Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Lifted Eurovan with 16x7" rims
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ovsa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Lifted Eurovan with 16x7" rims Reply with quote

sorry i hadn't seen your reply until just now.

i am going from VW stock 15" steel to 16" Audi aluminium.

thanks
tds3pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: Lifted Eurovan with 16x7" rims Reply with quote

ovsa wrote:
sorry i hadn't seen your reply until just now.

i am going from VW stock 15" steel to 16" Audi aluminium.

thanks

I made the same switch and did not need longer lug bolts, centering rings or spacers. That's what's nice about an Audi wheel switch as opposed to many others.
'79 Westy...Oscar
'95 Eurovan Camper/5 spd...Marsha Mellow
ovsa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Lifted Eurovan with 16x7" rims Reply with quote

hi,

going to tackle the lift this weekend. I have all the gear:, 16" rims, tires, spacers, bilstiens and a home made 27mm x 6" deep socket.

Haven't crawl under the front yet to look at the torsion bar adjustments but before i do i was wondering:

I am tightening (cw or ccw? ) the 27mm nuts to raise the front equal to the back, right ? Do i use a level on the floor of the van on both axis. (front to back& side to side)? How does the string line/ tape measure deal work. I assume i need a nice level surface.

i have heard changing the torsion might put the cv's out of whack. How do i know if that has happened?

I am also going to replace tie rod ends. Should I go for a pro alignment after all that is done.

One more: what's your suggestion on the lift: 0.75 or 1.5"?. i made four .75 spacers so i can go either way.

Thanks alot
Xtremjeepn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: Lifted Eurovan with 16x7" rims Reply with quote

ovsa wrote:
hi,

going to tackle the lift this weekend. I have all the gear:, 16" rims, tires, spacers, bilstiens and a home made 27mm x 6" deep socket.

Haven't crawl under the front yet to look at the torsion bar adjustments but before i do i was wondering:

Crawling under the middle of the van will get you better results Wink (The torsion bar adjusters are located behind the front row of seats)

ovsa wrote:
I am tightening (cw or ccw? ) the 27mm nuts to raise the front equal to the back, right ? Do i use a level on the floor of the van on both axis. (front to back& side to side)? How does the string line/ tape measure deal work. I assume i need a nice level surface.

Tightening raises the van.

I inflate all the tires to max to make sure there is no variations in them when sitting on level ground. Then just measure the fender lip, at the center of the wheel, at each corner. This will give you a pretty good idea what each corner is doing.

ovsa wrote:
i have heard changing the torsion might put the cv's out of whack. How do i know if that has happened?

The CVs can wear into a pattern over time. The lift simply changes the operating angle of the CVs and *can* expose a worn CV. They will make noise, click, grind, etc after trying to wear into a new grove.

The lifts seem to be fully within the operating range of the CVs. The issue is more of just exposing worn parts.

ovsa wrote:

I am also going to replace tie rod ends. Should I go for a pro alignment after all that is done.

That really depends on how good the alignment was to begin with. If your tires are wearing perfectly flat and you have no pulling/wandering or other handling issues then you can get way with measuring the new tie rod ends to be exactly the same length as the old ones and you will restore your existing alignment.

ovsa wrote:
One more: what's your suggestion on the lift: 0.75 or 1.5"?. i made four .75 spacers so i can go either way.

Thanks alot

GO BIG OR GO HOME Wink

....just kidding Razz Its entirely up to you. I can say that I may stop making the .75" spacers because everyone just seems to order two sets to get 1.5". Wink
ovsa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: Lifted Eurovan with 16x7" rims Reply with quote

thanks, great help.

just wondering; some people recommend adding more spacer on the driver's side to compensate for the extra weight of the camping gear in the EVC. Do you think using .75" on the passenger side and 1.5" on the other is a good idea or is it better to make up the difference using the torsion bar adjustments?

trying to stay away from doing this twice.

thanks again
Xtremjeepn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Lifted Eurovan with 16x7" rims Reply with quote

ovsa wrote:
thanks, great help.

just wondering; some people recommend adding more spacer on the driver's side to compensate for the extra weight of the camping gear in the EVC. Do you think using .75" on the passenger side and 1.5" on the other is a good idea or is it better to make up the difference using the torsion bar adjustments?

trying to stay away from doing this twice.

thanks again

First you should see if your van leans.

Second, you should see if the torsion bars are adjusted equally.

Sometimes springs sag over time. So I'd swap the rear springs left to right IF you have a lean problem first.
ovsa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Lifted Eurovan with 16x7" rims Reply with quote

good idea, thanks
ovsa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Lifted Eurovan with 16x7" rims Reply with quote

I started putting the audi wheels ET 42 on the vehicle and i have a question.

everything lines up good but i notice the engagement from the hub to the rim is not that deep.

the rim sits flat to the wheel hub and the studs engage all the way but not sure if the hub collar (?) goes deep enough into the rims.

i measured and it is just under .500 of an inch. there is still .720 free space in the center bore. total depth of the cnter bore is 1.200

not sure if this is what it is suppose to look like so wanted to be sure before putting it on the road.

here is a photo so you have an idea of what i'm trying to explain

thanks again
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
tds3pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: Lifted Eurovan with 16x7" rims Reply with quote

ovsa wrote:
I started putting the audi wheels ET 42 on the vehicle and i have a question.

everything lines up good but i notice the engagement from the hub to the rim is not that deep.

the rim sits flat to the wheel hub and the studs engage all the way but not sure if the hub collar (?) goes deep enough into the rims.

i measured and it is just under .500 of an inch. there is still .720 free space in the center bore. total depth of the cnter bore is 1.200

not sure if this is what it is suppose to look like so wanted to be sure before putting it on the road.

here is a photo so you have an idea of what i'm trying to explain

thanks again

That's normal. You are good to go.
'79 Westy...Oscar
ovsa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: Lifted Eurovan with 16x7" rims Reply with quote

Great, thanks Very Happy
jjvincent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Lifted Eurovan with 16x7" rims Reply with quote

Even to make you feel better, you don't even need a centering ring. It's there just to make it easier to mount your wheels.
ovsa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Lifted Eurovan with 16x7" rims Reply with quote

o. k. job complete. All i have to do right now is tweek the torsion bar to get it level and put on bigger tires (225/70) . I bought the rims with car tires on them

now i'm wondering if i didnt go too high. I have about 19 inches from wheel well lip to center of rear wheel. Used 1.5" spacers on each side. My concern is road stability.

What do you think?

Like the ground clearance though.

ovsa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Lifted Eurovan with 16x7" rims Reply with quote

having a bit of a problem:

After installing the Bilstiens, 1.5" spacers on each side and the 16" rims i measure 18.75" from the fender lip to the center of the rear wheels.

I pretty much tightened the T-bar nuts as high as they'll go (i think, because i couldn't move them anymore with a 18" breaker bar.)I ended up with 16.5" on the drivers side and 17" on the passenger side.

I measured the amount of free threads on the adjusting stud: I get 3.25" on the drivers side and 3.0" on the passenger.

Either i don't have enough strength to keep turning those nuts or i am as high as i can go. It could be that the threads are gunked up too.

Not sure what i should to, take out 0.75 of spacer, get a four foot snipe and pull like mad or just let it be?.

any suggestions?

thanks
rcowan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Lifted Eurovan with 16x7" rims Reply with quote

You aren't out of adjustment. I'm betting that the threads are all gunked up. Possibly lowering it a couple turns, adding (more?) oil, and trying again will help. If I remember right, they are threaded to within about a .25" of the body..... Corrosion can be a problem though. I have removed them from the body and cleaned them on the real bad examples. Hopefully you aren't to that point!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ovsa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Lifted Eurovan with 16x7" rims Reply with quote

o.k thanks , i'll try that on the next go around.

how hard is it to take them right out for cleaning?
Itsamoto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Lifted Eurovan with 16x7" rims Reply with quote

ovsa wrote:
how hard is it to take them right out for cleaning?

I looked into this as I wanted to POR15 (or equivalent) the suspension to protect it -- and I'm pretty sure you have to drop the subframe to get them out.

I don't think its worth it - to pull them out.
rcowan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Lifted Eurovan with 16x7" rims Reply with quote

The threaded rods come out but simply turning them 90 degrees.

Obviously, you have to jack up the van and support it with jack stands. Then the nut that you are adjusting up to lift the van needs to be removed. Once that nut is removed, just turn the treaded rod 90 degrees and it drops out of the body. At least that's how my '99 is.......
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Itsamoto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Lifted Eurovan with 16x7" rims Reply with quote

rcowan wrote:

Obviously, you have to jack up the van and support it with jack stands. Then the nut that you are adjusting up to lift the van needs to be removed. Once that nut is removed, just turn the treaded rod 90 degrees and it drops out of the body. At least that's how my '99 is.......

LOL -- obviously I didn't look carefully enough! Embarassed

Don't listen to me because I like to do it the hard way. Laughing
jjvincent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Lifted Eurovan with 16x7" rims Reply with quote

If you are wanting to make it hard, do it the right way.

Don't take out the T-Bolt that way. Best way to get a 4" hole saw, cut out the whole floor and frame support. The when you want to reinstall, weld back in the metal you cut out.

I was going to suggest flipping the van over and using a plasma cutter to cut out big sections of the van but I'm afraid you'd catch the carpet on fire. I'm a safety first kind of guy.

Need any more ideas, I offer them for free.
tds3pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Lifted Eurovan with 16x7" rims Reply with quote

rcowan wrote:

Just the same on the '95
'79 Westy...Oscar
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: