Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

VW special tool VAG 1315A/2 for Idle/Mixture adjustment
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 1:57 pm    Post subject: VW special tool VAG 1315A/2 for Idle/Mixture adjustment Reply with quote

The 2.1 instructions for setting idle and mixture ask that you use a special tool.....
VAG 1315A/2
An adapter plug for the idle control solenoid.

I imagine that there are "work arounds" as with many tools but I figured "Why Not" ? And get the right tool for the job. (Practice what I preach and all)

I found it in several places but unbelievably Snap On had the best pricing!

$28.00 plus shipping.
https://vw.snapon.com/specialtoolsdetail.aspx?itemid=9740013

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Now my question is...... I've ordered it..... I'm OK with that but others prefer the "work around" I'm sure.

So I ask....... What Is the work around?

I did find this thread that mentions using a filed down nail...... But no details.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=516244

Anyone have the details on how everyone else can save $28 ???

And...... What is special about VW Tool 1473, the adapter to the ignition coil ?

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
blackglasspirate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: VW special tool VAG 1315A/2 for Idle/Mixture adjustment Reply with quote

I tried the filed down nail approach when troubleshooting my idle problems but it didn't work for me :/

I'm interested to know what other people have done. Either way, at $28 it may be worth my while to get the real deal.
hdenter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: VW special tool VAG 1315A/2 for Idle/Mixture adjustment Reply with quote

Those are just the pig tails in that link. You still need the tool...
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: VW special tool VAG 1315A/2 for Idle/Mixture adjustment Reply with quote

hdenter wrote:

The tool specified is US 1119 ..... a common multi-meter, I've got about six of them, the probes go into the pigtails. Measuring milliamps.

"Tool US1119 Multi-meter (digital) "

Tool VW 1367 is unobtainium..... You can substitute with a tach and a timing light.

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert

Last edited by djkeev on Tue Jan 12, 2016 5:11 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: VW special tool VAG 1315A/2 for Idle/Mixture adjustment Reply with quote

Instructions for adjustments.......

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: VW special tool VAG 1315A/2 for Idle/Mixture adjustment Reply with quote

We're talking about measuring current draw
of the ISV?

I used a "complex system of cables and pulleys" Wink (jumper wires, various wire terminals) to shunt in my VOM. Saw no discernable readings with VOM set to DC mA. A much more knowledgable person suggested setting VOM to AC current draw. This seemed to work. (display current draw)

Was I on the wrong track?

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
eeebee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: VW special tool VAG 1315A/2 for Idle/Mixture adjustment Reply with quote

Not the prettiest thing but since you asked

1987 Vanagon Wolfsburg Special Edition
GoWesty 2.3

Democracy is the recurrent suspicion that more than half of the people are right more than half of the time.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: VW special tool VAG 1315A/2 for Idle/Mixture adjustment Reply with quote

Last night UPS brought me a present!

One VAG 1315A/2.....

The measurement leads measure just the outside two terminals.

Rainy / Cold Wet day........ Haven't yet played with it. Crying or Very sad

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 1:17 am    Post subject: Re: VW special tool VAG 1315A/2 for Idle/Mixture adjustment Reply with quote

I'm pretty stoked for this. Keep this thread alive, as I would like to do this also.
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: VW special tool VAG 1315A/2 for Idle/Mixture adjustment Reply with quote

I inquired about this harness with my local Snappy Guy.
A week later he gave me one.
Looking forward to seeing it in action.

I honestly dont even know what it is for... Laughing
jberger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: VW special tool VAG 1315A/2 for Idle/Mixture adjustment Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
Last night UPS brought me a present!

One VAG 1315A/2.....

The measurement leads measure just the outside two terminals.

Rainy / Cold Wet day........ Haven't yet played with it. Crying or Very sad

Dave

I would assume the measurement leads are to and from one of the outside leads only.. One conductor is the ground, the other is a hot. You put your multi meter (on miliamp DC setting) in series with the hot conductor and measure the amp draw while in operation. It looks like the leads are threaded to fit common meter tips? Pretty slick
blackglasspirate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: VW special tool VAG 1315A/2 for Idle/Mixture adjustment Reply with quote

Ever get to try that bad boy out? I went to go buy one today but it looks like they are sold out of 1315A/2 and only have 1315A/1. Actually, the link you posted now links to the A/1 version.
T3 Pilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: VW special tool VAG 1315A/2 for Idle/Mixture adjustment Reply with quote

I got tired of working with alligator clips and jumper wires and rolled my own today to help with the setup of a rebuilt 2.1
Harvested the connector and pigtail off of a parts Van.
The Yellow wire is the Positive lead.

The most important part in every vehicle is the nut behind the wheel......
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: VW special tool VAG 1315A/2 for Idle/Mixture adjustment Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:

So I ask....... What Is the work around?

I did find this thread that mentions using a filed down nail...... But no details.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=516244

Anyone have the details on how everyone else can save $28 ???

Dave

sure! i'll qualify this is on my '87 with the 2.1... there is NOTHING about that harness that can't be replicated with a wire cutter and 2 terminals. notice first the plug... it has TWO leads with the middle blank. simple 12 volts that is pulsed to achieve a certain dwell on-time which opens the air valve an amount

so to measure the current, just cut one of the wires, doesn't matter which, and put the leads of your mA meter in between the wires and measure the current. it's pulsing DC or 'square wave AC' so your meter might prefer to be in AC mA mode.

mind you, i've removed the valve and hoses for a simpler life. works fine for me, YMMV as they say on the internets.

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: VW special tool VAG 1315A/2 for Idle/Mixture adjustment Reply with quote

I believe the idea of the tool was to nut cut the factory harness and introduce a future point of failure. But yes your observation is accurate.
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: VW special tool VAG 1315A/2 for Idle/Mixture adjustment Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:
I believe the idea of the tool was to nut cut the factory harness and introduce a future point of failure. But yes your observation is accurate.

a weather resistant M-F spade connection in a circuit that actually carries some current (vs a sensor circuit) is hardly a significant future point of failure given the overall foibles of our vans!

but, right, it is not the correct factory way and if this was a new vehicle and came back to me after dealer service with a bodge like this i'd be ticked off. i've got lots of bodges i rather like on my van now <grin>

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
otiswesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:03 pm    Post subject: Re: VW special tool VAG 1315A/2 for Idle/Mixture adjustment Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
hdenter wrote:

The tool specified is US 1119 ..... a common multi-meter, I've got about six of them, the probes go into the pigtails. Measuring milliamps.

"Tool US1119 Multi-meter (digital) "

Tool VW 1367 is unobtainium..... You can substitute with a tach and a timing light.

Dave

I found the VAG1367 tool on eBay in Germany a couple of years ago. Never really have gotten it figured out aside from picking up RPMs. The inductive pick up cable was still available new at the time as well.

Just a regular guy
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:28 pm    Post subject: Re: VW special tool VAG 1315A/2 for Idle/Mixture adjustment Reply with quote

otiswesty wrote:

I found the VAG1367 tool on eBay in Germany a couple of years ago. Never really have gotten it figured out aside from picking up RPMs.

Link

2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vantropy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2022 11:31 pm    Post subject: Re: VW special tool VAG 1315A/2 for Idle/Mixture adjustment Reply with quote

I just wanted to add one more variation on the VAG 1315 A/2 for all those who don't have access to a parts van for that sweet plug: you can just use spade connectors to make up a testing harness. I had a box set of different size spade connectors. Female spades are good for multimeter probes to slide into, the smallest size male spades into the plug and the medium size fit the contacts inside the idle control valve plug. Obviously, it will fit or it doesn't:

Also, while we're here, if you're even bothering to look up this tool, there's a good chance you're going to need the next thing in the Digifant manual, the elusive US 1115 LED tester (VW later switched to a VAG 1527B, but those are hard to find too). I don't know why you can't just use a continuity test on your multimeter, but VW knows about those (the legendary "US 1119"), but still specs a US 1115. So here's how to make your own with a 1/4 watt, 330 ohm resistor, and LED, wire, and alligator clips:

This is what mine looked like:

bridgetroll13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2022 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: VW special tool VAG 1315A/2 for Idle/Mixture adjustment Reply with quote

For those of you wanting to create your own or looking for other plugs and sockets I ran across this guy...

https://www.prancingmoose.com/blackvinyl.html#EFIplugs

...who also makes an adjustable voltage regulator that fits our alternators as well. He has the connector for the 2.1 dizzy too.

Erik

'91 tin top
'85 tin top
'82 diesel Westy AAP/AAP 5 spd
'74 SB
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: