Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Push rod adjustment?
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hotahseh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:38 am    Post subject: Push rod adjustment? Reply with quote

hey guys!

so i was in need to change my pedal assembly because my clutch hook had completely broken off. i was told i could just replace that piece but i figured i change the whole assembly so i know everything is new.

with that said i installed the new assembly with no issue except that when i turn my car on the brake lights immediately turn of and kinda flicker on and off without me even pushing on the breaks.

i was wondering if the push rod needed to be adjusted to remedy this issue? i have never adjusted one of them before but i am guessing that is the issue?

any help will be appreciated
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Push rod adjustment? Reply with quote

How much free play is there now?
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Push rod adjustment? Reply with quote

Sounds like there is NO free play, if its pushing the master cylinder pushrod in enough to activate the pressure switch. I think I'd shorten the pushrod like 2mm, try that, to get some free play. Too little free play also will cause the brakes to lock up after the fluid/brakes warm up.

So you may have to adjust the free play in small increments until you get there.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Hotahseh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Push rod adjustment? Reply with quote

yea i figured it was way to close, i dont have any free play since im not pressing the brakes and its already on.

so my next question will be when it comes to shortening the rod i need to just need to adjust the back screw further towards the end of the rod? my thoughts are that it will not allow the rod to enter the master cylinder as much since the nut will prevent it.

correct me if im wrong, again i never adjusted one of these and this is my first beetle lol young man trying to learn the ways
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Push rod adjustment? Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
Sounds like there is NO free play, if its pushing the master cylinder pushrod in enough to activate the pressure switch. I think I'd shorten the pushrod like 2mm, try that, to get some free play. Too little free play also will cause the brakes to lock up after the fluid/brakes warm up.

So you may have to adjust the free play in small increments until you get there.

x2 and don't get confused by the Bentley manual which has a scary warning to never alter this setting. This was for fairly new cars using all the original parts and German OEM. Swapping in another pedal cluster Will most likely necessitate changing the that push rod setting.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Push rod adjustment? Reply with quote

Yes screw it back to shorten
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Push rod adjustment? Reply with quote

I don't know what year your bug is, but in my 1974 a 1 mm internal clearance, from the tip of the mc pushrod to the mc piston was required.

You can't measure that--but ... wait .. yes, you can.

That 1 mm clearance is achieved by adjusting your pushrod so that you have 1/4 inch of complete free play at the pedal before you feel (by hand--not your foot) the rod contacting the mc piston.

Loosen the pushrod lock nut and screw the pushrod in until it touches the mc piston--then back it out one-half turn. Then press on the pedal and measure with a straight ruler for the 1/4 inch free play at the top of the pedal. You may have to turn a tad, either way to achieve this distance.

If your pushrod happens to be in too tightly, then back out it a bit; then do the above procedure.

Tighten the lock nut when done.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Push rod adjustment? Reply with quote

Before you start messing around with the pedal push rod length, the very first thing you should be doing is to ensure you have the pedal adjusted correctly so as to have proper travel. With the brake pedal at rest, measure the distance from the top of the pedal directly forward to the firewall -- you should have right about 8 inches or slightly more. If the measurement is less than 8 inches, you must adjust the pedal stop (the bracket bolted to the floor pan) to get the correct measurement. Only once you have the correct pedal travel should you consider adjusting the push rod.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Push rod adjustment? Reply with quote

mukluk wrote:
Before you start messing around with the pedal push rod length, the very first thing you should be doing is to ensure you have the pedal adjusted correctly so as to have proper travel. With the brake pedal at rest, measure the distance from the top of the pedal directly forward to the firewall -- you should have right about 8 inches or slightly more. If the measurement is less than 8 inches, you must adjust the pedal stop (the bracket bolted to the floor pan) to get the correct measurement. Only once you have the correct pedal travel should you consider adjusting the push rod.

This is good advice.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: