Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

2.0 Type 4 Pushrod Tubes??
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
cmonSTART
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 11:53 am    Post subject: 2.0 Type 4 Pushrod Tubes?? Reply with quote

Is it me or are these hard to find? I'm putting together a parts list for this Winter and I'm coming up somewhat dry on these. I was hoping to replace all 8 of them with new.
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.0 Type 4 Pushrod Tubes?? Reply with quote

Have you checked FPCEuro.com?
They have the ones similar to original, instead of those weird spring-loaded ones.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cmonSTART
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.0 Type 4 Pushrod Tubes?? Reply with quote

Didn't see them there, but I found some on Rock Auto.

Weirdly I can't find them on Bus Depot where I'm making my parts list - a few others too.

Thanks Kent!
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.0 Type 4 Pushrod Tubes?? Reply with quote

they are in valve train https://www.busdepot.com/021109335c

there are a couple weird sizes out there from early T4 heads and engines these won't fit.
cmonSTART
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.0 Type 4 Pushrod Tubes?? Reply with quote

Ah, you know why? I was searching as "Pushrod" - one word.

Well there ya go.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.0 Type 4 Pushrod Tubes?? Reply with quote

Unless there is extensive rust or other damage, there isn't much reason to replace them. Of course being as you are in NH your definition of extensive rust is probably a lot different from mine.
cmonSTART
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.0 Type 4 Pushrod Tubes?? Reply with quote

They're pretty rusty and beat, also removal was a bit rough on them. For the money I'll just replace them again - might as well have some shiny ones for a bit.
Jetfxr69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 5:23 am    Post subject: Re: 2.0 Type 4 Pushrod Tubes?? Reply with quote

I got a bucket full of used ones if you want OG. They will need blasting and repainting and a few may be slightly crinkled from pliers grabbing them, but your welcome to a set.

I wont ever throw them away, and its not worth my time to sell, so they’re yours if you want.

‘77 westy Seamus
‘76 tintop Crusher
‘77 westy The Judge
‘72 tintop bastard westy Hudson
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.0 Type 4 Pushrod Tubes?? Reply with quote

cmonSTART wrote:
They're pretty rusty and beat, also removal was a bit rough on them. For the money I'll just replace them again - might as well have some shiny ones for a bit.

Mine are kind of like that too. I know you are supposed to remove them fingers only, but who has fingers like that? Add to that using sealant on the o-rings and they are hard to get out. I have tried the viton o-rings, every wonderful type of o-ring and grease...sooner or later one ends up leaking like a pig...This time around I am just cleaning them up and rattle canning the outside so they are nice to handle and easy to spot leaks when I install them. After that, they all go to hell anyway.
Vanagonsgoslow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.0 Type 4 Pushrod Tubes?? Reply with quote

cmonSTART wrote:
Is it me or are these hard to find? I'm putting together a parts list for this Winter and I'm coming up somewhat dry on these. I was hoping to replace all 8 of them with new.

There are two different pushrod tube sizes and they are not interchangeable. The ones on the 1.7L motors are smaller at the cylinder head end than at the crankcase end. All of the later pushrod tubes for 1.8L and 2.0L engines are the same size at both ends. The earlier 1.7L pushrod tubes be be identified by the parallel indentations along the sides near the cylinder head ends, while the later style have no indentations near the cylinder head ends. The holes for the pushrod tubes in 1.7L heads are a little smaller than the holes in the 1.8L and 2.0L heads, making it impossible to connect the tubes to the crankcase if you have the wrong size tubes. I learned this the hard way by buying the wrong pushrod tubes. New tubes for the earlier 1.7L heads are no longer available.
cellobus1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.0 Type 4 Pushrod Tubes?? Reply with quote

I thought all type 4 engines' PRTs had different sized seals on each end. That's why they are different colors.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.0 Type 4 Pushrod Tubes?? Reply with quote

cellobus1 wrote:
I thought all type 4 engines' PRTs had different sized seals on each end. That's why they are different colors.

I think all the bus tubes were noticeably larger on the head end than the block end and only the very early car heads used the odd small o-rings on the head end. Even then I don't know that the two ends were the same size, just closer in size than the later engines. Ray will probably chime in at some point.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: 2.0 Type 4 Pushrod Tubes?? Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
cellobus1 wrote:

I think all the bus tubes were noticeably larger on the head end than the block end and only the very early car heads used the odd small o-rings on the head end. Even then I don't know that the two ends were the same size, just closer in size than the later engines. Ray will probably chime in at some point.

Yes.
As far as I know....and I will check my parts book when I can get back to my computer later......the smaller, head end diameter PR tubes were ONLY on the early 411 1.7L.

Early means 1968 through maybe 1970.....and never officially shipped to or sold in the US market. There were some in Canada however so you can come across some of these engines up near the border states.

Virtually every 411 sold in the US.....I say virtually because there may have been a little bleed across of late 1970 parts in 1971....first model year in US.....had the larger PR tubes. At that point in time there were no 1.8s and no 2.0s.

By design....everything 1.7l from the 1971 model year onwards....in 411, 914, then 412 at about the same time as 1.7L bus.....all had one size of PR tube.

In late 1973 (1974 model year) the 412 and 914 got the 1.8 liter. I think the bus did too? All had the same PR tube size as the 1971 onward 1.7L. One size across all engines.

Yes....I think that there were some detail changes in the last of the 1.8s and 2.0s.....but nothing to do with seals.

The two grooves in the sides of the earlier pushrod tubes.....were there to fit a special pair of pliers that could more accurately be described as a pair of "tongs". This allowed mechanics to grasp and twist PR tubes whil pushing toward the head so they could be removed without damage. Of course at high miles they did not work well once the inner seals were hard as a rock. I have only seen one picture of these pliers at the dealer I used to go to in high school.....and they said they have never actually had a pair.....and always just replace the tubes. That was 1978 and 1979.

The o-ring color......was originally DESIGNED to mean something.....and the color coding of Viton was originally designed to mean something .....but because Viton manufacturers and individual seal manufacturing companies.....did not play along Rolling Eyes Laughing .....that went by the wayside many years ago.

Yes.....the early smaller seals were a different color. Red if memory serves. The later larger seals were green. The inner seals have always been black.

If I were to ask what color Viton IS.....and you said....red....green...black....or brown.....you would all be correct....and incorrect at the same time. Viton comes in any color you wqnt to have it molded in.

The viton COMPANIES .....originally tried hard to keep viton products color coded.....because there are at least four main "families" of viton......but unique manufacturing color requests from companies like Victor Reinz and others....threw that to the wind.

Add to this....cheaper or stranger companies making some of these same seals for their type 4 kits not out of viton....but out of silicone or neoprene with odd color variations......and you get what we have......PR tube seals made of mint green viton....mor chocolate brown Viton.....black viton inner seals....and even dark gray over the years. The brick red and chalky bright red outer seals (made of what Im not 100% sure).....even darker green outer seals instead of mint green. I have even seen some outer PR seals at one time for q sjjort period that were slightly translucent bluish.....obviously silicone.....

Ray
RONIN10
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: 2.0 Type 4 Pushrod Tubes?? Reply with quote

If money is no object:

https://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=C31%2D109%2D335%2D021CA

Out of Stock at the moment, though.

Oscar: 1976 Westfalia Deluxe Camper, 2.0L FI, Manual Transaxle
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: 2.0 Type 4 Pushrod Tubes?? Reply with quote

RONIN10 wrote:
If money is no object:

https://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=C31%2D109%2D335%2D021CA

Out of Stock at the moment, though.

Has anyone used those? Are they indeed a better fit?
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: 2.0 Type 4 Pushrod Tubes?? Reply with quote

To add to what I posted earlier:....AND...its complicated....

Original Push rod tube part #:
021 109 335 A

Used:
To engine # Z 0 009 406 (1.7L 411 carbs)
To engine # W 0 057 034 (1.7L 411 injection)

Part # 021 109 335 B (larger diameter tubes)

Used:
From engine # Z 0 009 407 (1.7L carbs)
From engine # W 0 057 035 (1.7L injection)
From engine # EA 0 000 001 (1.7L injection)

Bear in mind....the Z series and early W series that used the skinny pushrod tubes were only in very early cars. You need to look at the range of head numbers as well.

The early part # PR tube 021 109 335 A was used with head number
021 101 351 F....UP TO engine Z 0 000 406 in August of 1972 when it changed to 021 109 335 B. Then from that point on the head # used with Z series carbed engines was 021 101 351 R.

Alongside this...the W engine series UP TO.... W 0 057 034 used the same early smaller PR tube with head # 022 101 351 A. From W 0 057 035 and through W 0 129 581...it used PR tube # 021 109 335 B. This was up to August of 1972.

A quick note if you do not know: Engine cases and heads listed in the 411 and 914 parts books....the part # prefix 021= carbs for both automatics and manuals for both sedans and wagons. The part # prefix 022 = fuel injection for both automatics and manuals for both sedans and wagons

I'm not going to list it all. Suffice to say that from the onset of the type 4 engine in 1968/69....IN TYPE 4 CARS... through the end of the 1973 model year right before the 1.8L started.......there were five 1.7L cylinder head part numbers...just for the 411 and early 412.

021 101 351 A
021 101 351 B
021 101 351 D
021 101 351 F
021 101 351 R

There were four engine series V, Z, W, EA, EB. Only the V, Z and early W used the skinny pushrod tubes. V and Z series were only in carbs and only in 411 and possibly some 914...and never saw the light of day here. The EA never used the skinny tubes in the US product market.

Its a mess tracking these across just the type 4 car models. Ray
cmonSTART
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: 2.0 Type 4 Pushrod Tubes?? Reply with quote

Those seem a bit overkill - wow!

I'll stick to my rockauto.com specials.
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.0 Type 4 Pushrod Tubes?? Reply with quote

Those CSP pushrod tubes send my heart all aflutter.

I think I'll buy a set, and to just hold the cool metal against my cheek.

That, and take them to bed with me every night..

The ridge/shelf to lever against at removal time?
Genius!

Available in extended length for stroker motors?
Max ID clearance for high-lift cams?
Lifetime use - never smashed in at removal time again?

I'll never be able to be happy again unless a set sleeps beside me every night!

What’s That Noise?!?
cmonSTART
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.0 Type 4 Pushrod Tubes?? Reply with quote

Clatter wrote:

The ridge/shelf to lever against at removal time?
Genius!

I have to admit that would have been handy....
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.0 Type 4 Pushrod Tubes?? Reply with quote

I’d be more concerned with whether or not they produce a tighter fit.

When I powder coated my tubes I was sure to add extra coating where the o-rings go in hopes of making a tighter seal.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: