Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1969 California Camper
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
69Weekender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 California Camper Reply with quote

General Stuff
Met up with two other bays to cruise to a nearby meet
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The Hightop won Best Bus

Ace Hardware parking lot picking up stuff:

The original hatch screen which I am still super excited about (especially because it came out of a 69) had multiple tears and one giant hole in the middle. I sewed up the rips and hole to the best of my ability

Lastly,
I ordered 6 cans of the Rustoleum Painter's Touch that is a close match to Lotus White a few days ago. I took the hatch off yesterday and prepped it with a little sanding, a little bondo, a little more sanding and finally paint. Also sanded and painted the latch in Dull Aluminium.

I also will be painting the interior with these rattle cans so I started with the back of the bus. I do not have any finished shots but I have the prep.

Until next time.
2015 Toyota Tacoma V6 4x4
Past:
01 Honda Insight, 06 Beetle TDI, 77 Toyota, 96 Geo Metro, 06 Tacoma, 13 Jetta Wagon, 05 Jetta, 96 Corrado VR6
Other ICE Machinery: Alco 251F 16v & 8v
cbaucom1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 California Camper Reply with quote

Looking good!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 California Camper Reply with quote

If you are going to plug holes with filler - remove as much rust as possible, paint the metal hole inside out as much as possible with a brush on like rustoleum with oil and epoxy in it. Then get a better filler like Mar Glass - as its way more waterproof than regular bondo and has small fiberglass reinforcement fibers in it.

Just a little better tip to keep the holes plugged, keep the rust at bay for a bit and do it with a better product and prep.

That will keep your loaf a lot better longer.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
69Weekender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 California Camper Reply with quote

Been a little while, I just wanted to give a tiny update before I explain my absence and future plans.

Found curtains in my house, only had enough for the rear windows but I dig them (until I can make my own).

As you can also see in the first picture, I put jail bars in. I got a set for the rear windows for $20 off JGOR (I think).
A friend of mine wanted to paint the bus but didn't have a lot of paint. Here is the result.

Something to distract folks from all the rust!
Did a lot of hanging out this past weekend at the beach and just cruising around with my buddy Derick (69 bug).

Past:
01 Honda Insight, 06 Beetle TDI, 77 Toyota, 96 Geo Metro, 06 Tacoma, 13 Jetta Wagon, 05 Jetta, 96 Corrado VR6
69Weekender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 California Camper Reply with quote

Hello to all!
It's been quite a few months and I've gotten some things done on the bus.
Since I moved to college four hours away, I do not get a lot of time to work on the bus, but the times I have been home(Christmas break, spring break, etc) I work on and drive the bus. I never got around to updating the thread though.

Since October, I have continued working on the two cab doors, the red one has been painted and is ready for all the components to be put back on. The zebra door has been finished but does not line up right at all. The door is off a late bay and I have concluded that the body lines on later buses are very different or, at some point the donor bus was hit and it bowed the door. The body work has been an on and off process between my dad and I. The plan is to get the body "solid" and mostly straight and do a cheap paint job myself or hand the bus over to Maaco. This bus is not a show bus and will never be one so quality is not the top priority. Over spring break, I took the top of the dash off to remove the old wiper motor because it shorted out and was getting extremely hot. I figured since the dash top was off that it would be time to start going through as much wiring as I can.
Other than the not so big things I have done to the bus, I have been enjoying putting miles on her. Since my last update, Linda has made a trek to Bug Jam (about an hour each way)
Christmas parties

the beach

Camping

And sunset hangouts with my best friend

There is about a month until exams are over and I am back home working full time. In the next couple months, my dad and I will be tackling some big things and the bus will be off the road for hopefully less than a month but we will see. Thank you for following along!

I'm home from school this weekend so I will have more pictures tomorrow.
Enjoy,
Mitchell
Past:
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 California Camper Reply with quote

Looks like you are doing it. Keep doing it and post lots of pics Cool

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
69Weekender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 California Camper Reply with quote

Here is my second update!
Here's the current situation under dash. Contemplating about just getting a new harness from Wolfsburg West and replace the whole loom because a lot of those wires are not connected to anything and who knows if the right color wires are still in place.

The new curtains I ordered from a samba member came in and were installed.

More bondo and fiberglass (ouch I know) have been laid down on the nose, the area under the gas cap that was just a tacked in panel, some of the holes on the bottom of the slider and the big hole under the rearmost window.

The zebra door that had the alignment issue that I mentioned in my last post is pictured here.

Any guesses as to why?
My dad rebuilt the headbanger cabinet with his own touch, putting two speakers in there.

And lastly, I took an old sub box I had made for my first car and re-purposed it as a toolbox/equipment box.

Until next time.

Mitchell
Past:
69Weekender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 10:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 California Camper Reply with quote

Hello Samba members!
I come with updates, not many pictures though Embarassed

I have been home for almost 20 days now and I still have not driven the bus!
First, it would not start....found out it was just a wire that came unplugged.
But in the time that I was looking for the issue, I dropped the two front seats off to get reupholstered...I am very excited to get them back.

I rewired the entire stereo with a small, two-channel amp for the headbanger speakers. I think I will actually be able to hear the music while driving now!
I bought an eBay train horn (I do not have a horn at all and I think it will be funny) but I still have no idea if it works. I know I wired the relay right and all the grounds are good but I believe the switches I bought were garbage and I need to spend a few more dollars on a decent switch.

As I mentioned in previous posts, I have big plans with the old girl this summer. They may or may not all get done because of external, time constraining factors, but they will still bring me closer to my goal of a semi-"solid", dependable bus.
I decided to hold off on pulling the seals and engine because on June 3rd, Jimmy Buffet will be in town and I will be bringing the bus to tailgate!
After this, I will be spending the remainder of my free time, pulling the seals, getting new metal welded in, and a possible engine rebuild!

Some questions from a VW amateur like myself:
Looking at 1641cc builds because they seem easy enough (a buddy of mine just did one).
What are some of the pros and cons of a 1641?
Ballpark price for parts?
I will also be resealing the engine no matter if I do a rebuild or not but I figured it'll be out anyway (the engine), so why not?

I may post again before June 3rd, but I also may not.
Until then, find me wasting away in Margaritaville!

Mitchell
Past:
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 California Camper Reply with quote

Spend time in the performance engine transmission forum. You'll learn a lot about the 1641. Overall, for the cost and difficulty you mine as well go at least a little bigger.
Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cap10323
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 California Camper Reply with quote

Honestly, I love this thread/build. I know some of it's sort of a hack, but It was one of the first threads I read when I first joined. And the sort of 'baller on a budget' 'do it anyway' attitude you have to getting this bus 'restored' is just awesome.

I'm glad you didn't abandon the project.

'77 Westfalia - 2.0 F.I
69Weekender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 California Camper Reply with quote

Cap10323 wrote:
Honestly, I love this thread/build. I know some of it's sort of a hack, but It was one of the first threads I read when I first joined. And the sort of 'baller on a budget' 'do it anyway' attitude you have to getting this bus 'restored' is just awesome.

I'm glad you didn't abandon the project.

I appreciate the support! It hurts me a little bit everytime I "fix" something with bondo and fiberglass but one day my old lady will get new metal.
As a college student sometimes you just gotta do what you can.

Peace and love brother
Past:
WildIdea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 California Camper Reply with quote

Great thread to find. I really like the thought of having a bus to just use and not archive and protect all the time. Makeing a bus a a museum piece is cool but this guy is making memories that will last a lifetime. So cool.
Rodmullet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 California Camper Reply with quote

I am long past my college years, but not past "alternative" methods of accomplishing things on the bus.

If it keeps a bus on the road, or gets one on the road....that's a good thing!

I love restored busses....but they are just old busses, not Ferraris.

Good luck, keep it up, and keep us updated.

My interior...

Rod
69Weekender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 10:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 California Camper Reply with quote

Today I got the text that my seats were finally finished!
I loaded up the dog into my station wagon (Vw wagon I should add so my pictures doesn't get deleted), and off we went to get the new threads!
Got a great price and quality work!
Here is the final result:

I put about 50 miles on the seats and the bus today, it was the first time the ole' gal has been out and about. We went to see my buddies new 61 logo panel (pictures will probably appear in future posts).
I finished the wiring on my eBay train horn as well! It's good to finally have a horn! I will try and post a YouTube link if I can figure it out.
Lastly, my tribute to the late, great Gregg Allman....The Road Goes On Forever!

See you all on Sunday with my Jimmy Buffet tailgate pictures!
Past:
69Weekender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 California Camper Reply with quote

Hello everyone!

This should be a fun update.
For starters, Jimmy Buffet was awesome, great tailgating with great people!

I sent my wiper motor to Jbugs and it was rebuilt

Took the old bus out for a couple final drives because.......

On Father's Day, my dad and I pulled the engine!

I have spent some time pulling parts off one by one to clean and repaint or replace. Here is some progress on that:

Current state

Exhaust

A couple of the tins

The compression (in no particular cylinder order was 110, 117, 115, 97).
This was a relief because we will not have to touch the bottom end.
I ordered a new oil cooler, rear main seal, and a few other parts from Jbugs.

Body work wise, has been more (purists cover your ears and eyes) bondo and fiberglass.

That rusty piece of metal was literally just sitting in rear lower quarter panel. I pulled it out with a pair of pliers.

I pulled the driver side rear window and found some pretty serious rust.

But I went to the local VW junk yard and spent a good portion of my afternoon chopping up a parts bus.

The next steps are obviously putting the new parts on the engine, clean and reinstall old parts, check and make sure the clutch is good (it should be), put the engine back in, get the window area fixed, get the windshield area fixed, new seals on those two windows and the rear hatch. Then, my dad and I will finish our body work and hand it over to get a cheap paint job in either Lotus White or Savannah Beige.

As always, I hope everyone enjoyed this post!
Past:
69Weekender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 California Camper Reply with quote

Hello Samba members,
Here is a status report on the engine pull.
I finished putting it all back together (minus the carb)

J-tubes instead of heat exchangers

New rear main seal

I also painted the exhaust, the coil and the tins. I bent the crank pulley taking it off, so I got a new one.
I pulled the fuel tank to fix the sending unit and was pleasantly surprised with no rust or debris in the tank!

With the engine out, I cleaned and repainted the engine bay. I made a new battery tray out of old license plates.
Before:

After:

I ordered a tachometer and that will be installed once the motor is put back in.

Really all that is left is to reinstall the tank once the sending unit gets delivered, reinstall the engine and pray that nothing goes wrong. I didn't split the case or do anything large scale so wish me luck on that!

Once the motor goes back in, I will rebuild the carb and install new points, then it is off the the local ACVW man for a tune up and a new driver rear window sill.

Unrelated to the engine, I put in a new hatch window seal, and finished transferring all the hardware from my old driver door to a new old driver door.

Eventually, I will get the windshield rust fixed and finish filling the holes on the bus, throw a cheap Lotus White paint job on her and she will be "done"!

Wish me luck in the coming weeks!
Past:
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 California Camper Reply with quote

Test the new sending unit before you install it. There have been reports of new ones being off.

This thread gives some ohm readings
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7706426#7706426

Looking good
Tcash
69Weekender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 California Camper Reply with quote

Hello everyone,
Figured I should give a status report.
The engine was put back into the bus a couple days before I left to go back to school!
My dad and I put the engine back in fired it up, started first try, but....someone (me) forgot to put the oil cooler seals in so you can imagine that scene. I was in a rush because my move in date was approaching so I pulled the motor out myself, got the fan shroud off, and put the seals in. The next day I put the engine back in myself and once again, my old lady fired right up!

I had to evacuate from my school for Hurricane Irma, and I got the chance to button up some little things on the bus. I got my tach installed, put my dash top back on and put about 100 miles on the engine while I was home.

The biggest thing left to do is address the rust on the rear window. Since I am at school, my dad is going to take the bus to my mechanic for him to do the welding. Hopefully, that will be done soon!

Sorry, no pics this time. I will upload some when I go home in a couple weeks.
Past:
RBurn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 California Camper Reply with quote

Wow, i wish i had your energy. Loved reading this journey. Good job and glad to see your going to college.

Enjoy
70 T2 Model 221 *CARR FIRE Victim
70 T2 Model 231 *CARR FIRE Victim
69Weekender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 California Camper Reply with quote

Hello everyone,
Another mostly words update.
I have been able to come home a couple times since the hurricane. I haven't done much to the bus other than some cleaning. Winter break is around the corner so I will have time to put work into the old gal.
I came home for The Pasco County Bug Jam, a great show that draws hundreds of old dubs and thousands of spectators over the weekend.
I had to cut another window section out of a different bus and it is super solid. I will be dropping all my sheet metal and the bus off at my mechanic's shop in December.

Enjoy some Bug Jam pictures!

Past:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Page 9 of 11

Jump to: