostig provides replacement wires), and can be removed.

On this old wiring run:
  • The red wire went from the post of the old starter to the post in the black distribution box; and
  • The white/red wires and the blue wire used to connect to the old alternator for the stock WBX.
One end of this wiring run was already hanging loose after having removed the stock WBX. The other end of this wiring run was connected to the black distribution box, so I removed it from there.[/quote]

Hi, Where is this removed wiring run coming from? Is is the wiring shown in my hand in the picture below?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mpl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: My Bostig RG6 build Reply with quote

dasilva wrote:
Hi, Where is this removed wiring run coming from? Is is the wiring shown in my hand in the picture below?

For the wiring run I removed, one side went to the black distribution box at the top of the driver's side of the engine bay. The other side ended at the alternator for the old waterboxer (passenger's side of the waterboxer engine) and at the starter (passenger's side of the transaxle).

The wiring run you're holding looks like it goes into the driver's side D-pillar, just behind the driver's side tail light. If I'm seeing that correctly, that's a different wiring run than the one I referenced / removed.
mpl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: My Bostig RG6 build Reply with quote

dasilva wrote:

For the wiring run I removed, one side went to the black distribution box at the top of the driver's side of the engine bay. The other side ended at the alternator for the old waterboxer (passenger's side of the waterboxer engine) and at the starter (passenger's side of the transaxle).

The wiring run you're holding looks like it goes into the driver's side D-pillar, just behind the driver's side tail light. If I'm seeing that correctly, that's a different wiring run than the one I referenced / removed.
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 7:00 am    Post subject: Re: My Bostig RG6 build Reply with quote

That looks like the AC wiring.
dasilva
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: My Bostig RG6 build Reply with quote

I think you could be correct. Might be A/C Wiring.
dasilva
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: My Bostig RG6 build Reply with quote

mpl, (or anyone else with knowledge!)

I'm looking at the spreadsheet you have posted regarding:

Removing the Waterboxer [December 22-27, 2015]
My detailed log of WBX disassembly (builds on JudoJeff’s prior notes): https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1XenQhjxh7ZkaUJ9uzc8EMpH9N68HZ-EYrajZIANdai0

Specifically, row 11 (Timestamp of 0:53s in the Bostig video). You talk about making sure to not tear the rubber boot.

The rubber boot on my van is crumbling. It doesn't seem wise to re-use as is. I contacted VanCafe, and they are recommending a whole new throttle cable (which they currently don't have in stock).

I have questions!
1) What is the purpose of this boot?
2) When replaced, do people actually replace the entire throttle cable?
3) I'm in Canada. Any recommendations on where to purchase locally? Shipping costs from the US are pricey.

Quote:
mpl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: My Bostig RG6 build Reply with quote

dasilva wrote:
mpl, (or anyone else with knowledge!)

I'm looking at the spreadsheet you have posted regarding:

Removing the Waterboxer [December 22-27, 2015]
My detailed log of WBX disassembly (builds on JudoJeff’s prior notes): https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1XenQhjxh7ZkaUJ9uzc8EMpH9N68HZ-EYrajZIANdai0

Specifically, row 11 (Timestamp of 0:53s in the Bostig video). You talk about making sure to not tear the rubber boot.

The rubber boot on my van is crumbling. It doesn't seem wise to re-use as is. I contacted VanCafe, and they are recommending a whole new throttle cable (which they currently don't have in stock).

I have questions!
1) What is the purpose of this boot?
2) When replaced, do people actually replace the entire throttle cable?
3) I'm in Canada. Any recommendations on where to purchase locally? Shipping costs from the US are pricey.

I'm assuming you have a manual transaxle, correct? My spreadsheet annotations are only relevant for manual transaxles; I probably should have clarified that. Very Happy

If you have a manual transaxle, you'll remove the entire old Vanagon throttle cable and it will be replaced by Bostig's throttle cable. So, you need not worry about the boot that's in your picture above; you'll discard this for the Bostig conversion.

I was referring to the boot covering the shifter ball on the transaxle: https://www.gowesty.com/product/manual/20694/boot-around-shift-ball-on-transaxle-

You need to take care not to tear that boot while removing the shifter linkage from the transaxle. That's a separate step from disconnecting the throttle cable.

For Canadian parts, try https://vanagonwestfaliaparts.com/

I hope that helps!
dasilva
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: My Bostig RG6 build Reply with quote

Thanks for the response.

1) My van is Automatic (not manual).

2) I was confused between:
a) AT throttle installation (https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ukz3bzsOTDE) - Bostig video that shows using the Bostig supplied throttle cable between the zetec throttle and lever on the transmission.
b) Bostig's Throttle Cable and Throttle Cable Automatic Transmission Notes. Until posting this - I didn't realize only one set of instructions applies.

3) I'm now clear that the Bostig supplied cable will run from the zetec throttle to the lever on the Westy transmission. And that the original stock throttle cable will be used between the pedal and the transmission.

4) I think the throttle cable work is better done once I get the engine and transmission in the engine bay.

5) I still don't like the state of the boot! Even though I'm an automatic, any idea if the following could be slipped on with some grease? https://vanagonwestfaliaparts.com/collections/t3-v...d-t3-86-92

Please let me know if I'm off base with any of my statements. Thanks for the help!
mpl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: My Bostig RG6 build Reply with quote

dasilva wrote:
Thanks for the response.

1) My van is Automatic (not manual).

Unfortunately I'm not well-versed in the auto-specific nuances of a Bostig install; I only have a manual.

You may want to try asking on the Bostig Facebook user group, there are a few auto owners there who may be able to help: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bostigvans/
dasilva
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: My Bostig RG6 build Reply with quote

I'm trying to install the Bostig supplied vacuum nipple. I watched Jim's video. Does this nipple need a serious wracking to get as deep as Jim shows? I'm hitting the nipple hard enough to tear a whole in the cloth that I have over the nipple.

I feel like I got the 'old' assembly out.

Attached is a picture of
1) what I removed
2) what remains

If anyone has insights I'm all ears. Thanks.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

Jump to: