Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1956 23-Window at Barrett-Jackson - Whose Bus is this?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Douglas Denlinger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: Whose 1956 23-Window at Barrett-Jackson bus is this? Reply with quote

Erik G wrote:
I don't get the appeal of Barett Jackson to a seller. There are plenty of quality auctions which allow a reserve.

I agree about the color comment on the 21 that went right before the 23. It did look very nice on stage.

There were lots of factors going into this years auction.....

1) Barrett-Jackson is back under control of the Jacksons, the auctioneers that really worked the crowd are out. It no longer has the best vehicles available....that has been declining for several years due to the no reserve thing.

2) Economy, stock market, election year..... read into that however you want, my 30 years of experience has been it's always bad for auctions. All of the auctions were down, all of the makes and models down.

3) All of the buses were terrible restorations.....beyond terrible in most cases.

The 56 was the best but still has tons of reproduction parts, taillights, reflectors, middle seat, kick panels, wrong logo repo glass, etc. the last 10% of a passion driven restoration , or $10,000.

If the seller used their get out of jail free card, they may have purchased the car back.....so look for it for sale here, Oldbug.com, Holygrail, or a show near you soon

Is the sky falling......no, just hopefully the end of the make a quick buck chop shops that don't care about the vehicle, just their wallet.

Active 23 Window Samba Collector/Restorer,since 1986
AirCooledClassics
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: Whose 1956 23-Window at Barrett-Jackson bus is this? Reply with quote

I believe the the result of Jacksons auction do have a bearing on the American market,This auction is watched by car geeks across the world. For the last 15 years they achieve higher prices at Scotsdale than any other auction company. I've sold at RM and Kruse in Phoenix and can say I wish I was on Jacksons stage . When did they start a get out of jail free card? The thought of selling at a loss is one of the fears of this auction. It's going to be a lot harder to get higher prices for anyone selling their bus now. Lets face it most vw guys don't cut a check for 100,000.00 . The people that buy our nice buses are older and have got the money, They control the pricing now!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJoq3MtsPmc

My National Dragster article
http://www.dragracecentral.com/DRCStory.asp?ID=231552
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
motofly196
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: Whose 1956 23-Window at Barrett-Jackson bus is this? Reply with quote

I believe the Barrett auction has a direct correlation on the American market as well. I can't even count how many Non-Car types I've met that tell me "I saw this car on that auction thingy...it's WORTH WAYYY more than what you think!"
It will be interesting to see how fast it affects the vehicle asking prices on this website.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: Whose 1956 23-Window at Barrett-Jackson bus is this? Reply with quote

motofly196 wrote:
Wow...the opposite of Ebay! So it probably pays better to drag a vehicle to Barrett Jackson to sell, instead of losing 9% fees to Ebay, and another 4% fees to Paypal. Interesting.....

Correction on this:
eBay Vehicles sales are a fixed price, not a percentage.

Most vehicles sales on eBay take Paypal for the non-refundable deposit only so limited paypal fees too.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: Whose 1956 23-Window at Barrett-Jackson bus is this? Reply with quote

bubba wrote:
In the BJ world.. A pretty colored 66 21 is worth more than an almost correct 56 23... Makes you wonder...

I don't know if it affected the price here but I do wonder if Chestnut Brown and Sealing Wax Red are appealing to the mass market.

I think that about Mouse Grey too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: Whose 1956 23-Window at Barrett-Jackson bus is this? Reply with quote

motofly196 wrote:
I believe the Barrett auction has a direct correlation on the American market as well. I can't even count how many Non-Car types I've met that tell me "I saw this car on that auction thingy...it's WORTH WAYYY more than what you think!"

My opinion is that it won't affect those people at all.

They will still think their car is more some insane amount because of one sale, regardless of how many other cars, better or worse, sold for less.
vwmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: Whose 1956 23-Window at Barrett-Jackson bus is this? Reply with quote

The funny thing was the commentators on Velocity seemed very surprised the busses where brining 75k+, even comparing them to a Rolls Royce which sold right after one for less, lol.
Douglas Denlinger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: Whose 1956 23-Window at Barrett-Jackson bus is this? Reply with quote

AirCooledClassics wrote:
When did they start a get out of jail free card? The thought of selling at a loss is one of the fears of this auction.

It's called "owner buy back", not entirely "free". For example if your the type that has $5-100k into a car and don't want to take in the shorts, you can be the last bidder....pay a percentage of the final bid, you take the car home wait for a better day. Owner buy back has been around as long as I has been involved with auctions. So the fear is only if you don't want to drop more $ into your vehicle. Which if your already at the point that your taking your car to an auction to sell, you've pretty much made up your mind your going to sell. Most of the recent buses at auction the sellers do not have a passion for buses, rather a passion for $.

Active 23 Window Samba Collector/Restorer,since 1986
motofly196
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: Whose 1956 23-Window at Barrett-Jackson bus is this? Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
motofly196 wrote:
Wow...the opposite of Ebay! So it probably pays better to drag a vehicle to Barrett Jackson to sell, instead of losing 9% fees to Ebay, and another 4% fees to Paypal. Interesting.....

Correction on this:
eBay Vehicles sales are a fixed price, not a percentage.

Most vehicles sales on eBay take Paypal for the non-refundable deposit only so limited paypal fees too.

Oh, ok...I've never sold a vehicle on Ebay, just parts. So typically the larger portion of the sale is done outside of Paypal then? That would make sense to do it that way, as long as you are comfortable with the buyer. Where at an Auction, the whole sale is taken care of for you? Plus...if you have a vehicle that is televised, they are doing "online" sales too for you. Best of both worlds there I suppose. In that aspect, I'm really surprised online bidding didn't get more attention on the 56' bus last night.
motofly196
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: Whose 1956 23-Window at Barrett-Jackson bus is this? Reply with quote

Douglas Denlinger wrote:
AirCooledClassics wrote:
When did they start a get out of jail free card? The thought of selling at a loss is one of the fears of this auction.

It's called "owner buy back", not entirely "free". For example if your the type that has $5-100k into a car and don't want to take in the shorts, you can be the last bidder....pay a percentage of the final bid, you take the car home wait for a better day. Owner buy back has been around as long as I has been involved with auctions. So the fear is only if you don't want to drop more $ into your vehicle. Which if your already at the point that your taking your car to an auction to sell, you've pretty much made up your mind your going to sell. Most of the recent buses at auction the sellers do not have a passion for buses, rather a passion for $.

That makes it seem a little safer for the seller, I never knew that! It sure helps to get your "insider" view! Thanks for clearing that up! But you are right, unless you are really losing a ton of $$ invested, do you really want to put MORE back into the vehicle to buy it back and try again? Plus haul it home?
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: Whose 1956 23-Window at Barrett-Jackson bus is this? Reply with quote

Thanks for your observations and info Doug - most of us would never know this stuff, other than someone like you explaining it

I watched most of the auction from my iPad, so I couldn't really tell about quality of the cars but I can imagine. I've been told it's this way with other cars their too, big dollar mustangs that hardly have a single original part on them, visible problems with the body work, etc.

I have been meaning to check out Meccum auctions when they come to Houston. There is another Auction here yearly, and the cars are a real mix. You might see a known 99 point award winning car, and the very next one will be an obvious "chop shop" type slap together car. And Brazilian buses...
Adam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: Whose 1956 23-Window at Barrett-Jackson bus is this? Reply with quote

Just listening to the broadcasters they sound pretty knowledgeable on the cars, but once a Volkswagens comes up and I hear what they have to say I start to wonder if the American car guys think they're full of crap as much as I do?
motofly196
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: Whose 1956 23-Window at Barrett-Jackson bus is this? Reply with quote

On most of the auctions I watched...the answer would be Yes, they were full of crap most of the time on the American cars too. In their defense though, they have notes on the car, so if the owner doesn't know shit about their car, or are up selling it for auction...that's what is in the notes.
How many car shows have you been to where the owner of the car didn't build it, and they have absolutely no idea about the details of their OWN car? Those are the people the announcers have to deal with I'm sure. Unless it is a known, well documented car. Like the 63 1/2 Galaxie Cobra Jet car I mentioned earlier.
vwbusman66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: Whose 1956 23-Window at Barrett-Jackson bus is this? Reply with quote

I watched from 7:30 till about 10:30 and saw that Mercedes 540k go for 1.5 mil and then some stupid rare pre war Caddilac sell for 200k when the catalog was at 750k. Talbot lagos selling for sub-500k. Did anyone see the guy who stole that Boyd Coddington car for 325k? They stopped the auction and made it very clear what they were selling and how rare it was. I think a car recession is coming, and Im not exactly complaining. Laughing
A lot of really great deals were had on Saturday night, which is renown for being the night when money is burned for fun! Stunning cobras for under 150k and boss 429s for 110k.

Im actually hoping buses become devalued after tonight. That means I could possibly find a 21 project (or a double cab, for that matter) within a budget that could allow me to have a true beater.
Just my $0.02
James
Click to view image
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rancho909dude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Whose 1956 23-Window at Barrett-Jackson bus is this? Reply with quote

In my opinion the stance, color combo, motor and cool factor may bring more, than a correctly restored VW when it comes to auction. I've seen beautiful modified "incorrect" restored cars being sold for more money than the uber correct restored vehicles. I figure most of the high roller buyers that go to B.J. are there to buy something cool or to have fun in, over the ones that are there to add to their museum.
campingbox Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Whose 1956 23-Window at Barrett-Jackson bus is this? Reply with quote

Four 21 Windows, only one had a middle seat kick panel. That bus sold for $35k more than the other three. The people building these busses for resale should take note and stop being cheap and thinking the buyers at these auctions don't care about the details.
vwbusman66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Whose 1956 23-Window at Barrett-Jackson bus is this? Reply with quote

campingbox wrote:
Four 21 Windows, only one had a middle seat kick panel. That bus sold for $35k more than the other three. The people building these busses for resale should take note and stop being cheap and thinking the buyers at these auctions don't care about the details.

Its amazing what that little piece does to make the interior of a bus look more complete!
Click to view image
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Whose 1956 23-Window at Barrett-Jackson bus is this? Reply with quote

vwbusman66 wrote:
campingbox wrote:

Its amazing what that little piece does to make the interior of a bus look more complete!

Obviously I'm biased towards that piece, but it extends to other details as well.

Like Doug says, the last 10% is enthusiast driven. I'm just pointing out that the passion can pay off.

That blue 21 looks nice, what was it like in person? The other three 21s did not look all that hot but I think all four of them sold for pretty high prices.

The 23 seemed underpriced - I'm sure we'll see it back up for sale for more soon.
EmpiGT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Whose 1956 23-Window at Barrett-Jackson bus is this? Reply with quote

campingbox wrote:
vwbusman66 wrote:
campingbox wrote:

Obviously I'm biased towards that piece, but it extends to other details as well.

Like Doug says, the last 10% is enthusiast driven. I'm just pointing out that the passion can pay off.

That blue 21 looks nice, what was it like in person? The other three 21s did not look all that hot but I think all four of them sold for pretty high prices.

The 23 seemed underpriced - I'm sure we'll see it back up for sale for more soon.

It had a middle seat kick panel but it was attached to a bay middle seat Rolling Eyes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Whose 1956 23-Window at Barrett-Jackson bus is this? Reply with quote

EmpiGT wrote:
campingbox wrote:
vwbusman66 wrote:
campingbox wrote:

It had a middle seat kick panel but it was attached to a bay middle seat :roll:

I know, imagine how much the bus would have gone for if it had the correct seat too!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

Jump to: