Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Buggy Build Thread
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
LiveStoked
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 1:53 pm    Post subject: Buggy Build Thread Reply with quote

I'm starting this build thread to keep myself motivated, and to hopefully have somebody yell at me if they see something out of place Very Happy
LiveStoked
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Buggy Build Thread Reply with quote

The day I brought it home. I think it may of been in a wreck at one point. The chassis was complete trash. I bought a New Berrien chassis from a guy locally. I got super lucky finding the one I did. I bought a Beetle from another person with a clean title, and good running motor. I pulled the motor, transaxle, and a few other parts, then kicked the rest to the curb.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

LiveStoked
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Buggy Build Thread Reply with quote

If anybody has any idea what type of buggy this is, I would really love to know. After some research I am thinking it might be a Clodhopper?
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Buggy Build Thread Reply with quote

Are the parts gone, I may need a rear torsion housing? Thanx,chuck
Buggy Brian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Buggy Build Thread Reply with quote

Looking good so far! Are you going to run the Berrien fiberglass floor as well? If so, there are a couple of spots you might want to reinforce, such as the ebrake mount (if you plan on running one), and the shifter area. vwbowtieman has a thread on how he built his Manx 2 with a Berrien frame, and did just that.
-(Scarlett) Manx Resorter #12 (R0012B931S) on 1969 chassis.
-Original Home built buggy that started all. I learned to drive in it back in 1985.
Manx Club Member # 4436

Check out my Loretta here: http://www.manxclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=65&t=3365Manx

Scarlett is getting a Makeover! http://manxclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=82&t=3745&p=24983#p24983
LiveStoked
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Buggy Build Thread Reply with quote

cbeck wrote:
Are the parts gone, I may need a rear torsion housing? Thanx,chuck

Ahhhh crap, I just got rid of everything except what I needed yesterday. I'm sorry!
LiveStoked
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Buggy Build Thread Reply with quote

Buggy Brian wrote:
Looking good so far! Are you going to run the Berrien fiberglass floor as well? If so, there are a couple of spots you might want to reinforce, such as the ebrake mount (if you plan on running one), and the shifter area. vwbowtieman has a thread on how he built his Manx 2 with a Berrien frame, and did just that.

I'm really really glad you mentioned that. I was wondering how strong those were going to be with it just being fiberglass supporting it. I'll go check that out and make some supports. Thanks for the tip!
Tom_Kathleen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Buggy Build Thread Reply with quote

The front end, hood, & basic body look like a Clodhopper, but the rear end doesn't. The rear would have a '62 - '67 Bug taillight lense (only) sitting sideways on a raised "bump". Was the interior of the tub textured? Nice chassis, I hope the body comes out nice enough. Tom
Manxter #16, 1968 Meyers Manx & Kick-Out SS #16 (WIP)
Manx Club & CVA
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jsturtlebuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Buggy Build Thread Reply with quote

Fibercraft in Reno, NV also had a body that was similar. FiberFab started in the San Francisco bay area.
I sure there was others that copy the design. Kellison also did the rough surface on the inside on some of their bodies too.
Motion Tire Motorsports
Having fun with Dune Buggies since 1970
Into Volkswagens since 1960
LiveStoked
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Buggy Build Thread Reply with quote

Tom_Kathleen wrote:
The front end, hood, & basic body look like a Clodhopper, but the rear end doesn't. The rear would have a '62 - '67 Bug taillight lense (only) sitting sideways on a raised "bump". Was the interior of the tub textured? Nice chassis, I hope the body comes out nice enough. Tom

The inside is textured, yep! I think the original paint looks to be black with metal flake.
LiveStoked
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: Buggy Build Thread Reply with quote

Installed new ball joints. Put new brakes in. New shocks. Ran all the steering components and rebuilt the steering box. The steering box feels so smooth now! Had my girlfriend go around and start tightening up everything to spec. If anything looks out of place to you please jump in and tell me I'm doing it wrong!

LiveStoked
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: Buggy Build Thread Reply with quote

Started assessing the amount of body work needed for this thing. I bought some fiberglass to repair the hood, and some filler to start filling the holes that were all around this thing. Currently trying to decide if I want high back or low back seats. I really cannot decide.

LiveStoked
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Buggy Build Thread Reply with quote

I flipped the hood over today to see the underside and figure out how bad the damage was. Turns out somebody tried to fix it previously, and I have no idea how long ago. The fiberglass patch job basically peeled off with little to no effort, also exposing a few cracks. It's going to take quite a bit of work, but I think I can get it straight.

Before

After

Here's the picture of the pile of crap that I pulled off of the old fiberglass repair job.

Here's how the hole looks now.
Buggy Brian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Buggy Build Thread Reply with quote

Looks as though whoever tried to repair it didn't prep before the glass work. Should have taken it down to raw glass before putting in the glass patches. I have NO experience with glass work, but I do read quite a bit about it.
-Original Home built buggy that started all. I learned to drive in it back in 1985.
Manx Club Member # 4436

Check out my Loretta here: http://www.manxclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=65&t=3365Manx

Scarlett is getting a Makeover! http://manxclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=82&t=3745&p=24983#p24983
Buggy Brian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Buggy Build Thread Reply with quote

If you need help on glass work, take a look at the build thread and the guy that did it. LOTS of great tips and tricks on it.
Manx Club Member # 4436

Buggy Brian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Buggy Build Thread Reply with quote

LiveStoked wrote:
Installed new ball joints. Put new brakes in. New shocks. Ran all the steering components and rebuilt the steering box. The steering box feels so smooth now! Had my girlfriend go around and start tightening up everything to spec. If anything looks out of place to you please jump in and tell me I'm doing it wrong!

Looks great so far! Love the chassis! Looks like you prepped the other components well before painting them!
Manx Club Member # 4436

LiveStoked
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Buggy Build Thread Reply with quote

Took advantage of this awesome weather and did some fiberglass and bondo work. I removed all of the old fiberglass patches on the bottom side of the hood and sanded it to the bare fiberglass. I put a pretty big sheet on the underside and covered it with the resin. It is rock solid now. There was a lot of bondo on the top side of the hood, and I sanded all of that down as well. I put a coat of primer on it tonight to see any blemishes, and as you can tell, it is going to need some bondo work to smooth it out, but with a little bit of time it will look as good as new. Hopefully tomorrow I will be able to lay the large amount of bondo and smooth that out!

The body just had some small holes here and there, but I filled all of those and sanded it down. Added a coat of primer to expose any imperfections, and tomorrow I will sand the rest. It's almost ready for paint!

Deh Shark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: Buggy Build Thread Reply with quote

Great work starting off with a tube chassis. Keep @ it..

55 3 fold Ragtop
Manx Dune buggy 2387cc
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
LiveStoked
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Buggy Build Thread Reply with quote

Worked a little more last night on routing cables and what not. I need a bracket for the emergency brake cable and I am at a stand still until that bracket arrives. I ordered brake lines last night, along with everything else to make this thing a roller.

I moved the hood into the "body shop" to apply bondo. The body work is done on the actual body and it is prepped for paint, so I just need to get this thing nice and smooth so I can send it off for paint. Once I'm off work tonight I will be in my kitchen applying some bondo. My house should smell nice and fresh!

hillmotorsports
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Buggy Build Thread Reply with quote

You MUST be single, or else you have an EXTREMELY understanding better half... I feel fortunate but am not thinking bondo or glass work IN the house would go over well.

(With way more projects than spare time!)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: