Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

porsche motor in bug
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
driver_37_kart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 6:04 pm    Post subject: porsche motor in bug Reply with quote

i want to put a 356 motor in my 63 bug, but i also want fresh air heating. i don't really want to get one of those gas heaters because they sound a liitle dangerous. so what do i do? Confused
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Trayle D. the real oggfk
Samba Fabricator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 9:37 pm    Post subject: Re: porsche motor in bug Reply with quote

driver_37_kart wrote:
i want to put a 356 motor in my 63 bug, but i also want fresh air heating. i don't really want to get one of those gas heaters because they sound a liitle dangerous. so what do i do? Confused

Back in the day, they called them "fire under the hood", because they woud catch on fire...

Trayle Duncan
AKA: The Troll that lives under that samba
AKA: The Samba Fabricator

Stay'n sucka free for the 0000000000... Hell, from now on...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Trayle D. the real oggfk
Samba Fabricator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey webedubbin' thats a sweet ass avotar, H&R puff and stuff. Now that old school... Skim would have a good laugh ontopa that.

Trayle Duncan
AKA: The Troll that lives under that samba
AKA: The Samba Fabricator

Stay'n sucka free for the 0000000000... Hell, from now on...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bk63rag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have a 356 engine already ? Are you going for a vintage power look?. I think you would be beter off building a vw engine parts are alot easier to get and you can do so much to them. If i put a porshe engine in my car it would be 914/vw type 4 their strong and you can build a monster engine with on of those things. Im not sure about a heater i have never run one in my car but I have heard of a company that makes blower motors that run in line with the heater box tubes.I saw the add in a magazine but i can,t remember their name but i have heard they work pretty good.good luck.bk63
Kubel Nick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't have a 356 engine yet, have you priced them yet Shocked While your at it price their parts as well Wink If you don't want exhaust heating, then gas heating is your only other option. Unless you want those crappy cigarette lighter heaters...
Eaallred
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The risk of a gas heater catching fire is about the same as your engine.

Just make sure the fuel lines are good, and they're safe.

You have to remember something: Everybody pities the weak; Jealousy you have to earn.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
driver_37_kart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i want the vintage porsche look. its really more of a prestiege thing more than anything. I just want fresh air heating rather than taking the heat off the fins. i've never seen an old 356/912 motor with exhast heat exchanger on them. i would hate to back track when the original motor had fresh air and the new motor wouldn't.
OMT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fresh air heating for a 356 Porsche engine in a bug? There is a fresh air heating system for the 356 Porsche that came stock....of course only for Europe. It' hard to find and usually expensive and the exhaust won't fit and on and on.
What's wrong with the stale air? If you want "the look" you gotta pay the price! I hope you know how much those things cost after a rebuild? Oversize Main bearings are like $250.
I'm not trying to talk you out of it; just think about.
Later, Al
hlwimmer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was going for the same thing (porsche-inspired old-school-speed look):

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/147410.jpg

click the "view other images" button to see close-ups. there are some (overpriced) zenith's in the classifieds...

i could have fabricated some stale-air heater boxes and used a 36HPstyle shroud (powdercoated dove gray) for an even more authentic look (but it was a good idea too late in the process)... otherwise, i'm pleased with it.

if i were to do it again, it'd be done on a larger motor (1914 instead of my 1776), but then i'd have to figure out a better exhaust system (which adds the "heat" problem)... maybe the BAS exhaust with some custom-fabbed twin pipes...

i've heard you'll have "fit" issues with the 356 motor: heads, exhaust, hard-to-reach carb linkage. it's certainly been done, though.

if you're interested, i have an NOS fram oil filter (the orange kind) i'll have for sale in the next few weeks -- just too lazy to take pictures.
bk63rag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice Very Happy what did that pully come off ? It looks factory.
hlwimmer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think vintage solutions makes them... i bought it through ISP west @ the kelley park show last year. they are cut to fit the bug motor, but modelled after the porsche OT pulley (obviously). it is a one-to-one swap out.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: