Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Help identifying Syncro springs
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Californio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 5:17 pm    Post subject: Help identifying Syncro springs Reply with quote

I'm thinking of replacing my shocks and/or springs to give my 87 Syncro Westy a softer ride--right now it loosens your fillings when you hit a bump.

How can you tell what springs you have?

Right now it's fitted with OME shocks all around, and the springs are either painted or powder coated black. Since this was done by the PO, I have no idea what the springs are.

Any Syncro/Westy springs that would have been on the market 7-15 years ago, black in color, that someone might have mated to OME shocks?

If I can't get OEM shocks on there without replacing the springs to match, I'm considering the VC Trailmaster kit.
hans j
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Help identifying Syncro springs Reply with quote

You can measure the wire diameter and do some calculations and get the rate. More than likely, they are too stiff because I know OME aren't stiff.

Shwenk springs now has some lighter duty springs that I'm thinking about trying. I've never liked stiff springs.
Californio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Help identifying Syncro springs Reply with quote

Good information.

Another question. Could a bad shock/spring combination produce a handling problem? Everything in the steering system has been replaced, even to the gearbox, but it still drives as though it has slop in it, esp. at 50-65 mph. It is NOT a wheel/tire problem, a steering system problem, or an alignment problem.

This is why we're thinking shocks and springs, unlikely as that may be.
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Help identifying Syncro springs Reply with quote

Hello!

springs are color coded with little stripes of paint, clean them, they're often still there Wink
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
Californio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Help identifying Syncro springs Reply with quote

Yes but I thought this was only for OEM, which weren't painted. These are shiny black if you scrape the crud off.
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Help identifying Syncro springs Reply with quote

Stock Springs are powder coated and have paint marks to identify.
Californio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Help identifying Syncro springs Reply with quote

OK time to get out the pressure washer and see what's what. I thought the OEM springs were raw steel.
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Help identifying Syncro springs Reply with quote

Stock springs taper at the ends of the coils, aftermarket springs are the same size all the way to the end.
Stock springs are nice and soft so I would assume you have a aftermarket version.
Californio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: Help identifying Syncro springs Reply with quote

So I just had the van aligned and it turns out the ride height is lower than it should be--18" on one side, 18.5" on the other. This made it so the alignment guy had to manually enter 20" to get the specs from his machine.

In 2014 I drove for about 8K miles with a motorcycle on the front (Honda CT70, maybe 220 lbs. including the rack) through all kinds of territory including hundred of miles of washboard in Saline Valley to 5,000 miles on the interstate from CA to Washington DC...etc.

Question: Is it time to replace springs and if so, how can I compensate for the (now occasional) weight of the CT70 on the front?

I've been thinking of the VC Trailmaster set up because it's integrated and seems to have gotten good reviews.
hans j
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: Help identifying Syncro springs Reply with quote

Cutting board spacers to raise up the low side will work just fine.
Californio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Help identifying Syncro springs Reply with quote

Sounds like a good start, but I though you could only put spacers on the rear.
hans j
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Help identifying Syncro springs Reply with quote

I'd start with the rear and see where the front ends up. Corner weighting does funny things to opposite springs! I've seen some aluminum front spacers used in some kits, but that would probably be too much height.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: