Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bought 27F Deep Charge Marine Battery and it fits
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
nextgen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 10:11 pm    Post subject: Bought 27F Deep Charge Marine Battery and it fits Reply with quote

I have a gasoline Generator. I do not have any heat source other then my Natural Gas hot water base board system. Did not want to go for the expense of the Change over Breaker box that disconnects the power from the street. I Cut the wire to the water pump and put a male / female connector on it. Pull them apart and the heating system is isolated from the power company. Then I would hook up my generator to the male plug. Yes it worked but a pain in the ass. In snow a few feet deep starting it and the smell and refill the gas.

Well I went to the 27F Marine battery with a 1500 watt ac inverter, I only lost power for 6 hours but it could have run it for days. The pump pulls less then 1 amp, and the system only comes on a few times an hour for a few minutes.
Worked great, simple and clean, no noise or smell. When the battery power drops below a safe level the inverter blasts an alarm and shuts off.

My car is away for the winter and the 27F fits in the bug, just makes it 13" long. Whats nice is I have a battery tender on it and in the spring it goes in the bug, it cost $79 at Costco. Now I am ready for the next storms for the next years. BTY it has 600 CCA's
LETS TALK DUBS https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=joe+cali+ghia https://letstalkdubs.libsyn.com/ep-200-joe-cali-ty...qI3xJTCzjs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 3:50 am    Post subject: Re: Bought 27F Deep Charge Marine Battery and it fits Reply with quote

Your lucky ,our well pump is 220v, so I need to use a gen. Rolling Eyes I know those aux. boxes are too pricey for me too Embarassed
now go fine a 80w solar panel to keep the battery charged and your all set Wink
76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
"If I'm ever on Life Support,UNPLUG Me, Then Plug me back In see if that Works"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nextgen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: Bought 27F Deep Charge Marine Battery and it fits Reply with quote

Solar Panel, good idea. Yep, people think, I have a sump pump, so I have no problem if it rains, they forget if it storms there is a good chance you can lose power.
LETS TALK DUBS https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=joe+cali+ghia https://letstalkdubs.libsyn.com/ep-200-joe-cali-ty...qI3xJTCzjs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: Bought 27F Deep Charge Marine Battery and it fits Reply with quote

Good quality 30A 240V generator transfer switch is only about $150 ... Its best solution for any situation where electricity and commercial level voltage and amperage are concerned....

Adding a Generac 6377 to my well line very soon as my well is deep and has 1 hp submersible pump and has startup surge enough to strangle some very small generators, mine is a 6800 watt so I can run well and maybe few lights and fridge in house... Also makes my power tools and 120v welder portable in good weather...

I absolutely abhor mickey mouse electrics as in a dark and stormy night working with flashlight is NOT when I what to trouble shoot funky connections....

Back to regularly scheduled program...

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
vdubyah73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Bought 27F Deep Charge Marine Battery and it fits Reply with quote

Two 6V GC2's in series would be better. 12V marine combo deep cycle/starter batteries do neither well. Two 6V GC2's are true deep cycle batteries,GC stands for Golf Cart. They are recommended for use as RV off the grid power sources. Approximately twice the amp hours of two marine combo 12V in parallel. Running down the GC2's doesn't take the life right out of them like running down a marine combo either they will last longer. Use the Marine batt in your car, and get a pair of GC2's if it's in your budget. Use a 2-10-50 amp Schumaker or similar to charge after a loss of power, Start charge at 50 amp reduce to 10 amp and finally 2amp as the needle drops. Then check monthly. Keep an eye on water level if they spend a lot of time on the charger. Use distilled water, available in gallon jugs in most supermarkets now.

Just saying from experience. We live in a 34' motorhome full time, and can go without power for a couple days using lights, computer, TV on inverter. Our propane fridge, water heater and furnace use 12V for the controls panels and the furnace use's 12V for the blower. We have a 4K Onan for AC and microwave. The Onan also charges batteries so we are self sufficient until we run out of water. we are generally in an RV park somewhere though.

It's nice living in a house on wheels, don't like your neighbor, neighborhood, job….Start your house up and drive away. To many jobs treat employees as disposable now a days. We treat jobs as disposable now.

Bill

73 bounty hunter, sold.
'77 transporter, junked had crotch rot.
Dubless, but have a CPR built stroker waiting for a new to me Beetle
'93 Fleetwood Bounder 34'
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: Bought 27F Deep Charge Marine Battery and it fits Reply with quote

We just got some Awesome 100amp Batteries , 2 makes them 4-5 old 135 amps wally world Marines act like D cells Rolling Eyes although Pricey
Cheers,Mike
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2022 3:33 am    Post subject: Re: Bought 27F Deep Charge Marine Battery and it fits Reply with quote

I have a 3300 watt power plant that runs everything in the house except the well. It's a 1/2 HP 120V pump which in theory should run on that powerplant but the startup surge is too high. The other problem with a gasoline powered backup is that when the power goes off for us it goes off for the fuel stations too. I can justify a 5 gallon jug or two of gas sitting around as I need some in the summer for lawn and garden equipment but that stuff goes stale if you have too much in reserve.

Deterioration is a problem with batteries too. Even the best quality battery will only last 5 or 6 years and you have to replace it whether it gets used much or not.

Diesel power plant might be a bit better but diesel has it's issues too. Summer diesel might be jelled if you need it in the winter so you need to fill your backup tank in the winter. The other issue is that diesel engines unless they have a source of heat will not start in the winter.

A propane or natural gas conversion on a gas powerplant sounds like a possibility to me. Propane would require a large-ish storage tank but at least propane doesn't deteriorate with age. Natural gas to me is the best choice. We have many power bumps and outages here in a year, sometimes several in a week but in the 25 years we have been here there has never been a natural gas interruption!

A few years back Princess Auto here in Canada was selling natural gas/propane power plants and I procrastinated. Now they don't sell them anymore so I am going to have to convert one myself. I'm thinking of installing a quick connector for a deck type barbeque and just a hose to the powerplant. If it works I just might convert the log splitter too!
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2022 5:16 am    Post subject: Re: Bought 27F Deep Charge Marine Battery and it fits Reply with quote

we have a Simuliere situation here, NO natural gas though Sad . 3300 watt Honda, I have a 'ProTran" transfer switch box with 6 circuit breakers ,our well pump is 220v so in order to get water I shut off all other circuits and although it 'Boggs the genny' for a sec, it does the job Wink so try shutting off the other circuits and Im thinking ur well pump may work? my new batteries have a 10 year warranty Wink

Last edited by madmike on Wed Nov 23, 2022 5:38 am; edited 1 time in total
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2022 5:34 am    Post subject: Re: Bought 27F Deep Charge Marine Battery and it fits Reply with quote

My well is 90 feet deep, how deep is yours?
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2022 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: Bought 27F Deep Charge Marine Battery and it fits Reply with quote

Laughing Same 90 feet,,I have a Grundfos Submersible pump 220 volt
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2022 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: Bought 27F Deep Charge Marine Battery and it fits Reply with quote

The Battle Born batteries are $800+ each and have a 10 year warranty. They should outlast 2 or 3 sets of lead acid batteries.

They were a lot more than I wanted to spend. I have the equivalent of 8 of those hanging on my wall, but built from raw LiFePO4 cells. Can power critical loads at my house for 36 hours or longer if I have sun (solar panels for charging).

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2022 4:47 am    Post subject: Re: Bought 27F Deep Charge Marine Battery and it fits Reply with quote

Yea, $850 each Shocked
So Q-Dog did u build ur own Battery? do tell Laughing 8 would run my whole Farm Laughing Cheers,Mike
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2022 5:48 am    Post subject: Re: Bought 27F Deep Charge Marine Battery and it fits Reply with quote

madmike wrote:
Laughing Same 90 feet,,I have a Grundfos Submersible pump 220 volt

I used to have a 3/4 hp 240 volt submersible and a 3300 watt 120 volt powerplant so no joy. When we drilled the new well I bought a 1/2 hp 120v submersible pump thinking that might be a better match but - half the voltage takes twice the current to do the same job.
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2022 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Bought 27F Deep Charge Marine Battery and it fits Reply with quote

Our Grundfos has a regular old Franklin (1/2hp 4.8 amp) Motor Wink Had a Buddy that worked at 'Monsanto' and he said they pumped pure Acid with them Shocked ,,so Good enough for Well Water ,, things been in the ground for 35 years ,,,, knock on wood Laughing
Cheers,Mike
Emily's Owner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Bought 27F Deep Charge Marine Battery and it fits Reply with quote

On the farm in Pendleton we had a power pole that stood between the 2 houses on the property - if the power went out it was set up so the big tractor (Ford 8800 series) was plugged in, and we ran the whole farm from it (7 buildings and 2 wells) as long as we needed. We had auxiliary fuel tanks in the machine shed, but the tractor sipped fuel in power plant mode - it was pretty handy to run the important stuff.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

ITMC - OG Den Mother

What (and I cannot stress this enough) The Actual Fuck?!

1974 Transporter
2023 Subaru Outback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: