Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Propex Heater Install Under Water Tank
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BayCreamPuff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:53 am    Post subject: Propex Heater Install Under Water Tank Reply with quote

After much Samba searching and measurement taking I’ve decided to mount my Propex heater in the space below the water tank in my '79 Campmobile. I'm lucky to have a LOT of help from my dad the carpenter for this project.

I had a few goals:

- Lose as little precious storage space as possible
- Gas line should be easy to access for annual inspections
- Do as little (noticeable) damage to the bus as possible
- The gas, intake and combustion lines under the bus should be up as tight to the floor of the bus as possible.

Here it is in place. To make our work easier we needed to take out the shelf that the water tank sits on. Unfortunately it's the only shelf that uses tongue and groove, so we had to use an oscillating multi-tool to cut it out. We'll need to add supports when we put it back in.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Air for recirculating will come into the space through the existing vent under the fridge. To do this we drilled a hole at the back of the cabinet into the small space under the fridge. We shoved a small length of the supplied corrugated tubing into the hole and routed it toward the opening below the fridge.

Wait, what about the water pump and drain?

In order for the the Propex to be seated properly with the gas line easily accessible it required us to move the pump and drain into the enclosure next door in the space under the sink. This allows the Propex intake and exhaust lines to clear the frame below and leaves the gas line easily accessible at the front of the cabinet.

More to come...

Earl Grey
'87 GoWesty 2.2 Westfalia

Marsha Mellow
'00 Eurovan VR6 Full Camper
philbur
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Propex Heater Install Under Water Tank Reply with quote

Great idea! I'm doing the same (adding gas heat), but thought of getting the external unit and mounting under the bus. What water tank are you using? I was thinking of finding a different shape one to save space etc.
BayCreamPuff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Propex Heater Install Under Water Tank Reply with quote

We finished the install this morning and I couldn't be happier with the location. It was a lot of work, but totally worth it.

We're using the original 7 gallon water tank.

Elbow fittings rerouting the pump and drain lines

New location for the pump and drain under the sink

Drain line going through its new hole

Hot air outlet

Exhaust and combustion intake

Thermostat goes above the coat closet

Earl Grey

Marsha Mellow
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:46 am    Post subject: Re: Propex Heater Install Under Water Tank Reply with quote

Slick. I will be stealing some of your ideas. Where did you source the corrugated stainless for the exhaust?
BayCreamPuff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: Propex Heater Install Under Water Tank Reply with quote

Quote:
Where did you source the corrugated stainless for the exhaust?

The corrugated stainless came in the Propex kit. I picked mine up from GoWesty, but it should come in any kit you find.

I used a pair of 2" air hose connecting pipes I had lying around to line the 2" holes for the exhaust and combustion lines. The exhaust gets pretty hot, so the connecting pipes are lined with red fire barrier calk.

These are a perfect fit (with a little help from a rubber mallet): http://www.justkampers.com/113-255-165-connecting-...-1979.html

Earl Grey

Marsha Mellow
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Propex Heater Install Under Water Tank Reply with quote

Please come back and give us feedback on how well the heater works for you. The one I installed seemed to fog up the interior big time.
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: Propex Heater Install Under Water Tank Reply with quote

Yes...better yet, come down to the Kelley Park meet in April, so I can hear it in action Very Happy You're only 40 minutes away.

After doing more homework, I now see that the Espar gasoline unit is waaaay more expensive than I realized, and so the Propex is looking more appealing to me now.
chabanais
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: Propex Heater Install Under Water Tank Reply with quote

aeromech wrote:
Please come back and give us feedback on how well the heater works for you. The one I installed seemed to fog up the interior big time.

Is that because it is propane and there is humidity in the heat?
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: Propex Heater Install Under Water Tank Reply with quote

chabanais wrote:
aeromech wrote:

Is that because it is propane and there is humidity in the heat?

That was my guess
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Propex Heater Install Under Water Tank Reply with quote

aeromech wrote:

the heat is passed thru an exchanger in most units with the exhaust gases being dumped outdoors. Humidity in the bus is usually from the occupants or wet clothes drying etc.
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Propex Heater Install Under Water Tank Reply with quote

BayCreamPuff: have you had a chance to try your new heat in this sloppy weather we've been having? Curious to hear your thoughts.

I've been reading over in the Vanagon forums, there are quite a few people running Propexes over there.
Sprink1es
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Propex Heater Install Under Water Tank Reply with quote

Very cool!

I have to say though, if I did copy you, I'd probably mount the unit in the middle cabinet (on the floor under the sink), route the hot air outlet hose up the drain, then over the water tank, so I could have the final vent higher up above the bed.

Spot is fine to pre-heat the bus, but I feel like if I ever needed it while sleeping I'd rather not have the vent under the z-bed?

Either way, awesome install for a permanent solution. I'm still stuck with my Mr Heater big buddy to pre-heat before I go to bed lol
BayCreamPuff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Propex Heater Install Under Water Tank Reply with quote

Busstom wrote:
BayCreamPuff: have you had a chance to try your new heat in this sloppy weather we've been having?

Haven't had the chance yet. I've had family in town. We're going to be doing a few long trips in early February. Will report back.

Earl Grey

Marsha Mellow
BayCreamPuff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Propex Heater Install Under Water Tank Reply with quote

Sprink1es wrote:
Spot is fine to pre-heat the bus, but I feel like if I ever needed it while sleeping I'd rather not have the vent under the z-bed?

I'm banking on the fact that heat rises. Do you usually sleep upstairs or downstairs? I wonder how well the heat will work with the top popped.

Earl Grey

Marsha Mellow
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 6:04 am    Post subject: Re: Propex Heater Install Under Water Tank Reply with quote

I like it, but I too wondered about the outlet placement.

The other night, my boys wanted to "camp" in the bus. The low was about zero overnight!

So I took my large forced air propane heater out and preheated the bus and got the mattress and stuff warmed up, then switched to a large electric space heater and told them to take all their blankets. They said that they stayed pretty warm overnight. I guess that's not too related other than the part about preheating the bus...!

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
ROCKOROD71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: Propex Heater Install Under Water Tank Reply with quote

Saving up for a propex myself? Do you run it off of the stock propane tank under the sliding door?

30 years from now, the next guy may not want your girlfriend, but he may want your classic car, depending on how nice you were to it.

asiab3 wrote:

Careful guys, a petulant child can grow up to be president these days.

**winter drivers: no survivors!**rust warrior**#keepbodyshopsbusy**
BayCreamPuff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: Propex Heater Install Under Water Tank Reply with quote

ROCKOROD71 wrote:
Do you run it off of the stock propane tank under the sliding door?

Yep. You'll need to buy the 1/4" copper tubing and a couple connectors to "T" in the new line.

Here are a couple photos from my install. The new copper line follows the same path as the existing propane line.

Earl Grey

Marsha Mellow
BayCreamPuff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Propex Heater Install Under Water Tank Reply with quote

I ran the heat a bit tonight and IT IS HOT. The bus got nice and toasty in about 5 minutes. It's such a small space to heat that it doesn't really seem to matter where the hot air outlet is. In fact the hot air blows so hard that I wouldn't want it pointing anywhere near me while sleeping.

Earl Grey

Marsha Mellow
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: Propex Heater Install Under Water Tank Reply with quote

BayCreamPuff wrote:
I ran the heat a bit tonight and IT IS HOT. The bus got nice and toasty in about 5 minutes. It's such a small space to heat that it doesn't really seem to matter where the hot air outlet is. In fact the hot air blows so hard that I wouldn't want it pointing anywhere near me while sleeping.

It is a good idea to install an RV carbon monoxide sensor and keep a window open for proper ventilation. Consult the owners manual or contact the Mnf. for the ventilation specifications.
You don't want to wake up dead.
Good luck
Tcash
ROCKOROD71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: Propex Heater Install Under Water Tank Reply with quote

Thank you for responding. I had been reading some conflicting threads about using the stock tank and there not being enough pressure or something. I plan on putting mine under the back seat/z bed and running the hot air to the already existing ducts that run to under the bed and below the fridge (I have a 77), then I will run a new duct running all the heat from the heater boxes up front to the defrost/foot vents. My new-to-me OG heater boxes kick out decent heat but a lot of it diverts to the rear vents and is lost along the way.
\Been driving the bus all winter thus far and the heat is leaving much to be desired. Laughing

30 years from now, the next guy may not want your girlfriend, but he may want your classic car, depending on how nice you were to it.

asiab3 wrote:

Careful guys, a petulant child can grow up to be president these days.

**winter drivers: no survivors!**rust warrior**#keepbodyshopsbusy**
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: