Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Engine hatch weatherstrip gluing advice needed
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
eche_bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:08 pm    Post subject: Engine hatch weatherstrip gluing advice needed Reply with quote

I'm replacing the outside engine hatch weatherstrip and could use a little gluing advice. The new one-piece weatherstrip is made of EPDM and so isn't as stiff as OG, and I've found it won't stay in place without gluing. I can see clearly that VW originally used a thin line of glue under the whole length of this weatherstrip to hold it in place.

I've got 3M Super Weatherstrip Adhesive on hand, but my experience is with applying it to both surfaces, then waiting for it to stop being tacky. Touching the two surfaces together then grabs immediately. Trouble is, I need to be able to shift the weatherstrip around enough to make sure it goes into/over the metal channel properly, so this just isn't going to work.

Q: Is there another glue I should use here or is there another technique using 3M Super Weatherstrip Adhesive that allows a little time to move things around but still bonds properly once dry?

Thanks! Smile
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine hatch weatherstrip gluing advice needed Reply with quote

put it down without glue. Use a pencil to make marks every at the beginning and every 1' or so. Lay it down and see if you have too much or too little at the end. Adjust your marks until you get it right - then do the glue. If it is like mine, 3M won't hold it for long as the pressure in the corners will pull it loose. Use the hatch to hold it down for a few days until the glue really sets up. I have yet to find a hatch seal as flexible as the originals but the ones sold will work if you leave the hatch on long enough for it to take a set.
eche_bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine hatch weatherstrip gluing advice needed Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
put it down without glue. Use a pencil to make marks every at the beginning and every 1' or so. Lay it down and see if you have too much or too little at the end. Adjust your marks until you get it right - then do the glue. If it is like mine, 3M won't hold it for long as the pressure in the corners will pull it loose. Use the hatch to hold it down for a few days until the glue really sets up. I have yet to find a hatch seal as flexible as the originals but the ones sold will work if you leave the hatch on long enough for it to take a set.

I've done a dry fit by installing the entire seal and it fits well, including the corners and where the two ends come together at the bottom. So amazingly (for aftermarket) there is neither too much or too little length.

My concern is that if I apply the 3M glue to the seal and to the bus, then as soon as I set the seal into place, the glue will grab and prevent me from getting the groove in the seal to seat properly over the metal flange that runs around the opening.

I know I could just apply glue to the bus and not the seal, but I don't think I've seen that work in the past so am uneasy to do so.
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine hatch weatherstrip gluing advice needed Reply with quote

eche_bus wrote:
SGKent wrote:

I've done a dry fit by installing the entire seal and it fits well, including the corners and where the two ends come together at the bottom. So amazingly (for aftermarket) there is neither too much or too little length.

My concern is that if I apply the 3M glue to the seal and to the bus, then as soon as I set the seal into place, the glue will grab and prevent me from getting the groove in the seal to seat properly over the metal flange that runs around the opening.

I know I could just apply glue to the bus and not the seal, but I don't think I've seen that work in the past so am uneasy to do so.

Use your marks as you go to know if you're putting it back from the dry fit correctly. If they are every inch or so and continue to line up as you're going along, you'll know that at the end, it'll not be too stretched or anything and will fit.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine hatch weatherstrip gluing advice needed Reply with quote

I see what you're saying, about sort of angling the seal into place while tucking the inner edges under the flange without getting it stuck. Maybe if you apply the adhesive surgically to the very outer edges only, both on the body and the seal...that would minimize the chances of catching before getting it tucked. (By the outer edges, I still mean the gluing "face" of the sealing surface, not the top, bottom, and sides of the frame, so to speak.)

I'll be up against this job pretty soon here, and SGKent got me thinking...if I can find an adhesive that only needs to be applied to one surface, and doesn't need to flash tacky, then maybe it can be set, restrained if necessary with a few pieces of blue tape, then shut the lid and let it cure. If I recall, mine didn't have that much glue, and the seal pulled out fairly cleanly, unlike a lot of seals do (leaving tons of remnants behind)...it probably doesn't need all that much glue for the purpose there.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: Engine hatch weatherstrip gluing advice needed Reply with quote

Throw the seal in the dryer on low heat until is is pliable. You need a slow set product like this 3M™ Scotch-Weld™ Instant Adhesive CA5 Clear. For clean up 3m 08984.
Good luck
Tcash
eche_bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: Engine hatch weatherstrip gluing advice needed Reply with quote

The method SGKent suggested to keep track of stretch is a great tip.

The issue that Busstom highlighted is the main one I was getting at. Whereas the base of the seal pretty much just lays into place, the flange/slot edge of the seal requires some fiddling with to get pressed into place in a straight line. The idea to angle the seal into place is spot on. The challenge is doing this with a 3-4 foot long piece of wiggly rubber that gravity wants to pull off the flange. I'm convinced the original seal would stay in place, but I've already experienced that this new seal doesn't have the stiffness or molded features sufficient to perform this way.

Perhaps a way to do this is to first apply glue to the seal and bus and let dry to the touch as per directions. Then, drape sheets of paper (Post-It Notes?) over the glue on the bus, to allow the seal to be inserted around the flange without risking contact with the bus glue. Then, with a section of the seal in place, remove a sheet of paper, press the section of seal to the bus, and repeat.

Tcash - thanks for the tip about the Scotch-Weld Adhesive. I'm going to experiment with using the 3M Super Weatherstrip Adhesive using some scrap first, and consider that next.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine hatch weatherstrip gluing advice needed Reply with quote

What about double back sticky tape? That would allow you to peel as you go and re-position the seal if needed.
Tcash
rodgersbadassbus64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine hatch weatherstrip gluing advice needed Reply with quote

Super glue works great. I also use it for my safaris on my splitty Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine hatch weatherstrip gluing advice needed Reply with quote

Scotch weld IS superglue (cyanoacrylate). Its a little crispy and hard ro get off if need be. We use it for permanent assembly of surgical foams to plastics.

A high tack silicone RTV applied to one surface would be best. Ray
ron3865
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine hatch weatherstrip gluing advice needed Reply with quote

I used Loctite Black Contact Adhesive on the engine hatch and door seals. Apply a couple of spots to one side (just enough to hold it in) and it works great. Trouble is that Loctite doesn't make it anymore but I found it online at Zoro.com. I should have bought a couple of tubes as I find I use it for quite a few jobs.

If you want a real pliable seal get one from Wolfsburg West. They make one that is in 4 parts and you trim for final length. Was almost too easy to install. Just use a few dabs of adhesive as it stays in pretty well by itself.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine hatch weatherstrip gluing advice needed Reply with quote

ron3865 wrote:
I used Loctite Black Contact Adhesive on the engine hatch and door seals. Apply a couple of spots to one side (just enough to hold it in) and it works great. Trouble is that Loctite doesn't make it anymore but I found it online at Zoro.com. I should have bought a couple of tubes as I find I use it for quite a few jobs.

If you want a real pliable seal get one from Wolfsburg West. They make one that is in 4 parts and you trim for final length. Was almost too easy to install. Just use a few dabs of adhesive as it stays in pretty well by itself.

Really?.....i have no issues finding it online. Loctite 380.

Bear in mind that Loctite is owned by Henkel.....has been for a while. They may be changing some names and part #s. Ray
speedystar77
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: Engine hatch weatherstrip gluing advice needed Reply with quote

FWIW I did this weeks ago and used a thin layer of black Permatex (?) automotive weatherstrip adhesive. I could not get it to stay in position without the adhesive. I had something on hand (silicone solvent) to wipe away any excess while it was still wet. Everything is holding well so far. It did take a few days of hatch closed to get it compressed where the lid latches easily like it did with the original seal.
1700 cc engine with manual transmission
32/36 DFEV Weber Progressive
ron3865
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: Engine hatch weatherstrip gluing advice needed Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
ron3865 wrote:

Bear in mind that Loctite is owned by Henkel.....has been for a while. They may be changing some names and part #s. Ray

Finding it on line was no problem but locally,..Walmart, O'Rielly"s, Ace, Home Depot, etc. didn't have it. When I called the # for Loctite i gave them the product name and # and was told they dropped it from their line and anything out thee was old stock. I hope that info is wrong as that stuff is great for a lot of applications.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: Engine hatch weatherstrip gluing advice needed Reply with quote

ron3865 wrote:
raygreenwood wrote:
ron3865 wrote:

Finding it on line was no problem but locally,..Walmart, O'Rielly"s, Ace, Home Depot, etc. didn't have it. When I called the # for Loctite i gave them the product name and # and was told they dropped it from their line and anything out thee was old stock. I hope that info is wrong as that stuff is great for a lot of applications.

Hmmmm...interesting! This is of interest to me as Henkel is a major player in my industry...and lots of things are shaking up and consolidating right now....especially with the merger of DuPont and Dow.

There are more than a few nearly identical products on the market so the few times I actually use the Henkel product....its not a huge issue for me...but it is a very good and consistent product. Ray
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: Engine hatch weatherstrip gluing advice needed Reply with quote

Permatex® Super Weatherstrip Adhesive, Part Number: 81731
Allows for repositioning parts after contact is made. - See more at: http://www.permatex.com/products-2/product-categor...6Lt0P.dpuf
Tcash
eche_bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine hatch weatherstrip gluing advice needed Reply with quote

I appreciate all the anecdotes and ideas and am honestly taking it all into consideration. I'll reiterate that the crux of the issue is that it's TOO flexible as it readily falls out of the flange, just like speedystar77 points out. We're not talking about installing an OG VW seal here which seems more likely to stay put without or with a minimum of glue.

This new seal is made from EPDM, which from a little research last night, I discovered is actually pretty tough to glue.

Cyanoacrylate glue: Yes, that will bond to it, but this class of glue is notorious for a lack of durability in humid environments. Perhaps ScotchWeld is somehow different, so its not entirely out of the question.

3M Super Weatherstrip Adhesive: Turns out the yellow 3M Super Weatherstrip Adhesive I had on hand isn't recommended for use with EPDM. 3M says to use their black one for EPDM (and I thought the only difference was color). Trouble is, it isn't repositionable. Coat both surfaces, touch together, and it GRABS. I'm holding off on this for now.

Permatex Black Super Weatherstrip Adhesive or Weatherstrip Cement (clear): This is the only family other than ScotchWeld that represents itself as repositionable. I spoke with Permatex this morning to ask how long can be repositioned. The answer was "not tested, but it's a modified contact adhesive to allow repositioning". Then I asked which product was recommended for use with EPDM, as their website doesn't say. The answer was "I don't know. I'll have to ask the lead chemist and get back to you." So waiting to hear back.

Loctite Black Contact Adhesive: it's a contact cement and isn't represented as repositionable or for use with EPDM. If someone here can tell me otherwise, I'd be very happy.

Hi Tack RTV: Will this actually bond EPDM?
poptop tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine hatch weatherstrip gluing advice needed Reply with quote

Not sure if this helps.
http://www.permabond.com/blog/2015/05/12/bonding-epdm-industrial-adhesive/
eche_bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine hatch weatherstrip gluing advice needed Reply with quote

poptop tom wrote:
Not sure if this helps.
http://www.permabond.com/blog/2015/05/12/bonding-epdm-industrial-adhesive/

Yes, found that last night, thanks. This is actually where some of my concern comes from about bonding EPDM. It recommends Cyanoacrylates, but highlights the potential moisture issues.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine hatch weatherstrip gluing advice needed Reply with quote

3M Super Weatherstrip Adhesive: Turns out the yellow 3M Super Weatherstrip Adhesive I had on hand isn't recommended for use with EPDM. 3M says to use their black one for EPDM (and I thought the only difference was color). Trouble is, it isn't repositionable. Coat both surfaces, touch together, and it GRABS. I'm holding off on this for now.
Would it be worth asking if there is something you can mix with the Adhesive to retard the set time?
Tcash
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: