Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Stumble and die hall sensor?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
binger59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 4:53 am    Post subject: Stumble and die hall sensor? Reply with quote

Hey volks
It's an 86 2.1, stumbled and stalled the other day and wouldn't restart. Added gas thinking it was perhaps empty, nothing. Got her home did some trouble shooting and it wasn't getting any fuel to the test "T". Change the pump and voila she started. Took it on a test run and it runs fine for 1/4 mile and starts to stumble again. Here's where I'm confused a bit, if I bumb the key off just for a split second it acts as though it's been reset. It drives normal again for 1/4-1/2 mile and then the same. The hall sensors is hanging off distr. body this is what I'm thinking maybe the problem. Does this sound like a faulty pump or bad hall sensor. The pump came off another van so not brand new but did previously work on van it was removed from. Any help from you guys would be greatly apreiciated.

1984 Westy
1986 7 Pass R.I.P. Donor van
2019 Jetta
2014 Passat
2019 Atlas
2006 Passat R.I.P.
1998 Jetta R.I.P.
1984 Vanagon R.I.P.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: Stumble and die hall sensor? Reply with quote

While a broken Hall connector is certainly suspect, a cheaper place to begin is with a new ignition switch. They are known weak points. Also a heavy key ring can sometimes cause erratic running symptoms as it effectively turns off and on the switch........

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
binger59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: Stumble and die hall sensor? Reply with quote

Thanks Dave, I have a extra switch I'll give it a try.

1984 Westy
2019 Jetta
2014 Passat
2019 Atlas
2006 Passat R.I.P.
1998 Jetta R.I.P.
1984 Vanagon R.I.P.
heidi85ho
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: Stumble and die hall sensor? Reply with quote

If the hall sensor is "hanging off the distributor" it would be in your best interest to also fix that. It may or may not be a contributor to your current problem but will present its own set of issues if left hanging.
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: Stumble and die hall sensor? Reply with quote

Even with brand new dizzies I reinforce the Hall's connection to the dist.
One heavy handed maneuver and it can be compromised.

I use Wurth Fix All, a two part epoxy that is very strong...a tiny bit goes a long way.
binger59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Stumble and die hall sensor? Reply with quote

update:

I hooked up my shoebox ecu monitor and I have hall signal and injector signals. Fuel pump is also running ok according to the monitor. I started it up and swapped an ignition switch on the fly and it ran fine.Then started to stumble after it was slightly warm. Wouldn't restart battery was dead. I got it on a charger and still will run if I bump the key off then back on real quick. Are there any other Ideas I may be missing Bad battery perhaps? It's on the charger now. Not easy to work on here in the frigid north. Any help is greatly appreciated.

1984 Westy
2019 Jetta
2014 Passat
2019 Atlas
2006 Passat R.I.P.
1998 Jetta R.I.P.
1984 Vanagon R.I.P.
sharkfoodjohnny
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Stumble and die hall sensor? Reply with quote

I had a very similar problem recently and changed the O2 sensor. Its been working fine the last 200 miles so I assume that was the problem.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Stumble and die hall sensor? Reply with quote

binger59 wrote:
update:

I hooked up my shoebox ecu monitor and I have hall signal and injector signals. Fuel pump is also running ok according to the monitor. I started it up and swapped an ignition switch on the fly and it ran fine.Then started to stumble after it was slightly warm. Wouldn't restart battery was dead. I got it on a charger and still will run if I bump the key off then back on real quick. Are there any other Ideas I may be missing Bad battery perhaps? It's on the charger now. Not easy to work on here in the frigid north. Any help is greatly appreciated.

You have something that is causing a misfire which the O2 sensor reads as an overly lean mixture causing the ECU to dump in way too much fuel which causes the misfire to rapidly get worse to the point the engine will not run. You need to find the original cause of the misfire: plugs, wires, clogged injector, etc.
binger59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Stumble and die hall sensor? Reply with quote

Just took it for a test drive with the 02 sensor disconnected. And it drove fine as it has until it's slightly warm, I wouldn't say at operating temp though. Disconnected the temp 2 sensor as well. Wild things would this show me anything? I did notice on the shoebox that I'm not get any signal from the tps fully open or closed. Could this be a culprit? It drives normal after the key bumb is what has me stumped. Does this reset the ecu every time? it's the only way I've gotten it home the last few trips.

1984 Westy
2019 Jetta
2014 Passat
2019 Atlas
2006 Passat R.I.P.
1998 Jetta R.I.P.
1984 Vanagon R.I.P.
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Stumble and die hall sensor? Reply with quote

Adjust TPS and tell us.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Stumble and die hall sensor? Reply with quote

binger59 wrote:
Just took it for a test drive with the 02 sensor disconnected. And it drove fine as it has until it's slightly warm, I wouldn't say at operating temp though. Disconnected the temp 2 sensor as well. Wild things would this show me anything? I did notice on the shoebox that I'm not get any signal from the tps fully open or closed. Could this be a culprit? It drives normal after the key bumb is what has me stumped. Does this reset the ecu every time? it's the only way I've gotten it home the last few trips.

If disconnecting the O2 sensor keeps it from messing up, then what I said above is going to apply, you have something causing a miss that is being interpreted as a lean mixture.
binger59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Stumble and die hall sensor? Reply with quote

Wildthings it did the same stumble with the o2 disconnected it just took slightly longer to develop and it was cold. Had to bump the key the last 4 or so miles to get it home. I have injectors I can try haven't been used in years though, they've been wrapped in plastic with the intent of being rebuilt. I also have plugs and a couple spare wires that I can try. Checking the injector connectors is a pain with out someone turning the key. WTF this is a real pain in the a$$.

1984 Westy
2019 Jetta
2014 Passat
2019 Atlas
2006 Passat R.I.P.
1998 Jetta R.I.P.
1984 Vanagon R.I.P.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Stumble and die hall sensor? Reply with quote

Trying to figure out the key bump thing..... The only item that I know of that operates on an initial run "timer" is the fuel pump. Everything else, when the engine warmed up, is self regulating...... no cold start defaults are in play.

A bad electric connection/ground that sparks and makes contact again?

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
binger59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Stumble and die hall sensor? Reply with quote

Maybe my first initial step is to do a full swap of the ignition switch since I have one instead of the quick switch on the fly method. Maybe I'll see something when I have it out.

1984 Westy
2019 Jetta
2014 Passat
2019 Atlas
2006 Passat R.I.P.
1998 Jetta R.I.P.
1984 Vanagon R.I.P.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Stumble and die hall sensor? Reply with quote

With the TSII sensor disconnected the ECU should not be reading the output of the O2 sensor, and thus there would not be a waiting period for the O2 sensor to come on line each time you bump the key. Maybe there is some other function in the ECU that also resets when you bump the key but I am not well enough versed in the Digifant ECU to know.

Lets look at this angle, you had a fuel pump go bad and replaced it. This could have easily have let a piece of the pump, hose, or foreign material make its way into the fuel pressure regulator and thus cause it to malfunction. Check your fuel pressure and also make sure the nipple on the FPR holds vacuum.
binger59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Stumble and die hall sensor? Reply with quote

If a piece came free of the pump it would have gotten through the canister filter also since that was after the pump

1984 Westy
2019 Jetta
2014 Passat
2019 Atlas
2006 Passat R.I.P.
1998 Jetta R.I.P.
1984 Vanagon R.I.P.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Stumble and die hall sensor? Reply with quote

VW's as a group have been known to react oddly to poor grounds. This has been true since the 1950's.

I would go through your system, remove and polish up each ground location and make sure the connector to the wire is sound.

Here is a list of 2.1 ground locations.
You obviously are focusing on the engine and fuel injection but if you've got the time...... No harm will be done by cleaning them.

You also mention your battery keeps dying?

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=548492

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: