Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Andrew Hartlett - [email protected] - Scammer
Forum Index -> Buyer and Seller Feedback Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rcroane Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 4:20 pm    Post subject: Andrew Hartlett - [email protected] - Scammer Reply with quote

Beware of buying anything from this guy. I don't think he's a Samba member, but he answered one of my WTB ads for a license plate frame. I paid him $88 via MoneyGram (only thing he would accept). After a few days, he writes and says he won't sell me just the one frame like we agreed. Says I would now have to buy two frames for $190. Good news is that he hadn't picked up the money yet and I promptly cancelled the money order for a full refund.
campingbox Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Andrew Hartlett - Bait and switch seller Reply with quote

He contacted me as well but never followed up when I asked for pictures of the item he offered me.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Andrew Hartlett - [email protected] - Scammer Reply with quote

This person is a scammer that I banned from the site.

Occasionally there are people who email tons of people offering parts they do not have.
Often they use photos stolen from the Internet to try to trick you.

Be wary of anyone who will only take a MoneyGram and cannot provide detailed photos of a part.
If you are concerned, you can also use Google Image Search to reverse-image search photos they send you.
If they pop up everywhere, they are most likely stolen and the person is a scammer.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rcroane Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: Andrew Hartlett - [email protected] - Scammer Reply with quote

Thanks, Everett. I feel like a total fool Embarassed

There were SO many red flags......

1) The picture he sent was the one in my WTB ad (before you laugh too hard, I pulled the photo off the internet and thought it was just a coincidence that it was his);

2) He kept calling me "buddy";

3) He would only accept MoneyGram;

4) He told me to send the money to his fiancee.

Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed I feel VERY lucky I was able to get my money back.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: Andrew Hartlett - [email protected] - Scammer Reply with quote

Don't feel bad, I have seen this happen a bunch of times in the past.

I feel bad because I thought I had emailed everyone who had been contacted but maybe the automated email from the site didn't get to some people for some reason.

Thanks for the longer description on how he sounded and what he did - this may help others identify these things in the future.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
campingbox Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Andrew Hartlett - [email protected] - Scammer Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:

I feel bad because I thought I had emailed everyone who had been contacted but maybe the automated email from the site didn't get to some people for some reason.

Thanks for the longer description on how he sounded and what he did - this may help others identify these things in the future.

I did not get an automated email from the site.

-----

Hi Andrew,
Sounds good. Can you send me photos? Where are you located?
Regards,
Greg

Sent from my iPhone

> On Jan 19, 2016, at 12:12 AM, andrew harlett <supersamba@thesamba.com> wrote:
>
> A visitor to TheSamba.com has replied to your ad for:
> [WTB] Wanted; Large San Francisco plate frame Price: $1000 each?
> at: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=882329
> and sent the following message:
> *********************************************
>
> Contact: andrew harlett - [email protected]
> Buyer location: 79039
>
> i have a pair of 1955 Large San Francisco plate frame for sale.kindly reply via my mail if you're still interested
>
> This message was not sent by a registered user
rcroane Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Andrew Hartlett - [email protected] - Scammer Reply with quote

I'm going to mess with Andrew a bit. I wrote him back and apologized for being harsh on him for the bait and switch. I told him I will take both frames. He wrote back and said to send him the money. I told him to send me a photo of the second frame. If he sends it, I'm going to send him a bogus MoneyGram reference number.
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Andrew Hartlett - [email protected] - Scammer Reply with quote

really? move on, you were lucky to get your money back.
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rcroane Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Andrew Hartlett - [email protected] - Scammer Reply with quote

You're right...good advice. I'll let it go.
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Andrew Hartlett - [email protected] - Scammer Reply with quote

Why not waste his time? The time he spends chasing this red herring is time he won't be spending trying to screw the next victim.
The more times he fails, the better chance he'll give up the scam.

rcroane wrote:
I'm going to send him a bogus MoneyGram reference number.

If you still have the paperwork for the first MG, scan it, photoshop in a fake ref number then after he says the number doesn't work take a photo of the doctored paperwork and send it to him. Make him work!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Andrew Hartlett - [email protected] - Scammer Reply with quote

campingbox wrote:
EverettB wrote:

I did not get an automated email from the site.

Weird, I have a record that you did as the site copies me on all the scam emails that go out to members and I can see one was sent to your email.

It must have gotten blocked for some reason.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Buyer and Seller Feedback All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: