Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Is Tarping a bad idea?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Is Tarpping a bad idea? Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
epowell wrote:
Hi Friends...
...just got back to freezing Czech after 6 weeks in South India. (great trip!)
I had put a huge tarp on my van before going - and when I got back my girlfriend told me that some of the guys around town were saying that the tarp is a bad idea because it will trap moisture and promote rusting...

...is this true?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I think we should admire a job done well.

When you put a tarp under it, be sure to raise the center of the tarp so water does not puddle on top of the tarp, or poke a small hole in the low spot so water runs out.

I'm sure the neighbors just love looking at that all winter long.

At least its not on the front lawn like a boat.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Is Tarping a bad idea? Reply with quote

that will soften up the neighbors for when he builds a carport out of the tarp and some tree limbs
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Is Tarping a bad idea? Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:

Some people report very good success with tarping rigs, multi layers should help here.

You mean there IS a way to "properly" tarp a van?
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Is Tarping a bad idea? Reply with quote

Andrew A. Libby wrote:
Really, a heated garage would be best...

Very unfortunately that probably won't happen - we actually do have two garages, one is sorta heated, but neither has a door high enough to accommodate my "Everest van".

I do have a space where I can and am allowed to build a carport - yes if I go "gungho" I could make it a full proper garage - and even heat it... who knows, maybe I will do this - but can be very expensive...

EDIT: hmmmm... but come to think of it. . . I really neeeeeeed a workshop, and proper place for all of that, and the Winters here are never going to go away or get more mild. . . maybe finally I need to bite the bullet. . . .

Last edited by epowell on Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Is Tarping a bad idea? Reply with quote

epowell wrote:
Wildthings wrote:

Some people report very good success with tarping rigs, multi layers should help here.

You mean there IS a way to "properly" tarp a van?

People claim success with doing so. A search should turn up their ideas.

As for multiple layers, they trap air between them insulating the van somewhat.
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Is Tarping a bad idea? Reply with quote

Merian wrote:
that will soften up the neighbors for when he builds a carport out of the tarp and some tree limbs

DAMN! No THAT solves my predicament for how to build the bloody garage CHEAP! Very Happy THANKS BRO! Very Happy

...actually if you notice the little path infront of the van, that is a little path leading to our PUB that we have on the main floor. One huge reason to tarp the van is that I don't like the idea of "pub-people" continuously passing my van - in fact, when I recently got back from 4 weeks in Vancouver when I had left the van un protected - there were all sorts or weird things with the van, like VW emblems pulled off, and pen writing in the mirrors etc...
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Is Tarping a bad idea? Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:

so the mulitple layers will prevent condensation INSIDE the van, thereby preventing molding inside? But what about the trapped moisture on the body?
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Is Tarping a bad idea? Reply with quote

epowell wrote:
Wildthings wrote:

so the mulitple layers will prevent condensation INSIDE the van, thereby preventing molding inside? But what about the trapped moisture on the body?

Maybe use bubble wrap under the tarp or something. Don't get me wrong, I am not an advocate (and certainly not an expert) for tarping a vehicle, but I am willing to believe that some people have good results doing so.

My rigs sit outside all winter long parked pretty much wherever they were left the last time they were driven. If they are known to leak I will try to position them so that the water will drain but that is about all I do. I do find the idea of putting a tarp under the vehicle to be a joke, any and every place I have ever lived the wind blows at least sometimes when it rains or snows so water is going to end up sitting on the top of the tarp totally defeating the reason for having a tarp there in the first place. To me it would be much preferred that the water drains into the soil verses sitting on top of the tarp.
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Is Tarping a bad idea? Reply with quote

Best = Heated garage with Argon atmosphere
Next Best = Heated garage
Next = parked on slab with cover on framework over van
Next = parked on gravel with tarp under van
Next = parked on short grass with cover on framework over van

Worst = parked on unmowed grass

no matter what type of tarp you use, do not let the tarp twerk
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Is Tarping a bad idea? Reply with quote

Yeah, my understanding of GoreTex is that it will allow water vapor from the warmer side of the membrane through (a human body), but not allow water drops in from the outside where it is wet with unvaporized water. But this transfer wont happen if say, you lay a cover of GoreTex on a wet car body as there is no air space for suspended water vapor to exist in that would pass through it. It's only going to function as Goretex where there is a volume of air on the vehicle side. It will still work, but with vast areas of the car cover laying directly against the sheetmetal or glass, only a smaller % of the cover will function to allow vapor through. Though a sunny day would probably successfully vaporize water everywhere under there. Dunno. Interesting application for it. Best scenario would be using something to create air space under it everywhere possible.

I agree on the caution against tarping. I have a heart breaking story that taught me not to do it. I had a 70 Pontiac Lemans Sport Convertible I hauled around the country in a few corporate moves. One day I parked it on a buddy's ranch, intending to restore it later. I drove it onto a huge tarp and wrapped this up and over the car. Then a second tarp from the top down. I secured the edges against snow accumulation, etc. A year later when I took the tarp off to move it indoors it was in sad shape. Moisture gets in - an absolute and unassailable fact of outdoor storage. With a tarp it cannot readily get out. I created lots of problems for myself.

Anyhow, don't heavily tarp a vehicle. Better to have some type of cover with an air space.
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:15 am    Post subject: Re: Is Tarping a bad idea? Reply with quote

Merian wrote:
tarp twerk

whats a tarp twerk?
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:21 am    Post subject: Re: Is Tarping a bad idea? Reply with quote

IdahoDoug wrote:

Anyhow, don't heavily tarp a vehicle. Better to have some type of cover with an air space.

Wow, sad story...

In my case it was in no way AIR TIGHT, there had to be a way for the cat to get under there Smile ...but, I sure wish I had asked you guys before even BUYING this huge expensive tarp.

My thoughts now are in the direction of building at least a carport.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: Is Tarping a bad idea? Reply with quote

Yep, Get yourself some cheap metal piping and use that nice tarp to make a carport.... Very Happy

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: Is Tarping a bad idea? Reply with quote

epowell wrote:
IdahoDoug wrote:

Wow, sad story...

In my case it was in no way AIR TIGHT, there had to be a way for the cat to get under there Smile ...but, I sure wish I had asked you guys before even BUYING this huge expensive tarp.

My thoughts now are in the direction of building at least a carport.

Actually going to the ground the way you did is bad as it does inhibit air flow under the van so water from the ground could easily condense on the underside of the van or anywhere under the tarp. No you did not seal it to the ground, but you did inhibit the flow of air.
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: Is Tarping a bad idea? Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:

Actually going to the ground the way you did is bad as it does inhibit air flow under the van so water from the ground could easily condense on the underside of the van or anywhere under the tarp. No you did not seal it to the ground, but you did inhibit the flow of air.

I had a good feel around down there on the underside of the van and it all felt really nice and dry. Luckily here in Czech we have had drought for the last couple of years, so the earth is super dry... very little moisture coming off of that ground, lucky for me.

Anyhow I made a mistake for sure... NOT to be repeated!!
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 2:43 am    Post subject: Re: Is Tarpping a bad idea? Reply with quote

Jeffrey Lee wrote:

Lower passenger-side windshield seal. A common place for a leak, especially if the seal is original/old.

At the very least, pull the rubber lip back and peer in there with a bright light and look for water and rust. Dry it and apply a good windshield sealant like 3M 8509.

Eventually you may have to remove the whole seal and replace, and you will likely find you'll need to do rust repair. Search the archives.

"rubber lip back and peer in there" (???) Do you mean I can partially remove the seal?

Is it possible to apply 3M 8509 to stop the leak WITHOUT having to remove the entire windshield - - - at least as a temp. fix?
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Is Tarping a bad idea? Reply with quote

I am back to thinking about different ways to protect my van from rain, weather, and leaves... different van, different country but the challenge is the same.

What I have found, however, in the last 5 years is that leaving a van outside without any protection is not really so bad. Nothing really bad happens - and that is saying a lot considering the horror stories we hear about tarping disasters.

That being said some moisture does get in (I use MOISTURE GRABBERS with good success), and have now left my Vancouver van on gravel, under a tree, now 3 times for 11 months each time, and nothing really bad happens. Probably a few spots of external rust around the windows gets worse more quickly - but not such a big deal. However I do take up all flooring and put sticks of wood under all carpeting in case moisture collection there -the air flow will dry it out.

MY QUESTION NOW, is how would it work to just put a small tarp over the front half of the van. The reason is that the front seems to get a lot of leaves and sap from trees falling on it... the back part of the van is unaffected by this. So I figure that if only half of the van has a tarp - the there will not be any molding issues because there will still be lots of air flow.

Any thoughts?

PS - I will do my best to trim these trees looming overhead.

djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Is Tarping a bad idea? Reply with quote

There is a late year Bay Westy across the Delaware near Riegelsville.
It used to sit under an open side barn but one winter….. the barn was no more.
They tarped it about 10 years ago.
The tarp rots? they put another on top of it.

The weeds around the Bus are so high that you would not see it if you didn’t know it is there.
Go Figure…….
I shudder at the rot and mouse infestation that old Bay must have by now!
I don’t even want to think about it!

Oh well…….. there goes another one!

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Is Tarping a bad idea? Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
There is a late year Bay Westy across the Delaware near Riegelsville.
It used to sit under an open side barn but one winter….. the barn was no more.
They tarped it about 10 years ago.
The tarp rots? they put another on top of it.
Go Figure…….
I shudder at the rot and mouse infestation that old Bay must have by now!
I don’t even want to think about it!

Oh well…….. there goes another one!

Dave

Yeah.... I only revive this topic because I ran into a friend who said he owns a camperized school-bus. It is too long to drive in the city so he said he has it in storage over on an island.... he says that he has it loosely tarped for many years without problems.
So that got me thinking again.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Is Tarping a bad idea? Reply with quote

Loosely tarped is like an open shed, air circulates around it.

Ground moisture is still a major concern though.

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: