Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Keep the spare tire mount on the front?
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should I keep the spare mount on the front, or go back to the VW logo?
Yes, keep the spare on the front.
8%
 8%  [ 4 ]
No, go back to the VW logo.
92%
 92%  [ 46 ]
Total Votes : 50

penguinchicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:42 am    Post subject: Keep the spare tire mount on the front? Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Forgive the backwards picture, it is a photo of a slide!

Hi all, I'm finally about ready to start some paint and body work on my 65 camper. I think it's either a Caravelle or a Rivera. I was wondering what the community thinks about keeping the spare mount on the front of the bus, or taking it off and going back to the VW logo?

Thanks!

Robert
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: Keep the spare tire mount on the front? Reply with quote

I'd NEVER put the tire on the nose! My '71 came that way, and one day a pickup truck backed into it. Nose damage was extensive, as the nose structure isn't very strong. I'd imagine a split nose would be weaker.

Word to the wise...
When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. The pain is only felt by others.
Same thing happens when you're stupid. - Philippe Geluck
More VW electrical at http://telforddorr.com/ (available 9am to 9pm PST)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
FarmerBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: Keep the spare tire mount on the front? Reply with quote

I removed the nose mounted spare on my split immediately. Unfortunately the metal is a little distorted underneath, not like lit got hit, but more like someone climbed on top of the spare. Just more body work for my restoration. If the metal behind it is straight, get it off there before it causes damage, if it's already bent you might want to leave it on there until you're ready to fix the damage.
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: Keep the spare tire mount on the front? Reply with quote

My first bus was a '67 W/T camper (American?)- so the spare tire well was occupied by a cabinet. The nose was crushed at least twice involving the spare. bumper to bumper contact causes a horizontal nose crease. Bumper to spare tire contact dents your bus right up to your wiper shafts.

My remedy was to lay down on the floor between the seats and kick with both feet like Houdini in borrowed chains in order to kick out that nose.

And your spare rides a little higher than most- more reason to pull that hippie ladder off there.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
penguinchicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Keep the spare tire mount on the front? Reply with quote

Thanks everyone! I just didn't want to damage the collectible value by changing something that Caravelle or Rivera might have put on there.
It's funny how stuck I can get on some things. Shocked
iamdonquixote
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: Keep the spare tire mount on the front? Reply with quote

do you have a recent picture of the bus ?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 5:54 am    Post subject: Re: Keep the spare tire mount on the front? Reply with quote

a spare tire on the front is an excellent way to protect your bumper from impact. Then again, that is what a bumper is for, isn't it?

I bought a bus with a spare tire mount. It came off the same day... the damage to the nose from it just being there...

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: Keep the spare tire mount on the front? Reply with quote

Get rid of it! Get a lovely logo back there in it's proper place!

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
FarmerBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: Keep the spare tire mount on the front? Reply with quote

penguinchicken wrote:
Thanks everyone! I just didn't want to damage the collectible value by changing something that Caravelle or Rivera might have put on there.
It's funny how stuck I can get on some things. Shocked

I have an EZ-camper that was built on a walk-through kombi and I always assumed the spare was hung on the nose by them. With the spare tire well in the rear cargo area covered by the third cushion for the bed, they had to put it somewhere. I still removed it, the nose is a terrible place to put the spare. I don't know what the sop was for Caravelle or Rivera.
penguinchicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: Keep the spare tire mount on the front? Reply with quote

hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Keep the spare tire mount on the front? Reply with quote

Holy smokes! That mount looks like one made for the bedside of a 1948 Dodge Power Wagon! Yes, it must go!

Way too high, way too heavy, way too Chevy.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Keep the spare tire mount on the front? Reply with quote

That spare tire mount is the style which Riviera commonly installed onto their bay window campers. They make a satisfying thunk when I throw them into the recycling bin. Seriously. Done it plenty of times.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mdege
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 10:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Keep the spare tire mount on the front? Reply with quote

I understand all of the reasons to remove it. And it is technically certainly better to remove it. But on the other hand most people are removing them these days. Soon none will be left and it really is part of the history of these vehicles, which were used for camping.

I like the look, but I would never add that feature to a bus which doesn't already have it. But if it is already there, why not.

1965 21F: Restoration of a former '65 firetruck
1963 Typ3 Notchback project
1988 Multivan Magnum 112i
1984 Standard: My son wanted a bug for his first car
FarmerBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: Keep the spare tire mount on the front? Reply with quote

Wow! That's a tire mount. It looks like it's made from 3/16 plate steel. If you're worried about the historical preservation of the vehicle you can always keep it on the shelf. Then if you or the next owner ever wants to go back to the front mount spare it's an option.
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Keep the spare tire mount on the front? Reply with quote

Although not a choice in the poll I wonder if you could put the spare in the spare tire well.
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Keep the spare tire mount on the front? Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
Although not a choice in the poll I wonder if you could put the spare in the spare tire well.

Laughing
penguinchicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Keep the spare tire mount on the front? Reply with quote

Yep, beefy! Big ol' 17mm nuts and bolts holding that guy on.
brr42
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Keep the spare tire mount on the front? Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:

I have a 66 Riviera walk thru with the spare on the nose. I am very careful where I park and so far have not incurred any damage. We don't do much camping anymore so I would like to move it back to the wheel well but Riviera hacked the hold down off so there is nothing to keep it in place. Some day I will find the mount and make the move which will leave me having to patch the mounting holes in the nose.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Keep the spare tire mount on the front? Reply with quote

… I've been faced with the same situation and like the patina and emblem look the best - is a little extra work, changing it all out, but worth it to me - if you really like the spare better, go with that - it does offer a bit of extra protection - no one way is better - z

11/4/52, black Zwitter - SOLD to my little bro.
1954 Porsche, pre A, with VW 36 horse- SOLD
1/54, black 11C Beetle - TRADED
2/55 Iceland green Beetle, on a 1965 pan
3/55 113 Beetle, stratos silver
1955 Messerschmitt KR175 - SOLD, sadly
1960 single cab
1962 SO33, with SO 42 interior
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2
'02 WestFORDia E-150, GAVE TO OUR SON

All super-heroes, wear a MASK
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: