Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Possessed Radiator Fan
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
spudnickel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:14 pm    Post subject: Possessed Radiator Fan Reply with quote

My Rad fan was kicking on when the water was still to cold or when i would hit little bumps in the road. since it was -15c i pulled the fuse out hoping that would stop it all together. it is still possessed. it still kicks on whenever it wants. any help on where i might start with diagnosing would be great. thanks
it is a stock 1988 westy.
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Possessed Radiator Fan Reply with quote

I think that fan is controlled entirely by the three-prong coolant thermocouple that is at near center, driver's side of the front of your radiator. If it is getting defective, it might be allowing electrical flow to the fan.

Curious... when the fan does come on, is it always just the low speed, or does it fluctuate between high and low speeds?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:04 am    Post subject: Re: Possessed Radiator Fan Reply with quote

It sounds to me as if the wiring is damaged.
Mice chew on it, damage happens and most heinous ..... It can overheat and burn/melt making intermittent contact in the wiring harness.

Is/was you van Air Conditioned?
If so, there is a different fan and different wiring with a resistor behind the Left headlight.

The low temp operation could be the radiator switch...... The coming on when being jarred screams wiring issues.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
spudnickel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: Possessed Radiator Fan Reply with quote

Wasted youth wrote:
I think that fan is controlled entirely by the three-prong coolant thermocouple that is at near center, driver's side of the front of your radiator. If it is getting defective, it might be allowing electrical flow to the fan.

Curious... when the fan does come on, is it always just the low speed, or does it fluctuate between high and low speeds?

It still does the 2 speeds, mostly the high speed. The van doesn't have a/c, I think I will start following the wires and look for a bad section and if I can't find anything I will replace the switch.

Thanks
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: Possessed Radiator Fan Reply with quote

You could start by pulling the connector off the thermoswitch on the left radiator tank. If the problem goes away then the switch would be suspect. I would not think a wiring problem would cause the fan to both come on and to jump between the low and high speeds, but stranger things have happened.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: