Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Color question- Reseda or Pastel Green?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
disneyherbie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:13 pm    Post subject: Color question- Reseda or Pastel Green? Reply with quote

Bit the bullet today and bought a split. I've been looking for a solid driver for months now and prices don't seem to be going down anytime soon. This one is a Jan 52 build. It's not perfect, but a great foundation and I think the price was very fair. The car is solid but will definitely require some attention and tracking down some correct parts. My question is what color is this car? Here's a dash shot.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Looking at pictures it seems to be too light for Pastel Green (could just be the pic or the lighting I guess) but from what I've read on other threads Reseda was only used for verts. Any truth to this? Thanks! Gonna do my best to return this one to its former glory...

Last edited by disneyherbie on Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:17 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
IN2VWS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Color question- Reseda or Pastel Green? Reply with quote

From what I have read in the garwood book, L11 Pastel green, L13 Medium green and L14 Reseda Green was used on sedans in 1951.
Verts used L19 Atlantic green.

Someone will chime in if that book is wrong.
⨴⨵--⊗--⨴⨵ 𝕊ℙ𝟚¹⁹⁷³
𝟵_𝟭_𝟰¹⁹⁷³
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Color question- Reseda or Pastel Green? Reply with quote

based on that one picture, it looks like pastel green to me. More pictures would be helpful.

Welcome to the club!

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld
disneyherbie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Color question- Reseda or Pastel Green? Reply with quote

Thanks man!

The ad is already pulled down but there's still some pics at this link. The car for sure needs some help. And even though the engine isn't original, I think it's a fair buy at 25k. There seems to be a huge chasm between 15k basket cases and 60k show cars, and this one ticked the right boxes for me...

http://barnfinds.com/mikes-split-window-1952-vw-beetle/
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Color question- Reseda or Pastel Green? Reply with quote

the car has been repainted. You can see the original paint on the door jams. The exterior paint is lighter than the original paint which still looks like pastel green to me.

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld
disneyherbie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Color question- Reseda or Pastel Green? Reply with quote

Ok cool. Thanks for confirming that splitjunkie! The car def had a poor respray at some point along with the "updating" of lights that was common of older cars while still in Germany. I'm told this car came over from Europe later on in life. Once I get all of the correct parts collected for the car I'll start thinking about a proper coat of Pastel Green. Kinda looking forward to driving it as is in the meantime...
FRK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Color question- Reseda or Pastel Green? Reply with quote

I have an original paint L11 Pastel Green split. I got the birth certificate that confirms the color. Here are a few pictures.

50 11A
49 11
48 11
RVA Car Club
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
disneyherbie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Color question- Reseda or Pastel Green? Reply with quote

Awesome color on a split for sure. Much better than the washed out shade that's on mine currently! Thanks for the pics FRK. Nice rare bits on that split you've got...
FRK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Color question- Reseda or Pastel Green? Reply with quote

disneyherbie wrote:
Awesome color on a split for sure. Much better than the washed out shade that's on mine currently! Thanks for the pics FRK. Nice rare bits on that split you've got...

Thanks!
I'm sure the original paint is under that respray on your split. When you get it try to remove the top layer of paint in one small area maybe you can see the original paint.
50 11A
49 11
48 11
RVA Car Club
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
disneyherbie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 4:04 am    Post subject: Re: Color question- Reseda or Pastel Green? Reply with quote

That's my hope. I'd much prefer to salvage the OG paint than redo the exterior again. I've had luck with stripping back paint on other cars I own in the past. Maybe my luck will hold true with this one too...
pastellgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 4:40 am    Post subject: Re: Color question- Reseda or Pastel Green? Reply with quote

Pastelgreen is my absolute favourite colour for export splits, but the most hard to take nice pictures from. I got a sample of it on a sheet, inside with shiny electrical light it looks very dark, outside with natural light it is a nice green and shiny colour.
coolparts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Color question- Reseda or Pastel Green? Reply with quote

Original color on my car was L13 medium green

pastellgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: Color question- Reseda or Pastel Green? Reply with quote

Interesting!

Would like to see a picture with three cars L11, L13, L14 side by side
overrestored
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: Color question- Reseda or Pastel Green? Reply with quote

I would say your car looks like worn and faded Pastel Green.

send off for the certificate from VW... that will tell you for certain.

I painted this PreA 356 VW Glasurit Pastel Green

Dash and Door tops inside were a darker green... vw L240 Agave Green

One cool crazy cat
a yard full of fruit trees
26 chairs for some reason
a crapload of old shoes
a lot of books on history of the Mexican Ranchos
200+ kamax bolts... stacked in rows
twinwindows
Samba Pimp

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Color question- Reseda or Pastel Green? Reply with quote

I did a 1949 back in the day and painted it Reseda Green L14. It took a few mixes to get the color just rite and in the end it did.

CHRISTINE
GFK LIFER!

myzamboni wrote:
Yeah, everyone's now doing it GFK style . . . everythinig is covert until the finished product is revealed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
disneyherbie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Color question- Reseda or Pastel Green? Reply with quote

Thanks guys for the encouraging words. I definitely think this car is worthy of being put back to 100%. The 16's, a pair of proper rear fenders, and the correct tail lights are the main needs at this point. I've been looking fairly seriously now for the last 6-9 months, and there just haven't been a whole lot of middle of the road "drive while you tinker" splits on the market. At 25k, I feel this was a fair price for this particular car-taking into account the very minimal rust on the car, and its overall original/unmolested interior. I really feel I was at a crossroads with the price trends I've seen with recent split sales. It was now or never, so I'm glad I jumped on this one. It's not perfect, but it's the best car that fit into my current budget without having to say goodbye to any of the other cars in my fleet.

pastellgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Color question- Reseda or Pastel Green? Reply with quote

twinwindows wrote:
I did a 1949 back in the day and painted it Reseda Green L14. It took a few mixes to get the color just rite and in the end it did.

This colour looks very close to pearlgrey
usariemen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Color question- Reseda or Pastel Green? Reply with quote

Nico1981 wrote:

This colour looks very close to pearlgrey

Err, no? It´s green.
The bumper is grey.
33woodie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Color question- Reseda or Pastel Green? Reply with quote

Below is a shot of my '52 Karmann that is L14 Reseda. Below that is a picture of my '50 11G that is L11 Pastel green. As you can see, the Reseda is much lighter then the Pastel. Both cars were painted with the similar brand and type of paint also.

'72 Porsche 911S Albert Blue/Red leather
'11 Porsche Carrera 4S Black
IN2VWS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Color question- Reseda or Pastel Green? Reply with quote

Nico1981 wrote:
Interesting!

Would like to see a picture with three cars L11, L13, L14 side by side

Don't have pics of cars....nor a chip of L13

⨴⨵--⊗--⨴⨵ 𝕊ℙ𝟚¹⁹⁷³
𝟵_𝟭_𝟰¹⁹⁷³
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: