Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Engine hatch weatherstrip gluing advice needed
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
eche_bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine hatch weatherstrip gluing advice needed Reply with quote

Tcash wrote:
3M Super Weatherstrip Adhesive: Turns out the yellow 3M Super Weatherstrip Adhesive I had on hand isn't recommended for use with EPDM. 3M says to use their black one for EPDM (and I thought the only difference was color). Trouble is, it isn't repositionable. Coat both surfaces, touch together, and it GRABS. I'm holding off on this for now.
Would it be worth asking if there is something you can mix with the Adhesive to retard the set time?
Tcash

That's a good question, but I think what jams that sort of plan is that the glue is supposed to be dry to the touch before putting the surfaces together. I have seen it recommended elsewhere that a wet coat of the glue be put on one surface after the original coat has dried and then immediately bonded. But this is supposed to make it a more aggressively bond. I couldn't find anyone saying this 2nd wet coat made things any more repositionable. In any case, I'll see if I can get through to 3M to see what they have to say.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine hatch weatherstrip gluing advice needed Reply with quote

as I indicated the seal I had was bonded down with the 3m elephant snot slightly damp, then I used the hatch to hold it down until it completely dried. It has been fine once the glue dried in a few days.
eche_bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: Engine hatch weatherstrip gluing advice needed Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
as I indicated the seal I had was bonded down with the 3m elephant snot slightly damp, then I used the hatch to hold it down until it completely dried. It has been fine once the glue dried in a few days.

Hi Steve,
A few questions:

Q1: Did the seal you glued appear to be made from EPDM (appears slightly textured, not smooth like the OG VW one)?

Q2: Which 3M "elephant snot" did you use? Yellow or Black? 3M calls out black for EPDM.

Q3: Where did you apply the glue? I mean was it applied just to the bus or to both the seal and the bus?

Q4: Once glue was applied, were you able to move the seal around a bit once you'd placed the seal against the bus?

Q5: How long has it been since the seal was installed?

Thank you.
eche_bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine hatch weatherstrip gluing advice needed Reply with quote

I heard back from Permatex yesterday afternoon. They say their 81731(yellow) and 81850(black) repositionable weatherstrip adhesives are both good for bonding EPDM. So speedystar77, I think you're good for the long haul, if that's what you used.

@SGKent - I'd still appreciate hearing back from you on those questions I posed. Knowing these kind of details as to how you made it work for you might help others as well.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: