Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Newbie Super Beetle question
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bellows87
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 5:05 am    Post subject: Newbie Super Beetle question Reply with quote

Hi Everyone,

New to the site. I got myself a 1970's 1302. It needs work. I keep being told its very rare and people didn't think one of them still existed. Is there anyway i can check this? As i currently using it as a doner. I don't want a waste a Beetle unless i need to
67jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 5:42 am    Post subject: Re: Newbie Super Beetle question Reply with quote

there were 883,847 1302's made in 1971 and 885,756 made in 1972, the only years of 1302's. '73 the super beetle was redesigned and is refereed to as 1303. based on the production numbers, is it rare? you decide.
bnam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 5:45 am    Post subject: Re: Newbie Super Beetle question Reply with quote

The 1302 was built for 2 model years 1971 and 72. Plenty of them were made. Whether they are rare -- depends on where you are.

http://www.superbeetles.com/history.htm
Volks Wagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 5:47 am    Post subject: Re: Newbie Super Beetle question Reply with quote

Bellows87 wrote:
Hi Everyone,

New to the site. I got myself a 1970's 1302. It needs work. I keep being told its very rare and people didn't think one of them still existed. Is there anyway i can check this? As i currently using it as a doner. I don't want a waste a Beetle unless i need to

Sell it at a premium price to one of the people who think it's really rare.

I'm definitely, probably, the worlds greatest lover.

Aithníonn ciaróg ciaróg eile.
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: Newbie Super Beetle question Reply with quote

In general, I don't see many classic Beetles driving down the road anymore. It is always a delight to see one still on the road. So in that sense they are "rare" to most who recall them being everywhere on the roads... remember playing "punch buggy" with your brother/sister?

Are Beetles rare in the sense that only a few were produced during any given year? Probably not. VW produced more than 1-million Type1s during some years.
The 1967-earlier models are even more difficult to find in good shape. 1967 was a one-year-only model that has always been one of my favorites as the transition between old and new body styles. I regret not buying that all original RHD '67 Beetle while I was in Japan, but $20K was a bit steep.

I think people feel classic Beetles are rare because you don't see them on the roads, in the newspaper classifieds or car trader rags anymore. You need to seek out specialized sites like TheSamba to find some for sale.

I guess there is a big difference between rare and valuable.
Be happy that people recognize your car and feel they are "rare". If you keep it in excellent shape long enough... maybe it will eventually become valuable too.
http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/2015/04/21/1963...on-record/
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}

Last edited by ashman40 on Sun Jan 24, 2016 11:47 am; edited 1 time in total
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: Newbie Super Beetle question Reply with quote

I own a 1974 1303 (Sunbug). It is quite rare, but many people prefer the flat-window Super Beetles, because they look more like a standard.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
vugbug68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie Super Beetle question Reply with quote

I probably see just as many 1302's as 1303's they're not rare in California, The main reason I got a 1302 is for the dash, Porsche tach fits right in the speedo hole Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BUGGED11111
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie Super Beetle question Reply with quote

Depends where you look. Not rare where I live on the west coast, I see more than 1 everyday.

Oddly I used to travel to Germany several times a year and it was unusual to see a Bug of any type on the road.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: Newbie Super Beetle question Reply with quote

I think they were ALL pretty much one-year-only models. Very Happy

mark tucker wrote:
I wouldent waste $ or thyme on building a small motor. build it big so it dosent have to work hard.remember it's only as fast as your foot alows it to be unless you build a small turd then it just stinks as it squishes up through your toes when you step on it.
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: Newbie Super Beetle question Reply with quote

Tim Donahoe wrote:
I own a 1974 1303 (Sunbug). It is quite rare, but many people prefer the flat-window Super Beetles, because they look more like a standard.

Tim

Tim, I'll trade you my 1302 for your 1303, straight up! Very Happy

Victor

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
Mos6502
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: Newbie Super Beetle question Reply with quote

SBD wrote:

Yeah when you think about how many changes VW made a year, they're pretty much all one-year-only models. Some changes were just more conspicuous than others.
SBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: Newbie Super Beetle question Reply with quote

Mos6502 wrote:
SBD wrote:

Yeah when you think about how many changes VW made a year, they're pretty much all one-year-only models. Some changes were just more conspicuous than others.
That, plus the next year was the next year. Very Happy Except for the last year US verts? Seems like maybe they didn't change those. Confused

mark tucker wrote:
I wouldent waste $ or thyme on building a small motor. build it big so it dosent have to work hard.remember it's only as fast as your foot alows it to be unless you build a small turd then it just stinks as it squishes up through your toes when you step on it.
69Mexbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: Newbie Super Beetle question Reply with quote

I believe thats the flat window super. They are still plenty of them where i live in Southern California, a few meters from the border. I gotta say im not a huge fan of the SB but I do prefer the 1302 over the 1303. Curved window isnt my stuff for a bug. I've seen some really nice 1302 here! i'd say you keep it!
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie Super Beetle question Reply with quote

My curved window doesn't bug me. The body style on the 1973+ is pretty much buggy, notwithstanding. The curved window does help to cut the wind a bit, too.

And Victor, I just got new inner tie rod ends (outers were replaced fairly recently, too), new ball joints, new control-arm bushings, etc., two new tires to replace the out-of-round fairly-new ones I had, and an OEM sports rim (in transit), so I'm not feeling like a trade is in my near future. Besides, your bug looks pretty good to me.

As far as people in Germany not being too enthused about classic bugs, I can only. assume that their mindset is somewhat different than here in the U.S. They think of an automobile as a means to travel, whereas we allow for the "hobby" aspect of classic bug ownership to give us a different opinion.

Once they shrugged off the disastrous economic effects of WWII, they wanted a bit more than a simple, basic "people's car".

Tim

Richard O'Brien
Dwayne1m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie Super Beetle question Reply with quote

Tim Donahoe wrote:

As far as people in Germany not being too enthused about classic bugs, I can only. assume that their mindset is somewhat different than here in the U.S. They think of an automobile as a means to travel, whereas we allow for the "hobby" aspect of classic bug ownership to give us a different opinion.

Once they shrugged off the disastrous economic effects of WWII, they wanted a bit more than a simple, basic "people's car".

Tim

I read an article not long ago that said the general atmosphere in Germany is not very nostalgic. They don't cling to or collect anything. Maybe collecting "things" is just an American ideal.
Mos6502
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie Super Beetle question Reply with quote

You'll find lots of collectors in Germany. The attitude towards the beetle in particular may be somewhat different than it is here because over there it is a domestic car, and they continued selling them for years after they stopped selling them here. I would think they're just not nostalgic for the later years. Funny thing, my first time in Germany, on my first day in Munich, I spotted a really nice split parked on the street.
Gerrelt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 2:16 am    Post subject: Re: Newbie Super Beetle question Reply with quote

I've been on weekend holidays in Germany in our 1303 Super beetle. I live in the Netherlands. We get more admiring looks and thumbs up in Germany then in the Netherlands. Cool
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bellows87
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: Newbie Super Beetle question Reply with quote

I'm from the uk. I don't understand when people say it can only be 71 and 72 as on vw heritage site it states from aug 1970. Plus my log book is 1970..
Bit of a mind mess
thank you for your help though
SBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: Newbie Super Beetle question Reply with quote

Bellows87 wrote:
I'm from the uk. I don't understand when people say it can only be 71 and 72 as on vw heritage site it states from aug 1970. Plus my log book is 1970..
Bit of a mind mess
The flat windshield Super Beetle (1302) was only produced as a 1971 or 1972 model year vehicle. Production of 1971 model year vehicles started in late 1970. Cool

mark tucker wrote:
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: Newbie Super Beetle question Reply with quote

SBD wrote:
Bellows87 wrote:
Bit of a mind mess
The flat windshield Super Beetle (1302) was only produced as a 1971 or 1972 model year vehicle. Production of 1971 model year vehicles started in late 1970. Cool

I'm not very good at the cut and paste. Look below and compare these chassis numbers to your VIN number. Following year production begins Aug. 1st.
July 110 3 097 085
110 3 097 086
110 3 097 087
110 3 097 088
110 3 097 089 L0 025 858 Last Engine of L series 1500 low octane M240
E0 021 603 Last Engine of E series 1300 low octane M240
B6 440 900 Last engine of B6 series 1600 SP- USA
H1 259 314 Last engine of H1 series 1500 SP
F2 140 820 Last engine of F2 series 1300 SP
Aug 1 111 2 000 001
111 2 000 002
111 2 000 003
111 2 000 008
111 2 000 009
111 2 000 010 D0 675 001 - 1200/34bhp DIN - 40HP SAE gross
AB 000 001 - 1300/44bhp DIN - 52HP SAE gross
AD 000 001 - 1600/50bhp DIN - 60HP SAE gross
AE 000 001 - 1600/50bhp DIN - 60HP SAE gross - USA
AC 000 001 - 1300/40bhP DIN (low octane)
AF 000 001 - 1600/46bhp DIN (low octane)
Good Luck.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: