Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How much heater hose should be replaced?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
cmayna
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:00 am    Post subject: How much heater hose should be replaced? Reply with quote

While I am replacing the main plastic coolant lines, I noticed the long heater hoses are very soft and felt it was perfect time to replace them as well. My question is regarding up towards the front heater core area. Do most just replace the long lines and stop where they junction right under the core into the preformed hose pieces?

I really don't have the time to rip too far into the dash at this point if I don't have to.

I notice Van Cafe's heater hose kit stops where the long straight pieces connect up to the preformed pieces that disappear up into the heater area.

Thanks all

Craig
Skidub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: How much heater hose should be replaced ? Reply with quote

IMHO you would be safe replacing the longer runs of heater hose from the tees towards the rear of the van up to the front heater control valve and the other connection right next to it. Before removing things I would recommend putting some form of labeling on each end of the connections to make sure you install the proper supply / return ends. Most of the hoses that are either feeding the rear or front heater core are in pretty darn good shape up inside the van, but should definitely inspect and make your own call.

A couple of pics for reference from doing this on my Syncro last summer:
You can see I have some things ID'd with tape:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Measured things to get an idea of reinstall location

Front heater valve hoses to front heater core kept:

Replaced rear plastic factory tees with aluminum from Van Café:

Rebuilt with Stainless transfer pipes and silicon heater hose

warmblood58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: How much heater hose should be replaced ? Reply with quote

I used Skidubs method recently, found some high quality silicon hose for under 30.00 on EBAY and did the hoses while my stainless coolant pipes were out getting reoriented properly. This is a repair worth doing after 30 odd years of use. Have fun!
Franagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: How much heater hose should be replaced? Reply with quote

Hello, How much hose did you buy? I am looking to do the same thing. I am in the middle of a Bostig build and I am putting in the SS Coolant lines and want to do the heater lines. How much and what size? I was thinking of running 5/8".

Thanks!
Jeffrey Lee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: How much heater hose should be replaced? Reply with quote

Yes, 5/8" ID is the size you need. I used about 28 feet to replace all the heater lines on my 1983 diesel, but a WBX or Bostig would likely require less because of the engine layout and hose routing.

Here's some top-quality Gates Green Stripe hose:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1867886
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:12 am    Post subject: Re: How much heater hose should be replaced? Reply with quote

I replaced my heater hose on my 87 last Summer because the system was empty and I Could easily do so.

I Was surprised at what good shape the original hose was in! I Cut it open in a few spots, it could have run it for longer but haven't any regrets about renewing it.

To replace the formed hoses at the heater box isn't hard, just remove the glove box and the front heater panel to gain access.

Again, mine were in great shape so I tossed the dice and am running them still...... The ONLY OG rubber in the entire cooling system!
I'll let you know how that worked out for me years from now.......

I did renew the heater valve with a Ford style unit having read about the high failure rate of the OE replacement valves.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Franagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:54 am    Post subject: Re: How much heater hose should be replaced? Reply with quote

Thanks guys for the information. I dug around on the Samba some more and found what I was looking for. I plan on replacing from the engine to the front heater core valve. I removed my rear heater and had some other spices and repairs, so I want to just have a lot less connection points. Yes, the hose I took out looked fine, so I may keep some of that as emergency spare with some barb fittings that I had in mine lines after eliminating the rear heater. I probably over think emergency situations, but I want to get off the grid as much as I can. Thanks again! I hope to be sourcing some from my FLAPS today. I figure I am going to go with about 28-30 feet. I just measured the length of my van real quick and went by that. Thanks again, good information to add to my other searching.

Thanks!
BlueGrasser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: How much heater hose should be replaced? Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
I replaced my heater hose on my 87 last Summer because the system was empty and I Could easily do so.

I Was surprised at what good shape the original hose was in! I Cut it open in a few spots, it could have run it for longer but haven't any regrets about renewing it.

To replace the formed hoses at the heater box isn't hard, just remove the glove box and the front heater panel to gain access.

Again, mine were in great shape so I tossed the dice and am running them still...... The ONLY OG rubber in the entire cooling system!
I'll let you know how that worked out for me years from now.......

I did renew the heater valve with a Ford style unit having read about the high failure rate of the OE replacement valves.

Dave

Most of my heater hose was in decent shape as well, but the rear plastic tees easily crumpled in my hands after I replaced them with the metal ones from van cafe.

My system was empty as well as I was doing a thorough drain and flush of the coolant.

I found the kits on Van-Cafe to be quite reasonable after I priced out buying everything individually. The problem is the cases the heater hose come in is almost enough to do two vans (but not quite).

Don't forget to put a flow limiter in the rear heater loop if you piece it together yourself. Without it you won't get sufficient flow to the front heater core.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: