Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How to adjust heat diverter / heat distribution valve cable
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
surfbus23
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: How to adjust heat diverter / heat distribution valve cable Reply with quote

This one officially has me stumped. I can't seem to get this to work. I've got the cable unhooked and my lever goes up all the way nicely. I then hop under the bus and do exactly as eche_bus describes. Everything looks nice. However, once I move the lever down I can no longer push it back up. It just gets all this resistance. Any thoughts on what I'm missing here?

Done this 4 or 5 times. Tried different attachment points. I keep getting too much resistance for the lever to hold. Tightening up the bolt would just make the levers impossible to move.

EDIT: I tightened down the bolt at the levers for more resistance. Seems to be the trick. I wasn't sure how much drag these levers were supposed to have. Can anyone confirm that they have a decent amount of drag? The blue one seems to be able to have a more smooth movement. Not as much to overcome as the springs in the diverter I guess.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: How to adjust heat diverter / heat distribution valve cable Reply with quote

How to adjust the cable
1. Push the dash lever all the way up. Now get back under the bus.
2. Insert the cable jacket retaining clip into the hole in the diverter valve control arm, placing the cable under it, but don't snap it down.
3. Pull the valve control arm toward the rear of the bus, pulling against the spring tension, all the way to the travel limit.
4. Push on the cable jacket so the ball stop at the tip of the boot sits right up against that hidden metal flange/tab the cable wire goes through at the top of the valve.
5. Press the retaining clip down to snap in place, securing the cable.
6. Go back up inside the bus and move that dash lever midway down.
7. Crawl back under the bus and marvel that the control valve arm has moved all the way to the other end of travel!
8. Go back up inside the bus. Move that arm all the way down to Defrost. Note that it doesn't jam or bind.

3. Pull the valve control arm toward the rear of the bus, pulling against the spring tension, all the way to the travel limit.
Is it the spring tension of the Control arm pushing the lever back up and the control lever will not stay in the down position?
Is the spring to strong?
surfbus23
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: How to adjust heat diverter / heat distribution valve cable Reply with quote

Tcash wrote:
How to adjust the cable
Is it the spring tension of the Control arm pushing the lever back up and the control lever will not stay in the down position?
Is the spring to strong?

I think it was the tension of the spring. What I don't understand though is why if I had the cable unhooked I could move the lever to the UP position and then attach it with the rear diverter open. For some reason being in the UP position and then hooked up it could resist the spring but once I moved it out of the UP position it would no longer retain the UP position. I settled on adding a lot more resistance to the levers. Still a strange occurrence.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: How to adjust heat diverter / heat distribution valve cable Reply with quote

Take a look at the flaps. If I am getting this right?

Heat distribution lever up: Front and rear foot wells fully open.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Heat distribution lever in the middle: Only front foot wells open.
Left flap should be open - Right flap should be closed

Heat distribution lever down: Oulets below the window open / Front and rear foot wells closed

The cable step goes through the little hole.
The rust colored ball is pushed home against the little hole.
The lever is twisted against the spring tension.
The cable housing is clamped down in this position.

Busload
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: How to adjust heat diverter / heat distribution valve cable Reply with quote

Help. I am in the process of getting the Heat diverter/heat distribution valve control Cables working again on my two 1973 buses. As usual, the red dash slide control does not work because the Cable going from front of bus to the Diverter control is extremely hard to move. I do not see anyone discussing the actual replacement of this roughly 9' cable. Why not? Can I make a replacement cable from a longer heater control cable or does someone know how to make the original cable wire travel for easily through the cable itself?
airkooledchris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: How to adjust heat diverter / heat distribution valve cable Reply with quote

My primary desire to have heat in my bus is for when I need the windows cleared. Once they are cleared, sending heat to the windshield and driver/passenger feet would be second.

It's ambitious to think about providing heat to the rest of the cab in any meaningful way, plus I almost never have passengers in the back (like im sure is the case for most of us.) If I have passengers in the back, it's summer and I don't need heat.

That said, I have done the Bluemaxx blower install in mine and it works GREAT. When I need the windows cleared quickly and not 10 minutes AFTER I start driving, I just crank the Bluemaxx on and it takes care of it in no time.

Next I think im going to just pull the cables so the heat is only going to the front seat area and close those vents nice and tightly with some aluminum tape or whatever hackey thing I can come up with at the time I craw under there again.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: How to adjust heat diverter / heat distribution valve cable Reply with quote

Busload wrote:
Help. I am in the process of getting the Heat diverter/heat distribution valve control Cables working again on my two 1973 buses. As usual, the red dash slide control does not work because the Cable going from front of bus to the Diverter control is extremely hard to move. I do not see anyone discussing the actual replacement of this roughly 9' cable. Why not? Can I make a replacement cable from a longer heater control cable or does someone know how to make the original cable wire travel for easily through the cable itself?

I agree with airkooledchris, with an otherwise stock system there just isn't enough heat to heat the entire bus, so you might as well run it all up front. If you really want lots of heat read about all the mods I did, it is all in the Blumaxx thread.
Busload
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: How to adjust heat diverter / heat distribution valve cable Reply with quote

Thanks for the responses about in-line fans etc. However, I am trying to see if I can get the stock heat diverter control system back to stock. What I need is advice by someone who has replaced (or fixed) the original approx. 8-9 foot cable that goes from lower dash of bus to the lever that controls the heat distribution valve on the pipe bringing warm air up from the heater boxes.
Thanks.
Richard
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: How to adjust heat diverter / heat distribution valve cable Reply with quote

Busload wrote:
Thanks for the responses about in-line fans etc. However, I am trying to see if I can get the stock heat diverter control system back to stock. What I need is advice by someone who has replaced (or fixed) the original approx. 8-9 foot cable that goes from lower dash of bus to the lever that controls the heat distribution valve on the pipe bringing warm air up from the heater boxes.
Thanks.
Richard

If you can find one for sale it shouldn't be hard to replace. You might also be able to remove your old one and get so oil down inside the sheath so it would work easier. But as we said there really isn't enough heat to go around unless you are only trying to make the cab comfortable at a 60° ambient.
KuskuVolks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: How to adjust heat diverter / heat distribution valve cable Reply with quote

Hi eche_bus.

I have the 1978 bus and do not know how to install the middle cable heat contributor and what is the small hole in metal for?

Please explain in details.

Your help is very appreciated.

Thx,
Justin Painter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: How to adjust heat diverter / heat distribution valve cable Reply with quote

Hello,

I understand everything in the thread beside the the Cable Jacket Retaining Clip that holds the cable to the arm. The clip posted in this thread looks like the clip for the tree diverter in the cab for the feet and defrost. Are they the same? The clip I have for the tree is very small and I don't see how it would work on the arm under the bus.

I have a 1979 T2 West and new cable for the diverter, looking for the correct clip.
Thanks
Justin
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: How to adjust heat diverter / heat distribution valve cable Reply with quote

I don't know but it was a real PITA getting one's hand up there to put that clip on. fiche lists both as 211 255 899 A
Justin Painter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: How to adjust heat diverter / heat distribution valve cable Reply with quote

I believe there are at least 2 different types of diverters and use different clips, I believe this clip works with an older bay diverter 211 255 899 A ?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 9:28 pm    Post subject: Re: How to adjust heat diverter / heat distribution valve cable Reply with quote

I just remember what a pain it was on my 1977. I thought it was a spring clip but the fiche only shows the one with the screw.
Justin Painter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 9:40 pm    Post subject: Re: How to adjust heat diverter / heat distribution valve cable Reply with quote

1977 and 1979 have to be the same, so you used those tabs to attach the cable to the arm? This thread doesnt mention that clip, they show a different clip?

This thread states these parts were together ?

thanks
Justin

Last edited by Justin Painter on Mon Jun 06, 2022 9:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 9:45 pm    Post subject: Re: How to adjust heat diverter / heat distribution valve cable Reply with quote

Justin - I just know it was a pain to get my hand up there to adjust it and painful. That is why I am thinking it was a spring clip but I could be wrong, it could have been a small screw. I don't know.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 11:11 pm    Post subject: Re: How to adjust heat diverter / heat distribution valve cable Reply with quote

Yes in some years at least the spring clip attaches the sheath to the arm.
Justin Painter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 5:15 am    Post subject: Re: How to adjust heat diverter / heat distribution valve cable Reply with quote

What type of clip is used? Is the picture of the clip and the armposted in this thread correct? If so how does does the clip connect the cable to the arm?

This thread is very helpful although the clip has me so confused

thanks
Justin
siearly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2023 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: How to adjust heat diverter / heat distribution valve cable Reply with quote

I realize this is an older thread but I see there are questions about the cable clip. I just got mine working thanks to this article but on my '77, the clip for the cable on the distribution box is NOT the same as one that secures the defrost cable. The defrost cable clip is still available but I've not found the distribution box clip. I suspect it is NLA.

Clip on left is for the defrost cable. Clip on right is for distribution box cable. They are quite different.

Justin Painter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2023 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: How to adjust heat diverter / heat distribution valve cable Reply with quote

Steve,

How does the diverter clip attach to the arm? Pictures?

Thanks
Justin
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: