Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Can I recoat Slick Sand the next Day?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
uffdakev
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 5:56 pm    Post subject: Can I recoat Slick Sand the next Day? Reply with quote

I attempted to spray on Slick Sand with a 2.0 tip(TCP Global from Amazon). It went on very thin. I had to make at least 2 passes on each panel to get coverage. This took me 3 hrs to get the first coat on the whole car. By then my arm was aching and I had to quit for the day. There is still primer showing lightly through some areas.

Can I recoat a second coat tomorrow (24 hrs) or do I have to sand first?

Also I think the gun is not working properly. When I fully compress the handle the pressure drops to zero no matter how high the initial reading. Is this the reason it it went on so slow?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
uffdakev
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: Can I recoat Slick Sand the next Day? Reply with quote

I called Evercoat today and they said I have to scuff it before applying another coat
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
buguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: Can I recoat Slick Sand the next Day? Reply with quote

Yeah that stuff dries in like 2 hours at 70 degrees. And yes. With a 2.0 tip it should have gone on pretty good. Any idea what pressure you were spraying at?
uffdakev
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: Can I recoat Slick Sand the next Day? Reply with quote

I tried all pressures from 35 to 90. The pressure gauge dropped to zero whenever I pulled the trigger. I called TCP Global and they think it is defective. Amazon is giving me a refund.
I'm going to try and find a gun locally, scuff and reshoot. I'll probably run out of Slick Sand and have to rescuff. I will only do small areas at a time so I can get enough coats so I won't have to rescuff.
Air-Cooled Head
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Can I recoat Slick Sand the next Day? Reply with quote

This post in another forum, sounds similar to yours. I didn't read it all, but there may be some info you can use.
http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/well-my-slick-sand-night-didnt-go-so-slick-219708.html
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
buguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Can I recoat Slick Sand the next Day? Reply with quote

Many local paint suppliers will carry a 2.2-2.5 gun for around $60 if you make some calls.
uffdakev
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: Can I recoat Slick Sand the next Day? Reply with quote

Buguy,
I went to Wesco paint supply where I have been getting my PPG paint and they looked at me funny until I said I was shooting Slick sand, then they said they could order me one. I ordered one off the internet.

AirCooled,
I had read that post before I started and knew not to use the filter. I appears it was a defective gun. I will find out on the next one.

Last edited by uffdakev on Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:18 am; edited 1 time in total
buguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Can I recoat Slick Sand the next Day? Reply with quote

Yeah you really dont need a good gun for shooting that stuff because it simply sprays like shit no matter what. I have found ways to get it to lay just a bit better, but it really doesnt matter much because your getting so much build from it and your going to be blocking it anyway.

I like to spray it at pretty low pressures to avoid getting much overspray. I dont have a regulator on that gun but I would guess its in the 14-17 PSI range. I also hold the gun a bit further from the panel than normal. This way the fan is a bit wider (its not much of a fan with this viscosity) and I can really watch it go on.
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: Can I recoat Slick Sand the next Day? Reply with quote

I cut my G2 (similar product) with 10% acetone to get it to spray a bit better and lay a bit flatter. It doesn't really kill the build properties either.

It does spray with a texture but if you use the guidecoat you can get it very smooth.
uffdakev
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Can I recoat Slick Sand the next Day? Reply with quote

Ok I got my new gun with a 2.5 tip, still cheap but from a different company, and it is still going to zero when I pull the trigger. It puts on a lot more material than the last gun but it seemed to only splatter it on (super orange peel).

I have a Harbor Freight gun that I used for the DPLF so I thought I would see if it was the pressure gauge. It worked perfectly with the gauge from the new gun. (40 lbs at gauge, 20 lbs with trigger pulled)

I do have a 1.8 tip for the HF and I will try that tomorrow, but is it possible that I got 2 defective guns that have the same defect from 2 different companies.

Also Slick Sand says to thin it 10% with a fast Urethane reducer, would PPG DT 860 qualify?
buguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Can I recoat Slick Sand the next Day? Reply with quote

Nah no way you got 2 bad guns. Also with a 2.5 tip there is no reason to reduce slick sand. You may not think it, but even with only 10% reducer, it still cuts the build. I sprayed some today with a 2.5 tip and it really lays it on heavy. It does spray with a lot of orange peel, thats just kind of how it is. Do you have the material knob open all the way. I always (before putting product in) squeeze the trigger, then turn the knob in until it just brings the trigger off of its seat. Also be sure you have the air opened all the way on the gun if your using a regulator. With 15 psi, it should really be hogging it on. Dont be confused though, Its not going to spray out like the DPLF does.

If you are doing all that and its still not working right, try taking the regulator off and just run the air line right to the gun and regulate it with the air knob on the gun. See if that does it. I wish i would have taken a little vid of my spraying today to give you an idea. I probably spray 200 gallons of that stuff a year, so I could get you a video pretty quick im sure, but im off for the weekend.
uffdakev
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Can I recoat Slick Sand the next Day? Reply with quote

Okay two screw ups and one success.

I tried my HF gun and a small batch of SS with reducer on a door. It went on like paint. I wish I could make my final paint job this smooth. Then I realized I was still using my 1.4 tip. So I switched out my tip for a 1.8 and got ready to mix a new batch. That is when I realized I hadn't added any catalyst to my previous batch.

I tried to wipe it off with acetone but it just smeared around and almost nothing came off onto the rag.

At least I feel comfortable that I have solved the paint gun problem, now any ideas on how to get rid of the uncatalyzed Slick Sand?
buguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: Can I recoat Slick Sand the next Day? Reply with quote

Laquer thinner. And be ready for a huge mess.
uffdakev
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Can I recoat Slick Sand the next Day? Reply with quote

Ok I sprayed SS with my Harbor Freight gun. My test patterns looked good with a smooth oval pattern. When I sprayed the car it looked like this:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Does this look normal?
buguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Can I recoat Slick Sand the next Day? Reply with quote

Thats a little rough. What size was the tip?
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: Can I recoat Slick Sand the next Day? Reply with quote

Did you stir & stir & stir? And then stir some more?

That is why I like to reduce it a bit.
uffdakev
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: Can I recoat Slick Sand the next Day? Reply with quote

I was using a 2.2 tip. When I did a test spray on masking paper it laid out smooth, but went on the car kinda splattery. I didn't think I needed to reduce it with a 2.2 tip.
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: Can I recoat Slick Sand the next Day? Reply with quote

Well here is my two cents worth. And you will get LOTS of disagreement with it but it has worked for me on 1/2 a dozen cars.....

Crank up the air pressure and thin by 10% acetone.

Try it or not...it doesn't matter. I can tell you that my panels come out a lot better with a 1.8mm tip.

But the joy of it is that with a little block sanding and you are flat as can be.

Oh...one other question....what was the substrate on the panel? Bare metal?

Last edited by jspbtown on Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:57 am; edited 1 time in total
uffdakev
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: Can I recoat Slick Sand the next Day? Reply with quote

Thanks, I only have one more panel to do and I will defineately try reduce it.
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: Can I recoat Slick Sand the next Day? Reply with quote

And don't forget the guidecoat. Will all those lumps you want to make sure its 100% flat when you are done sanding.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: