Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

frame horn rust on vw trike
Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
The13bats
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:02 pm    Post subject: frame horn rust on vw trike Reply with quote

I have been a vw person about 40 years, kit cars, buggies, trikes. But im not a cat who thinks he knows it all,

So im looking for opinions,

Several years ago i swap a tired PT looser for a vw trike that did need attention ive had it about 5 years ( my second vw trike )

whoever built it some is done very nicely some crap hack job perhaps two builders,

The frame horns had rust on the bottoms, some holes, and the po took angle iron capped it and welded it in, not being satified they added that rear cage the one that bolts to the frame horn ends and shock towers and then they added extra braces, out closer to the engine bolts to the frame horn, its solid but not the most beautiful under there no issues 5 years later,
Keep in mind its a trike, less weight,

My OCD always got in a tizzy when i would be doing something and see that angle iron capping the horn bottoms, its irs the angle iron is about 8 or 10 inches from where it was cut out of the donor vw car.

My plan was grind, cut and cuss the angle iron out of there, use tube or donor frame horns make nice looking repairs,
But my issue is i dont want to do that work for what now seems to me would serve only as cosmetic reasons,

So i guess im asking is that angle iron an okay albeit ugly to me repair for rust on frame horn bottom with the extra supports just making it actually better than stock?

Thanks
cheers
b
vaughn bros.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: frame horn rust on vw trike Reply with quote

This is a trans raise instead of rust repair but it shows patchwork pieces.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: