Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Stereo Toggle Switch....wiring assistance please!
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mountain1.8t
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 3:47 pm    Post subject: Stereo Toggle Switch....wiring assistance please! Reply with quote

I'm installing a stereo wire switch so I can run the stereo when the key is not in the ignition....I picked up this SPDT lighted switch that fits perfectly in the old rear heater control face plate.

I wired to yellow constant and red signal on the stereo, and solid black on the ignition. When I hook them up, the switch light stays on very dim at all switch positions. I tried with and without running a ground wire to the 4th switch terminal, but the light stays on. Otherwise, the switch works as it's supposed to in terms of turning the stereo on.

How do I wire it so the light turns on only on the "on position"?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Stereo Toggle Switch....wiring assistance please! Reply with quote

The package the switch came with should have a wiring diagram or tell you what posts are what. You just have the connections wrong.

You really don't need a double throw switch either. Not sure how you have it wired.

The middle post should receive constant power. One side or the other should receive the lead(s) from your stereo. Ground probably goes to the fourth post. The light should be off when the rocker is in the middle (off position).
Mountain1.8t
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Stereo Toggle Switch....wiring assistance please! Reply with quote

PDXWesty wrote:
The package the switch came with should have a wiring diagram or tell you what posts are what. You just have the connections wrong.

You really don't need a double throw switch either. Not sure how you have it wired.

The middle post should receive constant power. One side or the other should receive the lead(s) from your stereo. Ground probably goes to the fourth post. The light should be off when the rocker is in the middle (off position).

That's what I tried, but for some reason it turns the stereo in both on positions when the key is out. I can hear the fuel pump turn on and dash lights light up in one of the on positions as well.

I might just try to return this switch for one without a light.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Stereo Toggle Switch....wiring assistance please! Reply with quote

It's been a while, but I think I wired the center post to the stereo switched (as opposed to the constant) wire, and then one pole to constant 12v and the other to keyed 12v. That way you toggle between the two poles and send their respective sources to the stereo via the center post.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
greebly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Stereo Toggle Switch....wiring assistance please! Reply with quote

Double pole single throw switch (DPST) center to red wire of radio, one side (I prefer the off or bottom position) to an ignition point. The other side to fuse 3 (5 amp) source for the radio and cigarette lighter. The radio yellow wire should also be connected directly to the fuse #3 circuit to provide memory to the radio.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Stereo Toggle Switch....wiring assistance please! Reply with quote

you can use the key in ignition facility built in to most Vans too

where did you buy that switch?
Mountain1.8t
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Stereo Toggle Switch....wiring assistance please! Reply with quote

Merian wrote:
you can use the key in ignition facility built in to most Vans too

where did you buy that switch?

The switch is from an RV and boat shop in town...made by Sea Dog Line.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Stereo Toggle Switch....wiring assistance please! Reply with quote

Not all stereos use the same wire colors, some are reversed for some reason. Crying or Very sad

Yes the center post goes to the stereo.

Without seeing a wiring diagram for the switch I can't say how and when the light should come on. Unless it is a fairly low wattage LED you don't want it to come on when the stereo is off but to come on when the switch is thrown so the stereo is on with the ignition off. This willo give you warning you are running down your battery. It is fine if the light also comes on when the stereo is one with the ignition on but this is neither here nor there as far as running the battery down.
Butcher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: Stereo Toggle Switch....wiring assistance please! Reply with quote

An Ohm meter will surely help you more than us.
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: Stereo Toggle Switch....wiring assistance please! Reply with quote

[quote="Running_Man"]
PDXWesty wrote:
... I might just try to return this switch for one without a light.

The light is a good idea. A bright red or amber light might save a battery drain.
The scenario:
You have the stereo switch on and the stereo is playing. Someone talks to you, but the stereo is a bit loud and you turn the volume down. You don't turn the volume back up and when you shutdown the engine the stereo is still on. You don't drive the car for a few days and the battery gets drained by the stereo. A bright light may have prevented this. AMHIK

There are other postings that detail and discuss hot wiring the stereo.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...mp;start=0
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=618142&highlight=
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=352540&highlight=radio+wiring

thatvwbusguy wrote,"There is no need to tap into any other wires to power your stereo.
You can use one of the "P" connectors on the left hand side of the fuse block. These connectors are always hot and are perfect for accessories like aftermarket stereos."

There are several sizes and styles of lighted rocker switches. Brighter is better. I've found that the bulbs were dim and went bad after a short time in the smaller rectangular ones. The best replacement was an oval lens, but the base fit in the rectangular hole.

Aloha
tp
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: Stereo Toggle Switch....wiring assistance please! Reply with quote

greebly wrote:
Double pole single throw switch (DPST) center to red wire of radio, one side (I prefer the off or bottom position) to an ignition point. The other side to fuse 3 (5 amp) source for the radio and cigarette lighter. The radio yellow wire should also be connected directly to the fuse #3 circuit to provide memory to the radio.

Yes, this is the correct wiring for switching between ignition source and constant source. I didn't realize that was the goal. The wiring I suggested was for simple on/off operation.
Signalocity
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Stereo Toggle Switch....wiring assistance please! Reply with quote

So I am getting ready to tackle this in a week or so and seemed to remember reading that it was possible to use a SPST (which is the style of rocker switch that I happen to have) to switch between constant and switched power for running the radio without the key in the ignition. Wouldn't this back charge the switched wire when running in constant mode? would that affect anything?
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Stereo Toggle Switch....wiring assistance please! Reply with quote

A SPST switch could definitely back power the fuse box if you wire constant power to it and attach it to the switched stereo power wire.
A on/on switch(SPDT) is best to wire up the stereo where the switch can supply either switched power(car on) or constant power(car off) to the stereo.
Like already stated above the center leg at the back of the switch goes to the stereo power(not memory) with constant and switched power going to the other 2 legs.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Stereo Toggle Switch....wiring assistance please! Reply with quote

Signalocity wrote:
So I am getting ready to tackle this in a week or so and seemed to remember reading that it was possible to use a SPST (which is the style of rocker switch that I happen to have) to switch between constant and switched power for running the radio without the key in the ignition. Wouldn't this back charge the switched wire when running in constant mode? would that affect anything?

You could use a diode to prevent feedback to the ignition, but it would be easier to just get a SPDT switch and use it.
Signalocity
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 6:16 am    Post subject: Re: Stereo Toggle Switch....wiring assistance please! Reply with quote

syncrodoka wrote:
A SPST switch could definitely back power the fuse box if you wire constant power to it and attach it to the switched stereo power wire.
A on/on switch(SPDT) is best to wire up the stereo where the switch can supply either switched power(car on) or constant power(car off) to the stereo.
Like already stated above the center leg at the back of the switch goes to the stereo power(not memory) with constant and switched power going to the other 2 legs.

Wildthings wrote:
Signalocity wrote:

You could use a diode to prevent feedback to the ignition, but it would be easier to just get a SPDT switch and use it.

Thanks guys, that's what I figured. Just wishful thinking lol.
Chilepines
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: Stereo Toggle Switch....wiring assistance please! Reply with quote

Reviving an old thread. I'm trying to get my radio onto a toggle switch but powered from the house battery via a fuse panel. Just tried hooking it up and found that the original VW radio connector does not have the red keyed power source wire connected to anything. PO had it running with key on power wire connected to constant voltage yellow wire - it was working that way but causing battery drain.
Where is that red keyed power wire supposed to come from? Looking at the GoWesty toggle instructions there should be both a red keyed power source AND either black or grey/black from the ignition switch. I'd like to simply get things running from the ignition switch first, and then deal with the toggle later!
dubbified
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Stereo Toggle Switch....wiring assistance please! Reply with quote

I liked this idea.. but I went with a single relay from my house battery and power the stereo and amp..

Simple..

Is there a reason you wish to complicate it?
Chilepines
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Stereo Toggle Switch....wiring assistance please! Reply with quote

Definitely not looking to complicate it. I thought it was simple until I found no ignition wire!

Timothy sent me this nice set of instructions on adding a relay, but this still requires an ignition trigger and some fiddling in the fuse panel:
http://www.weidefamily.net/vanagon/HTML/04/09/01.html

So how does your simple relay get triggered?
dubbified
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Stereo Toggle Switch....wiring assistance please! Reply with quote

Sure!

WAIT.. how do you start your engine, if you say you dont have a ignition lead?

On the cars I've seen ignition leads come from huge 10ga power to the ignition, under the driver's steering wheel, the ignition switch.. then route sin some way to the alternator and IIRC.. the distributor? Unsure what you meant by cant find it? Bentley shows where they are, but not even using a book or cracking the console.. (I am lazy) drop the fuse block.. also they're found on the back of the fuse panel.. commonly its a 12 or 14 ga solid black wire with a yellow stripe you seek. Test it without the key on, then again when you Put the key in, turned to accessory position, test a system using a voltmeter or a Noid light (two leads with a light, that tell you if its seeing throughput).. you would be able to use empirical evidence that it is either switched or it is not. Then, tap it when you find it and you have ignition tapped power for your relay. Tee taps are easy, clamshell around the lead, slide on a insulated butt connector to that. route the wire to whereever.. powering your relay, which powers your stereo.. I think its ideal to dump a relay into a fuse panel, and use that to connect a stereo to.. personal preference.

I try to keep it simple. I am reorienting my setup to keep aall aux systems on the house battery, not the vehicle primary battery.

I do not use "ignition" power to supply signal to a switch for my relay. I think this is where our cases might differ?

In my previous configuration, I dropped a 12ga primary lead from the old interstate 100ah house battery, to a 5 amp ATO/ATC inline fuse, to the lit switch (so you know its on), our to the 40 amp relay, which pulls power from the house battery on 8ga wire (supports 40 amp) and dumps to the fuseblock I put in, then my stereo on one ATC/ATO fuse, and split out the other things on the other fuse panel slots, a dedicated lead out to my eberspacher diesel heater, another to the white and RGB interior cabin lights, one to the exterior lights atop the van, underneath the van, even some to the city lights on the headlights.. and one the trigger to all outside lights separately when the ignition is not on, and even a trigges the relay that powers the freight train horn (for security sakes)

It is a Stebel Nautilus.. 115decibel, it will cause hearing loss your ears if you are less than 5 feet away.
Chilepines
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Stereo Toggle Switch....wiring assistance please! Reply with quote

I do have ignition; I’m referring to the red keyed power wire that tells the stereo to turn on.
So if you don’t use ignition power to trigger the relay, what do you use? Sorry I’m being dense about this - relays are new to me.

Here is the wiring diagram I came up with - unfortunately I didn’t anticipate the switched power need for the stereo.

Sound like my plan is overall similar to yours.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: