Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Emergency brake light only on in start
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:09 pm    Post subject: Emergency brake light only on in start Reply with quote

Emergency brake light only on in start

The only time the E Brake light is on is when the engine is cranking. I’ve checked the switch at the E brake and that one seems to be doing what it should (going in an out)

Also it seems the seatbelt light is not working how it should.

Before I go playing in the rats nest, I’d love some hints from those in the know what to look for and how the circuit works.

Thanks,

www.SuperVanagon.com - some stuff I make
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: Emergency brake light only on in start Reply with quote

bump

www.SuperVanagon.com - some stuff I make
B.O.B.Wanders
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Emergency brake light only on in start Reply with quote

I had the opposite problem where the e-brake light would come on every time the main brake pedal was pressed and it was related to the brake pressure switches on the master cylinder.
I replaced the faulty switch and the issue went away. You might find some useful info in this thread:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5...ning+light

"It feels good to be lost in the right direction” - unknown
gertiebob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: Emergency brake light only on in start Reply with quote

Is there an answer for this particular problem. I have that exact issue as of this morning. Light was working properly one minute, next this glowing while cranking starter only.

I see the word "bump" but that is a bit mysterious... I did "bump" the cluster near the light....

Hmmmmm.

Oh, and I mean the original question.

Thanks!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: Emergency brake light only on in start Reply with quote

"Bump" is someone adding a response to the thread to move it back to the top of the page for viewing.

Electrical problems have many possible answers, not just one.

Here, I would inspect the brake wiring and the grounds, as lights that come on at weird times are usually ground faults finding new paths.
Slimvest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: Emergency brake light only on in start Reply with quote

Had this issue. Bad connection at the ebrake pin switch located in the brake handle assembly.
gertiebob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Emergency brake light only on in start Reply with quote

Thanks Slimvest! Of course I should have checked obvious thing first.

Seemed odd that light came on when cranking starter and not otherwise.

Switch at handle was sticking then popping up after awhile while parked with e-brake on...

A bit of silicon lube fixed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: