Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Reaching out to the brothers for a rare part
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reaching out to the brothers for a rare part Reply with quote

Guys,
I just got through putting fuel injection back onto this 1979 California bus and just as the owner comes down from Los Angeles to pick it up the PCV breaks at the nipple.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I had already done two repairs to this, the diaphragm and the outer part of the nipple which has broken off at the base. The part number is 022 115 303 A. I'm really stumped trying to locate one. Please let me know if you can help point me in the right direction. I can use the diaphragm I have if need be. TIA.
Later-Gary

It should look like this

Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
borninabus
Samba R&D Dept.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Reaching out to the brothers for a rare part Reply with quote

pretty sure i have one, or two.
have to check @ the shop tomorrow.
know anyone going to BBB this weekend?
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Reaching out to the brothers for a rare part Reply with quote

how about a 034 129 101B with some modifications. fits most watercooled toilets.

you would need to make a flange, or weld the stove pipe up and use a
028 103 500, Breather Hose Grommet to fit the above valve.

nipples are 3/4 both ends for what its worth

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Reaching out to the brothers for a rare part Reply with quote

Nope, I don't know anyone going to the BBB. Would happily pay shipping +

Skills, the whole point of this project is to make the bus be able to pass Califirnia smog.
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Reaching out to the brothers for a rare part Reply with quote

so, the check valve I posted is a no-go?

weeeell....I've got nothing then except emissions exempt Connecticut

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Reaching out to the brothers for a rare part Reply with quote

Not sure how I could adapt that part Don
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Reaching out to the brothers for a rare part Reply with quote

I would weld the stove pipe doodad shut, drill hole for the grommet and push the valve in the grommet...

don't know if that would fly with your visual....

it just pushed into the valve cover on the watercooled cars....

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Reaching out to the brothers for a rare part Reply with quote

It's an idea and maybe a possibility but if someone can come up with an original part that would be primo
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Hoody
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Reaching out to the brothers for a rare part Reply with quote

Ah....the dreaded PCV valve. The housing should not be too difficult to find. Steve and I have been hopelessly waiting to find someone to reproduce the diaphragm....same hopeless scenario with the EGR valve....most diaphragms on this valve are pretty crusty after all of heat and oil that they been through. I will do my best to find you a used PCV valve in the next 2 days. I have a couple but am holding on to them for the diaphragm when it eventually comes to fruition. I will PM you soon.
consvws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Reaching out to the brothers for a rare part Reply with quote

I just went out with my flash light & had a look in the parts shed Smile . Will this one work? I'd be happy to send it to ya.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Hoody
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Reaching out to the brothers for a rare part Reply with quote

Yep....that's what Gary needs..he will be stoked! Another Samba hook up! Good for you!
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Reaching out to the brothers for a rare part Reply with quote

The biggest flaw in this whole "R&R" concept is that the freakin' diaphragm canister does not come apart. Cutting or prying or whatever to get it apart is an undesirable method of getting into it. The scene needs a new replacement part re-manned by somebody.

Skills may be onto something there. For one, I doubt that the performance of the water cooled version would cause a bay to fail smog, and two: if a clean adaptation was accomplished, I highly doubt the dude at the smog check would notice the difference or even know whether it was or wasn't an acceptable replacement if he did notice. Is there some specified instruction on the smogger's part to examine the valve in any way?

It's just my $0.02, I'm not saying aeromech should change gears and go with Skills' concept, but I just think the importance of the part is just overemphasized...as you all know, there's a thread hashing this topic ad nauseum.
Hoody
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Reaching out to the brothers for a rare part Reply with quote

That's already been done. Simply plumbing in a late model valve...not the Vanagon one with a piece of hose and few clamps has been successful. If you live in a State like Cali...good luck with the visual....
WestyPop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:07 am    Post subject: Re: Reaching out to the brothers for a rare part Reply with quote

From the top pic, it looks like a plastic housing. If so you might find a local ski shop repair guy who's willing to use a plastic extrusion gun to re-attach the 2 pieces. Just make sure it's a pure polyethylene plastic used for the repair, not a 'burn n' drip' plastic p-tex candle being used; those contain a lot of wax... no good for our parts!

Careful plastic extrusion application>>> some cooling >>> a bit of creative sanding >>> some satin black paint, and it could look OG enough to easily pass any SMOG inspector's eye!

Success to ya'!
68 Westy
(+ others)
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: Reaching out to the brothers for a rare part Reply with quote

Yep. That's what I need. I appreciate everyone's help here.
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:09 am    Post subject: Re: Reaching out to the brothers for a rare part Reply with quote

Dude, you've helped us all enough!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: Reaching out to the brothers for a rare part Reply with quote

one is in the mail to you Gary. Mailed it yesterday afternoon. Suggest you pick up a couple cores from other members here since you will be crossing this bridge again as you work on other smog buses. I had about 4 or 5 of them at one time and slowly they've gone to folks needing to pass smog or make their FI bus run right.

Those with cores USE ONLY HOT SOAPY WATER TO CLEAN THEM. The internal diaphragm instantly dissolves with many solvents.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: