Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Nokian WRC3
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sherrinonie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 7:20 pm    Post subject: Nokian WRC3 Reply with quote

Wondering if anyone has switched to these newly released Nokians? WRC3 215/65/15? We mainly drive throughout California so far and wondering how these tires would hold up in occasional Desert heat conditions? My Michelin Hydroedge still look almost new since 2008 but side walls are very cracked. Time for new shoes and want to pick the best Very Happy Thanks for any input!!
vw4life
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Nokian WRC3 Reply with quote

I am running Nokian Hakka C 205/65/15 and love them. 10k miles on them and no issue. Quiet, good traction probably not the best for wet/snow conditons but I lived in West LA when I bought them.

I almost got stuck on a pile of wet leaves on a decline but that was more my fault and we got out with no issue.

The WRC is supposed to be more of an all weather tire. I think you might want the Hakka C for your climate.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vw4life
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Nokian WRC3 Reply with quote

From Van Cafe site http://www.van-cafe.com/home/van/page_1326

Nokian Tires for your 16" steel or alloy wheels. We put all of our 16" options on this page - you have options for different sizes and different treads. (since some are in stock and some are not at the current time, we have set these not available to order on site but you need to ask about availability). We offer both the Hakka C which is designed for driving in less extreme weather (i.e. not a snow tire and chains will be required) and the WRC which is intended to be used in all four seasons. Here follows a chart for how the tire sizes translate into diameters to help you decide which tire best matches your intentions.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ThankYouJerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Nokian WRC3 Reply with quote

Wondering if anyone has Nokian WRC3 (not the older model WRG3) tires on a Westy and can review them for us here?

Specs look really good for these 15" sizes:

205/70/15
Load Index - 106/104
Speed Rating - S
Ply Rating - D/8PR
Max Single Load - 2090 lbs
Overall Diameter - 26.3"

215/65/15
Load Index - 104/102
Speed Rating - T
Ply Rating - C/6PR
Max Single Load - 2000 lbs
Overall Diameter - 26.0"

I'm tempted to go with the 205/70/15s over the 215/65/15s because of the 8 ply sidewalls, higher load rating, and slightly larger diameter (for reduced RPM's coupled with my 1.8T).

1. Will an 8 ply sidewall with a 70 aspect ratio be stiffer than a 6 ply sidewall with a 65 aspect ratio?

2. Is there any loss of traction/safety between a 205 width and 215?

3. Which tire will help mitigate crosswinds better (assuming all other suspension components are in top condition)?
jackbombay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 10:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Nokian WRC3 Reply with quote

ThankYouJerry wrote:

1. Will an 8 ply sidewall with a 70 aspect ratio be stiffer than a 6 ply sidewall with a 65 aspect ratio?

Probably.

ThankYouJerry wrote:

Doubtful.

ThankYouJerry wrote:

3. Which tire will help mitigate crosswinds better (assuming all other suspension components are in top condition)?

The 8 ply, IMO.

Gas struts to pop your top easily!

Pop Top strut kits now available for late Bay window Westies Smile

Samba ad here.

DIY artificial rain gutters (ARGs)
jberger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Nokian WRC3 Reply with quote

ThankYouJerry wrote:
Wondering if anyone has Nokian WRC3 (not the older model WRG3) tires on a Westy and can review them for us here?

Specs look really good for these 15" sizes:

205/70/15
Load Index - 106/104
Speed Rating - S
Ply Rating - D/8PR
Max Single Load - 2090 lbs
Overall Diameter - 26.3"

215/65/15
Load Index - 104/102
Speed Rating - T
Ply Rating - C/6PR
Max Single Load - 2000 lbs
Overall Diameter - 26.0"

I'm tempted to go with the 205/70/15s over the 215/65/15s because of the 8 ply sidewalls, higher load rating, and slightly larger diameter (for reduced RPM's coupled with my 1.8T).

Bump.. I am also looking at the WR C3 for a new all around set of tires. I currently have 205 70/15 Entyre's that have lasted quite a long time. Too long in fact... they still won't die.. but I have a Yosemite trip coming up and I'd love to have snowflake rated tire on my syncro for no chain requirements. Also, the WR C3 has a higher load rating than the Entyre
70coupyel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:59 am    Post subject: Re: Nokian WRC3 Reply with quote

Buy the 8 ply sidewall tires. The stiffer sidewall really does make any steering input much more responsive. Controlling the van's weight during firm or hard evasive actions is where the 8 ply's earn their money. I won't go back to 6 ply's.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=338946&highlight=
70 KG Coup
83 Westy Waterboxer
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:22 am    Post subject: Re: Nokian WRC3 Reply with quote

^ +1 ^

— Colin Chapman
jberger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: Nokian WRC3 Reply with quote

70coupyel wrote:
Buy the 8 ply sidewall tires. The stiffer sidewall really does make any steering input much more responsive. Controlling the van's weight during firm or hard evasive actions is where the 8 ply's earn their money. I won't go back to 6 ply's.

You have tried the WR C3's? I have owned and driven quite a variety of tires and understand the advantage of a stiffer sidewall, just looking for someone who is actually running these, year round.
70coupyel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Nokian WRC3 Reply with quote

jberger wrote:
You have tried the WR C3's? I have owned and driven quite a variety of tires and understand the advantage of a stiffer sidewall, just looking for someone who is actually running these, year round.

I have summer Nokian tires on my van. No experience with those winter tires.

70 KG Coup
83 Westy Waterboxer
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Nokian WRC3 Reply with quote

Sherrinonie wrote:
WRC3
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

looks like a very nice winter capable tire, due to all the sipes

I ran WRC on a subaru that lived in snow country (Santa Fe NM), and I drove the tires across the Mohave during the summer, to Santa Barbara and back, 3 loops total.

I saw no problem using the tire in 100f weather and 20F weather, and inbetween.

I would definitely buy that tire. It has an excellent load rating above 100…

Do you have a rear mounted spare tire carrier? I dont think it would fit in the stock spare tire location (but that could be modified)

The only concern is it looks directional. You need to know if it is marked that way, or if its OK to reverse it on rotation.. otherwise, there is a chance that you would end up running the spare backwards, depending which side you got a flat on.

of course, most of us dont get flat tires, and never use our spare.. just something to research..

by comparison, the Hydroedge is a very weak Passenger rated tire, I believe it is underrated at 95. I would never buy that tire. Glad it worked for you, now get rid of them Smile

part of the issue with tire construction, is how heavy a vehicle it is being used on.. my personal vans have been on the heavy side, westies, not light tintops.

vw4life wrote:
Hakka C

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

that tire has no sipes at all, I would NEVER run it in snow, and I can see why you would easily get stuck on wet grass with it.

I could not find your size, what is its load rating?

if the load rating is at least 98, imo that is a good tire for places that only get rain, but never get freezing temperatures.

It does not look directional, and imo could be cross rotated (though many tire shops avoid the issue and only rotate on same side, I prefer to cross). In any case, a spare of the Hakka C would not have any issues, regardless which side it was needed on in the unlikely event of a flat tire.

Im a huge fan of Nokian tires, for their all weather and snow handling, as well as for the strong Light Truck rated construction and C load ratings. (load rating varies by specific model and size)
70coupyel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Nokian WRC3 Reply with quote

The Hakka's have been replaced by the Entyre.
edit: Nokian cLine Van is the replacement tire.

70 KG Coup
83 Westy Waterboxer

Last edited by 70coupyel on Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Nokian WRC3 Reply with quote

70coupyel wrote:

The Entyres Ive looked up were Passenger XL rated. I believe crazyvwvanman ran them in 205x65x15, and commented that he would not buy them again due to the weak sidewall construction. He drives a light tintop, but its a syncro and he goes offroad.

otoh, people who are on pavement in SoCal, seem to do fine with Passenger XL tires like the Hydroedge, that I Love to Hate Smile (even with cracked sidewalls, on older than 6 year rubber, something I have also also survived, myself)

Last edited by Jon_slider on Wed Jan 04, 2017 5:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Corwyn Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Nokian WRC3 Reply with quote

I've been running Yokohama Geolandar ATs (205/70 15s) my Westy for five years. Though load rated at 96, I've taken them from Washington State, to Baja California and the East Coast. No issues, but I'm sure they're a little mushier than an 8-ply.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604813&highlight=baja

"If anything's" gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there"
~ Captain Ron ~
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
70coupyel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Nokian WRC3 Reply with quote

Jon_slider wrote:
70coupyel wrote:

The Entyres Ive looked up were Passenger XL rated. I believe crazyvwvanman ran them in 205x65x15, and commented that he would not buy them again due to the weak sidewall construction. He drives a light tintop, but its a syncro and he goes offroad.

Since Im also Syncro and Offroad biased, I would prefer a Light Truck tire with a C rating. So for my minimum 98 rating bias, Hydroedge, Hakka C, and Entyre are not an option.

otoh, people who are on pavement in SoCal, seem to do fine with Passenger XL tires like the Hydroedge, that I Love to Hate Smile (even with cracked sidewalls, on older than 6 year rubber, something I have also survived myself, but I dont recommend it)

Sorry I'm wrong. Nokian cLine Van is the replacement tire for the Hakka's.

70 KG Coup
83 Westy Waterboxer
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Nokian WRC3 Reply with quote

Jon the Entyre in 205/65/15 are 98 rated.
the Entyre in 205/70/15 are XL 100 rated.
and they wear very well and have good winter traction, but I wouldn't count on them in deep snow regularly.

we run 3 different Nokian tires on our family vans over many miles.
https://www.nokiantires.com/winter-tires/nokian-entyre-20/
Quote:
The Nokian eNTYRE 2.0 is a premium All-Season tire that has excellent wet grip, a smooth and quiet ride, long tread life, great handling and good winter grip when compared to other Premium All-Season tires.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Nokian WRC3 Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
Jon the Entyre in 205/65/15 are 98 rated.
the Entyre in 205/70/15 are XL 100 rated.

thanks for the accuracy check, much appreciated
ThankYouJerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Nokian WRC3 Reply with quote

Nokian lists all of their "tyres", which sizes each one is available in, and all corresponding data for each tire on their website. Here is a link to the WRC3 in the title of this thread: https://www.nokiantyres.com/winter-tyres/nokian-wr-c3/
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Nokian WRC3 Reply with quote

There used to be a guy on here a while back who was actually quite knowledgeable and he was very happy with the Nokian C-Line tires for vans in regards to the load rating and handling.
He ran them in snow and summer too I think back East in Massachusetts where he loved to encapsulate the entire bottom of the Vanagon to keep the salt out.

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Nokian WRC3 Reply with quote

For cross wind stability, and the nice feeling of cornering on curvy country roads, I'd lean toward the 8 ply. Most of my adult life, I've owned and driven SUVs and vans, where a stouter carcass and sidewall pay dividends. And I've made bad choices of getting P metrics and being surprised even with my vehicle background that the deterioration was so evident. The most remarkable example was a new full size 1999 Mitsubishi Montero. On the way home from the dealership I couldn't believe how unstable the factory rubber was. I bit the bullet and the next day dropped 800 bucks on 8 ply Michelin LTX's (one of my all time favorite tires) and believe me, I'm a tightwad so that was no easy call. The truck lost 90% of its high speed ills instantly with only a minimal increase in ride harshness - and that only here and there.

Here's a paragraph that may help you decide - coming from a vehicle development and testing background. You can get stability from a tread like the Hakka C above exhibits - lots of circumferential ribs that are solid. That will give you long life as well. However, you give up an incredible amount of traction in those 2X a year situations such as straying down a dirt road and finding the van struggling on uneven terrain, or wet leaves or a patch of snow at your friend's cabin. But you can also get driving stability from the stronger carcass of an uplevel load capacity. So, to me the best choice is to go with an uplevel load tire like an 8 ply in this case, but choose one with a more traction oriented tread to retain the traction in those "whoopsie" conditions we all see as van owners who often seek the quiet or novel corners of life. As a lifelong tire fanatic, that new tire you are looking at seems to be right in the bullseye for what I try to find for my vehicles.
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: